Woz: ‘Arrogant’ Apple should have made a large version of the iPhone
Woz is one of our favorite people in tech not just because of his legacy, but also because of his honesty to speak out what he sees right even when it could turn out to be harmful for his company.
“I think Apple tricked itself and said ‘oh you could reach everything with one thumb’ and I don’t see anybody having any trouble using the larger screens. Apple said that as a defensive move because when the other phones came out they all had larger screens. Apple is now trying to run with that defence, saying ‘we are right’ and really there’s a mix of people. Not all people want the same thing and a lot of people really like the big screens.”
What about you? Do you want a bigger iPhone?
1. Reverence (Posts: 197; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
what about ipad mini.....did Apple sent invitations?
2. ajac09 (Posts: 1107; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
looks like no invites where sent yesterday LOL and the woz is god
24. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 (Posts: 154; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
I saw this video it was very funny I am an apple fan but the idea was really amazing
3. shy2papa (Posts: 180; Member since: 23 Jan 2010)
I thought i was the only one thinking like that, Nice one Steve Wozniak totally agree with you.
37. ayephoner (Posts: 832; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
apple would be very smart if they were to bring woz back. they need a face and voice for the company. i think woz would be perfect. he really seems to understand the landscape as well.
that might truly make them an inovating company again, instead of a profit hungry one.
49. thunder18 (Posts: 65; Member since: 06 Aug 2009)
Not to mention he's just likeable. For everything Apple does that is arrogant, you just have this jolly engineer as the public face of the company.
11. rickywinataa (Posts: 261; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
you should watch apple's keynotes & see how many insult they gave to android & other competitors
18. nwright94 (unregistered)
He's being sarcastic :p
19. QWIKSTRIKE (Posts: 627; Member since: 09 Mar 2010)
M y niece an iPhone fanatic could not be told about any thing other than iPhone. That is until she played with my GS3 a few months ago, and after having the new iPhone for a week sent it back in exchange for the new in coming note 2.
I asked her what made her change her mind, and she said it was no different than her iPhone 4, and was boring when compared to my GS3. She said the note pen and stats were better spec'd than my GS3, and the "phablet" appealed to her more than the new iPhone.
The funny thing is that she said she liked how simple the iPhone was to use when compared to my GS3 and that it was her phone of choice since its introduction when she was playing with my GS3 back then.
She said the new iPhone fell behind Android based on the iPhone 5 functionality over all.
22. nicholassss (Posts: 341; Member since: 10 May 2012)
My best buddy has been team iPhone since the first one just yesterday j talked him out of the iPhone 5... he's jumping ship to the note 2 and he's unbelievably excited about it.
27. BadAssAbe (Posts: 433; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
So many dislikes and likes,
Apple iSheep who dont understand sarcasm= likes
Foreign users who dont understand sarcasm = dislikes
Me = confused
43. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
The sarcastic way of saying it:
"Apple arrogant? Noooooooo..........."
and you could than add "sarcasm" not to confuse 50% of the readers:)
46. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2375; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Apple?.... arogant?? psst....Noo....lol
6. Aeires (unregistered)
Apple is notorious for making grand, adamant statements about their products, and other's products too. Instead of living in a world of absolutes that come back to haunt them, they need to open their eyes to how the world and tech is changing, then embrace it. Their "we know what's best for you" attitude isn't cutting it, Woz nailed it with statements on making two phones.
Android is dominating in sales because one size doesn't fit all approach.
7. No_Nonsense (Posts: 825; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
And that's why I admire this Steve rather than Jobs.
51. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 367; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
such a difference between the two, i agree.
8. alan_1230 (Posts: 49; Member since: 22 Apr 2012)
thats is a good idea a big iPhone and a small one for the small hands .
54. thunder18 (Posts: 65; Member since: 06 Aug 2009)
The main problem is Apple wouldn't be able to maximize profits if they made 2 sizes of phones. That would required 2 production lines and the amoun tof profit on each device would be lower. They are simply too concerned with profit margins. Conversely, every other phone maker's profits per device pale in comparison to iPhones, but there's a trade-off each way you look at it.
9. maxican16 (Posts: 361; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
That silly commercial they run about the laws of physics and your thumb.... I mean, seriously apple. It's nice to hear someone with so much authority calling them out on that for what it truly is: arrogance.
10. rusticguy (Posts: 2697; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Apple will be forced to change the way it thinks if not we are just looking at RIM few years down the line ...
12. Seymur (unregistered)
"Do you want a bigger iPhone?"
13. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
If apple had two concurrent iphone models they wouldnt be able to post those big sales figures. Why make split sales between two products when they know everyone will buy the singlular model?
Ugh I'm going to stop reading these apple articles. I'm perfectly happy with my sgs3.
14. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Actually apple lumps all their iphone sales figures into one, they don't differentiate between OG, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, and 4Stretch, whereas other OEMs will, i.e. Galaxy S2 vs Galaxy S3, and then total sales figures for the entire Galaxy line
15. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
No they don't. Whenever Apple releases sales figures, they specify by model. Some news agencies may group them, but their quarterly earnings report breaks them up by model. The only time Apple lumps all models together for comparison is if they are talking about iOS adoption rates. In those cases they will say this is how many folks are on iOS 6 versus the latest version of Android.
17. sarb009 (Posts: 251; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
We just dont want any iPhone nor smaller neither bigger.
20. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Even Apple's own members do not like the company's policies. Personally I would like iPhones in screen sizes 4, 4.3 and 4.7 inches with WVGA, qHD and HD displays. More choice for consumers = More sales.
21. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Just watch, if they start to see iPhone sales significantly eroded by the SGS3, they'll come out with a 4.7" iPhone Plus and then claim it was their plan all along. It's already happening to the iPad.
25. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Galaxy S3 sales already boosted during Apple's troll-lawsuits took place.
30. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Yeah, but that's relative to other Android devices. Apple has no incentive to change their strategy until someone seriously eats into their own sales.
26. Seymur (unregistered)
You are wrong. "More choice" sucks.
48. Seymur (unregistered)
Did i say that?
23. jmoita2 (Posts: 929; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Straight form the horse's mouth...
All hail Wozniak!!!
31. The_Original_Zon (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
Even though I'm a huge Android fan boy, I can honestly say i truly respect Woz. Even though he is the co creator of Apple he is unbiased. He just recognizes and criticizes technology for what it is. Need more people like him.
32. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Is odd that this comment is coming from a person that wanted a bigger iphone but Unless I am wrong which I am not.. has the iphone5 and is using it as we speak.. there is a name for people like that.. can't remember what name is that.
34. The_Original_Zon (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
he said he would LIKE a bigger screen, not if it doesn't have a big screen I wont use it, therefore not a hypocrite
38. tedkord (Posts: 3400; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The name is honest tech genius. He recognizes a shortfall of the device, and unlike the lemmings that can't admit any faults of the iPhone, he talks about it.
I wish my SGS3 had a bigger battery, like the RAZR Maxx. That doesn't mean I can't use it.
45. darkkjedii (Posts: 7747; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I wish my ip5 had more widgets, was a little more customizable, and came in more colors. Great phone though, and I'm getting the note2
47. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
then why did you get it?
widgets- apple is too far behind to add them.
customizable LOFreaking L
came in more colours- S3 or Lumia is your friend
59. darkkjedii (Posts: 7747; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I got it cuz I like the iPhone line, and this is by far the best of THAT line. I mentioned colors, cuz I like the colors of the new iPod line.
60. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2346; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
but answer this, just because you like a certain phone line doesnt mean you have to accept a disappointing phone just to stick to that line up.
why not buy something that offers more or keep the previous one. why accept a half hearted phone just to stick to apple
42. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you cant use something and voice needs for improvements to it at the same time?
Your talking about the Woz, who buys pretty much every gadget that comes out and says something about it one way or another. Me thinks your fanboy tail feathers are just hurt because apple's co-creator said his own company is arrogant.
I think he would know a lot more about it than you, chickenhead.
52. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is not his company anymore.. why would he requeste a big screen when the market is flooded with big screens...let me tell you why.. he knows Apple is not repleaceble.. he wants the Apple logo on the back.. so is not just the big screen.. he also wants what all the haters want...
57. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2346; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
ohh shut up you complete apple troll
Woz knows more then you will ever know, he's unbiased and see's things as what they are. he dont care about the logo if he did why would he bother with android etc. he'd be like you then stuck in an apple bubble thinking he has the greatest thing ever............
but no he isnt like you. apple is easily replaceable now, can you give anything that makes apple a needed presence in the phone world?
61. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
what are you talking about? Woz gives big props to other phone makers for things like BIGGER screens. Apple, just like every other company and person on the planet, is completely replaceable. They havent even been in the mobile scene for 7 years out of what.. 30? They are still a blip on the radar in the scheme of things. A big blip for a few years yea, but a blip non the less.
66. darkkjedii (Posts: 7747; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yo mix I feel u. Good comment... Did u see the iPhone 5 vs gnote 2 comparison, and if so what r your thoughts?
67. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
al i am saying if you like big screen on a phone then don look at Apple... is going to be hard for Apple to make big screens on their iphone because on how they sold everyone on the screen size and an Apple co founder should know this
33. cncrim (Posts: 364; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Lol i respect woz comment/opion but dont u think apple get here without him? If woz still with apple they might not get to where they are now.
35. sudbury78 (Posts: 120; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
Calls his own company arrogant but flys to Australia to get in line and be the first to own an iPhone 5. What a douche.
39. tedkord (Posts: 3400; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Without that douche, Steve Jobs would have died a relatively successful used car salesman.
53. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
and without Steve Woz would be unknown douche
62. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
sure. Without steve to steal from xerox woz would probably have an untainted reputation.
68. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
and his opinion on the iphone would mean nothing..