Samsung's latest design patent could be showing us the Galaxy Note III
If you've been trailing Samsung's Galaxy Note III in the weeks leading to today, you've probably seen first hand the noticeable increase in snippets of information becoming available. With just weeks left until the highly anticipated unveiling on September 4 in Berlin, less and less remains unknown to us – we've got a respectful chunk of the puzzle figured out. And while specs arguably make half the decision for would-be Galaxy Note III buyers, a certain galling omission can hardly go unnoticed – we simply don't know how the phablet will end up looking like.
Of course, a number of alleged prototype devices and renders have leaked out, but those are hardly helpful since Samsung has been known to use dummy externals to cover up the exact look of upcoming devices. This may have very well changed today, for Samsung has just been awarded a suspiciously looking design patent, to say the least. The patent application has been filed on June 20, 2012, and although it may very well turn out that this is not the Samsung Galaxy Note III after all, a heads up, at the very least, is in order.
Regulars among you may remember that just two weeks ago, Samsung got awarded another two design patents, one of which a definite departure from the current Galaxy design language. While that one was highly interesting, it is the one we just got our hands on that seems like as good a Note III candidate as we can imagine – it appears to feature S Pen support and Samsung's proprietary Flip Cover. Of course, this remains in the sphere of pure speculations, but on a scale of one to ten – how likely do you think it is that this is the real deal? Check out the images below and let us know.
Could this be the upcoming Galaxy Note III? Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
HTC One 2 aka HTC M8 rumor round-up: camera, specs, release date and design
05 Dec 2013, 10:44
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
How to take better photos with your Samsung Galaxy Note 3
05 Dec 2013, 03:02
Could this be the upcoming Galaxy Note III?
29. omar300 (Posts: 157; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
so looks like one phone with stylus will have slightly curved display and other phone with display around the corner of the phone. if samsung pulls this off this year then i might hate samsung less than usual
31. Kevinphantom (Posts: 82; Member since: 17 Jun 2013)
The screen is taller than 16/9 that means the home button is on the screen
2. sum182 (Posts: 197; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Took me a bit....but to me that looks like the Sanyo Zio that was on sprint....minus the disgusting track ball of course
4. rallyguy (Posts: 364; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
There appears to be a stylus though. Could be for a new not tablet.
3. rallyguy (Posts: 364; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
Looks promising. But I wonder if Samsung would wait for the patent to be approved before starting production.
23. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
People patent things all the time before they hit the market. Heck, Edison Labs patented a whole slew of inventions that didn't even work, much less sell!
5. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
No side keys (volume rocker) also, there's no front physical buttons, kinda weird if you ask me.
6. mayur007 (Posts: 108; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
I think yes it is, as in the 3rd pic thr is the curve of stylus left side down..
Design looks good to me..
16. mariosuneo4 (banned) (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
they are competing with lumia 920 and lumia 1020 in bezels
so in short with Nokia
27. RomeoJDR (Posts: 236; Member since: 09 Dec 2011)
Agree; side, angle, top/bottom view would have me guessing this was a Nokia if I didn't know otherwise.
8. jedpatrickdatu (Posts: 133; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
Looks real. The shape of the screen looks weird though. The left corners are sharp but the right ones are rounded. New tech, perhaps?
10. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
This then supports whats in my mind, flexible display, the one shown in mwc?
Nice observation! +1
24. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 260; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
More specifically the 900 or the 1020.
12. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 532; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
A new design wow i am excited
i like Samsung's design they just lack premium feel and glossy finish makes it looks cheap
all they have to do is just make it look premium like htc one,iPhone,Lumia 928 etc
13. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5177; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I'm diggin on the nice curve from top too bottom
14. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 329; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
It's kind of weird that Samsung puts some quite big bezels on the phone/phablet.
15. supraguy88 (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
It looks like the screen actually curves around the side of phone somewhat. Flexible AMOLED? Also, the S-Cover has a cutout which might be for a notification area on the side of the screen. Interesting!
17. zuckerboy (Posts: 442; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
with metal housing this design would blow every phone in the market.
18. mariosuneo4 (banned) (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
flexible display confirmed for Note 3
19. BooBooooooo (Posts: 37; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
I wish inside of flip cover would be flexible display
20. tedkord (Posts: 3413; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
A design patent doesn't mean its the next upcoming device. Could be a year or more down the line.
22. ItsMyChoice (Posts: 37; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
samsung and design ?????? Bwaaa haaaaaa haaaaaa.
26. amats69 (Posts: 732; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Oh wait..is this the 2012 flagship of htc?htc one x?
30. darkkjedii (Posts: 7793; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Looks like the old HTC designs. Evo 3G, sensation, and amaze come to mind.
33. Teeeyoo (Posts: 14; Member since: 13 Jul 2013)
No the design is somewhat related to Wave Series..
34. BooBooooooo (Posts: 37; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
If the curved part of the display is used like task bar of windows, it would be a innovation !!
35. taikucing (Posts: 609; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Looks like the design department is not lazy this time.
37. Ubi2447 (Posts: 113; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
I'm thinking it's more a patent design for either the SGS5 or the Note 4. I'm pretty sure that the note 3 will favore the look of the gs4 to keep this evolutional look consistant. This just could be the next generation Galaxy style (2014). And even so, this is just a patent. Doesn't mean we'll see this anytime soon or even ever. Either way I love the rounded look and the lines it has. I look forward to this handset in what ever [if ever] form it takes.
Note 3 or something else... I'm personally waiting to get my hands on the next Note.