Samsung Galaxy S5 'Ultra Power Saving Mode' explained
The end result can be summarized in just one sentence:
"If my Galaxy S5 is down to only 10% battery, it can still last up to 24 hours in standby."
That’s how a Samsung executive briefly explained the benefits of the new power savings mode, and we think this speaks this is an impressive statement.
Battery life overall has been improved in the S5, and it should last 10 hours of web browsing and 12 hours of video. It also has a user-removable battery, so you can put in a new one when you can’t reach the charger for days. But right now, take a look at our quick look at the new battery savings mode on the S5.
1. CreeDiddy (Posts: 348; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
Why do i want a black and white screen just to save power? LOL!!!
3. hurrycanger (Posts: 1287; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
You don't, and it's NOT a black and white phone. :)
22. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 244; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
Because when the background is black, those pixels are turn off to make the black color and it consume less power(similar to Moto X "Active Display" feature).
24. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 400; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
Now that is a really useful feature. Everybody is now or then in a situation where you really just want to keep the phone running.
2. akki20892 (Posts: 3652; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Oh god why. I'm gonna have nightmare of samsung tonight.
4. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1255; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
still battery is lower than z2 g2..hehe
18. skyline88 (Posts: 347; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
and yet it last longer than both of them, ironic
26. Nabil2511 (Posts: 149; Member since: 27 Jan 2014)
how would you know? have you tried using it yet? nooooooooooooooooooooooooo
28. boosook (Posts: 1088; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
on paper... and I'd rather buy a phone for its real battery capacity than for the advertised battery duration.
5. BlueForce (Posts: 14; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
Why wouldn't you want a black screen? That looks nice. Functionality over beautiful looks any day. Why I'm running foxhound on my s4 right now. So fast, clean, battery lasts a long time, mostly black and white/aosp. Why I run my windows 7 to look like windows 98. Performance. Speed. Clean.
31. liudmer (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Mar 2014)
wait a second, I have an s4 i337m, you mean you can have black and white screen with foxhound rom? I'm now running liquid smooth and I'm very pleased,but this b&w feature it's so appealing and I want it now , by the way, does foxhound overheats the s4?, it happens to me when using heavy stuff so I'm looking for other alternative even it's not as hot as with stock rom
6. AfterShock (Posts: 2956; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Does the phone not come with a charger?
7. Derekjeter (Posts: 327; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Come on PA no matter how many articles you type about the S5 it's not gonna make it better. It's a ugly phone.
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I seem to disagree. Makes me want it even more now.
20. lalalaman (Posts: 387; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
I personally only liked the white version and blue is also ok.....but I'm afraid those holes like texture might get dust in them:D
10. preetmalhotra (Posts: 78; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
so can I assume if I use it for calling only, it can last for a week???
11. pyradark (Posts: 783; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
I'll take the stamina mode anyday than this crap features.
12. nlbates66 (Posts: 314; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
haha all these haters, I wasn't and am not especially interested in another Android phone, but I almost feel like buying a Galaxy S5 just to parade it infront of all the haters now. :)
15. bananana (Posts: 34; Member since: 27 Oct 2013)
nah... the feature came first in galaxy J... look it up people =)
16. aksa123 (Posts: 232; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
The most effective way to save battery : turn off your phone.
17. byazatt (Posts: 159; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
looks like I missed something Victor H, is there any exynos version this time round or we've got only the snap dragon version?
19. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 792; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Maybe this is hinting at e-ink displays for their upcoming phones?
21. TuanGugu (Posts: 46; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
I actually love that greyscale mode feature! It does save battery... Especially with a screen that big~ You effing idiots -_-"
25. GeorgeAF (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
Samsung Galaxy phones over your Grandma's life cause I dont really care about her. Why are people with old phones even complaining about the S5? You should just shut the hell up if you have an S3. I have an S4 and it never failed me, so I will gladly buy the S5 and or the Note 4 when its released.
27. bayhuy (Posts: 306; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
For such price (i guess 699$), they can put in the box also Samsung E1200, as a replacement of "power saving mode" - when S5 dies, swap the SIM...
29. Gemmol (Posts: 560; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
This the same as Lumia 1520 battery saver mode, but instead of 24 hours it would say 1 to 2 days left......from everything I read in these articles on this website they pay more attention to these features then whats under other phones......Lumia 1520 have the same LTE advance for 150, battery saver mode on Lumia 1520 can add additional days on my phone, the question is do this one really work, my lumia gets charged every 2 to 3 days because of the battery saver.....all I am saying if they are willing to post all these articles they should give other phone companies the same
here it is from Nokia website
LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps
LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps
30. athi206 (Posts: 2; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
"If my Xperia Z / Z1 / Z2 is down to only 10% battery, it can still last up to 24 hours in standby." - by me , sony should have said it because it does !!!! #Stamina Awesome Mode