Samsung patents transparent screen, with front and back touch capabilities
Using the real estate on back of a smartphone has picked up steam with the launch of the LG G2 which has its power button and volume rocker on the rear, under the camera. The HTC One max has a fingerprint sensor located on the back of the phablet, and the upcoming OPPO N1, set to launch on December 10th, features a touch panel on the upper part of the phone's rear cover. This is expected to facilitate one-hand use despite the large 5.8 inch screen on the device.
It's unclear when we might see this patent in use on a Samsung phone, and with the current focus on curved and flexible displays, it might be sometime before a transparent screen makes its way to a Samsung handset ready for prime time.
source: PatentBolt via SamMobile, AndroidAuthority
4. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5494; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Don't forget chocolate, that will also help to stick them properly. So you can lick it when your hungry, introducing the Google Lick.
2. ihavenoname (Posts: 1401; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
No one asked for it, but well, they made it. Seriously, who needs this?
3. Dr.Phil (Posts: 911; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
People who text while walking so they can see through their phone as to where they are going.
7. androiphone20 (Posts: 1451; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
like the ones in the iron man movie? man, that's rad
12. PBXtech (Posts: 980; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
First thing that came to mind as well, if we ever reach that level, awesome.
5. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5494; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
This is useless, people can see what you're texting through your phone. Why not use Oppo's rear touch panel instead of this one?
6. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2662; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
May be they are using one active screen at a time.
13. KillgoreTrout (Posts: 53; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
"people can see what you're texting through your phone"....So you hold your phone right up to your face with your hands at the side of the phone so people directly infront of you are looking right at your phone which is blocking your face? Also, everyone can read backwards? Opinions are welcome, stupidity is not xperiadriod.
8. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Maybe patents should be awarded WHEN a company actually makes a working prototype. Otherwise I'm going to go file a patent for a time machine right now.
9. nlbates66 (Posts: 298; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
somebody has already done it. (I wish I was freaking joking... but it's likely) also somebody may have patented a faster than light travel method already as well.
10. Humphrey.One (Posts: 23; Member since: 14 Nov 2013)
What bothers me is that one company fails to patent a touchscreen technology, and another is awarded with patent for two-side touchscreen.
11. androiphone20 (Posts: 1451; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
sorry, which OEM failed to patent touchscreen technology?