Rumor: iPhone 6 / Air specs to include Ultra Retina screen with 389ppi, 2.6GHz A8 processor, 5.5mm-thin body
Sonny Dickson also mentions that the next-gen Apple handset would sport an Ultra Retina screen with a 389ppi density, while its alleged A8 processor should be clocked at 2.6GHz. He also tweeted that “these specs could be the real thing”, so they could also be inaccurate. While there’s no denying that the man has some connections (he was the first to reveal last year’s iPhone 5C design), we’re still taking all these details with the proverbial grain of salt.
Apple might officially announce the iPhone 6 in September this year. The company could also introduce a larger, 5.7-inch iPhone to counter the multitude of very large Android (and even Windows Phone) handsets released lately. Both should run iOS 8. Hopefully, more solid details about Apple's future smartphones will be unveiled soon.
8. akki20892 (Posts: 3234; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Why they put odd resolutions. Still it's a mystery.
Now days all smartphones not phablet have near 450 ppi. Apple is still behind. And I'm sure battery will be 1500mah
29. Taters (Posts: 2579; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
They have weird resolutions for the 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPads.
39. tedkord (Posts: 4254; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
They have odd resolutions because iOS can't dynamically adjust content to fit differing resolutions, so to keep from forcing developers into supporting all different sorts of resolutions, they keep it at multiples.
43. PAPINYC (Posts: 2171; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
So what if it is 1500mAh??? I still have my charger and Starbucks! Besides. all my friends have their iChargers so, I can just borrow one.
53. Finalflash (Posts: 1416; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
LOL nice, that is the classic iFan justification for every forced rationalization for their advanced devices.
66. givemespecs (Posts: 57; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
So? What's wrong with the 5s. Screen quality? Does it lag? Does the battery last at least a day? Does it take good photos? You may not want to hear this but there is a good reason why Apple sell so many devices.....they just work and they work consistently. Your hate for Apple is not going to make them go away.
75. Neo_Huang (Posts: 271; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
The iPhone 5s is way too expensive for what it offers, and its screen is way too small, though the latter is a matter of personal opinion.
42. PAPINYC (Posts: 2171; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
It will matter now because Apple is doing it first (of course, first after Samsung, LG, Sony, etc). But, what's even more titillating is, Ultra Retina ...... ooooooooooooooohhhhh ...... somebody get me a box of kleenex son that I can clean up the mess that came from the excitement of learning a new catch phrase: Ultra Retina. I can't wait for this baby; I'ma have me a Ultra Retina this year.
45. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2927; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
We are already getting "it ONLY has a 1080p" display comments. lol
47. Doakie (Posts: 1093; Member since: 06 May 2009)
"Ultra Retina screen with a 389ppi density" Crappy marketing ploy. If 324ppi is Retina, and 389ppi is Ultra Retina, what was the HTC One's 468ppi? Super Mega Dooper Retina? Apple is just playing catch up again and naming it cleverly so ignorant Apple customers have a catch phrase to run with. You know the people who refer to all smartphones as iPhones. Those people make me pity them, that's like calling ALL cars Mercedes.
51. quakan (Posts: 1136; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
I've never gotten how Apple is playing catch up every year. Since Apple buys all of it components then they could easily buy a 1080p display for it's iPhones or all of the best components on the market for that matter.
60. givemespecs (Posts: 57; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
Name me a phone manufacturer who doesn't market their product or have flashy marketing terms for their product features? Apple are no different to any other manufacturer. They are just better at what they do than anyone else. I think it's a bit harsh to label Apple customers as ignorant. Most iPhone users I know are intelligent professional people. I know there are some who go a bit over the top about Apple, and I'm guessing these are the ones you are referring to but are they really any different to those Android fans who hark on about ppi quad core screen size etc?
71. mayur007 (Posts: 355; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
i dont know bro where u live whayt i have seen exp by people tv n all i have seen apple owners r ignorent they think they have the best techlogy etcc
as there was a show who made fun of iphone users that they dont any thing theyt are dumb u can check
pa has posted few articles on it , they cant make the diff in new or old
59. givemespecs (Posts: 57; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
5s is already over 300ppi so what's your point?
2. Neo_Huang (Posts: 271; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
If this is true the Apple haters (like me) will no longer be able to troll iPhones for their bad (on paper) specs.
10. akki20892 (Posts: 3234; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Resolution is not even 1080p ehhh, battery will small around 1500mah and of course same and boring iOS.
13. Tizen007 (Posts: 488; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
YES!! IF RUMORS ARE TRUE I WILL MAKE A NEW PA ACCOUNT AND RE-NAME MYSELF "iOS007"
26. iOS007 (banned) (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Mar 2014)
You can have it if you turn off Caps Lock and agree not to buy an iphone 6.
36. williamdroid (Posts: 125; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
I literally laughed out loud at this hahaha +1 to you
41. Tizen007 (Posts: 488; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Anyone else want
for their account name? go ahead lol
48. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5042; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
"BlackBerry007" or "Jolla007" sounds good to me. lol
22. afegit (Posts: 35; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
> not octacore
lol. gr8 specs m8, i r8 0/8
33. ecmedic4 (Posts: 192; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Tell me why the iPhone would need an octacore processor? Ppl get way too hung up on raw specs alone. The iPhone runs great on a dual core processor because of the excellent software optimization, which is a very important part of how well the phone will operate, not just specs alone. Just cause Samsung needs an octacore processor just to run all the things they stuff in their phones doesn't mean all other phones need it.
70. Kadmspb (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Jan 2014)
I can give you an example when IPhone 5S needs better specs, I have a Chromecast at home home. When my girlfriend tries to stream shows to Chromecast through Netflix app her IPhone 5S becomes almost unresponsive but when I do it with my Nexus 5 i have no lag on my phone whatsoever.
27. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1106; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I still remember when the retina display blew everything out the water when it was released. Now their just trying to catchup.
61. givemespecs (Posts: 57; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
Why are they playing catch up? What is wrong with the quality of the 5s screen? Why do we need 400+ppi ? It's great that Samsung have driven the market to ever higher levels but we don't need 2k or 4k screens on phones. The screen on the iPhone 6 may not be 1080p when it's launched but Apple will not go backwards so it will be better then the 5s which is already good enough for anyone who doesn't have microscopes for eyes.
69. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 232; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
They are playing catch up by doing what they initially claimed didn't need to be done.
Retina was all you needed because (marketing) your eyes can't tell the difference and now Look who's upping the pixel count.
It won't be better than the 5s it will be the same I'd be sun-burned-out surprised if it was Changed in anyway besides pixel count.
Now of coarse I don't know for fact but the track record speaks for itself they make the slightest of slight changes and the sheeep come a flockin'
76. Neo_Huang (Posts: 271; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
Well, the smaller the screen, the closer you are likely to hold it, so in the iPhones' case, you are going to need a very high PPI.
11. akki20892 (Posts: 3234; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
This is awesome iPhone we ever seen or maybe fake rumor. I know 1.3 dual core is faster because they meet IOS and their hardware really well, so I'm waiting to see how A8 2.6 dual or quad would be amazing fast.
12. apple4never (Posts: 913; Member since: 08 May 2013)
A8 quad 2.2 is gonna be bloody fast i know that
54. Finalflash (Posts: 1416; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Yea but it probably won't happen. If anything Apple is trying to save even more money now that margins have tanked again. So I doubt consumer benefit is on their mind at the cost of well ... cost. Just take all the rumors and divide by 2, it gives you a pretty good estimate on Apple reality.
62. givemespecs (Posts: 57; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
Why does it matter. 5s is already lightning fast and smooth so why do they need quad core?
4. pyradark (Posts: 737; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Then the batter is 1600mah due to 5.5mm thick
52. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
yeah u right but it never happen I think it will be 7mm thin so battery will reach 2000 mAh
5. skyline88 (Posts: 282; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
rumor also say iPhone 6 is going to be a slightly refresh version of the hopeless 5S.
oooops, Apple did it again.....
6. Heatfan316 (Posts: 326; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
If it's clocked 2.6ghz, I'm gettin it, no matter how much I dislike Apple, then I'll jailbreak it as soon as they release one for iOS 8 :)
7. mr.techdude (Posts: 534; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
IPhone 5s has a 1.3 ghz A7 chip and it's as fast or faster then most android flagships. BLOODY!!!! 2.6.....god bless android :(
28. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1106; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
And yet I can't tell the difference between the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s other then the crashing from lack of Ram. Apple really needs to stop being stingy with the Ram.
31. brrunopt (Posts: 391; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
except at 2.6Ghz it would burn a hole in the ground... the A7 at 1.3Ghz takes almost the same powr as others at high frequencies...
9. NoFanboy (Posts: 204; Member since: 18 Nov 2013)
Can't see even apple releasing their next flagship under 1080p, so only way it'll be 390ppi is if it's really big.
34. ecmedic4 (Posts: 192; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Yes cause specs alone is the most important thing!
15. a_merryman (Posts: 603; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Seems like at 5.7" inches with a 1080p display the ppi would be 386, maybe that is what the 389 is referring to?
19. MrOCD (unregistered)
The real question is, would they really go that big?
49. a_merryman (Posts: 603; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I think it is likely they will do a phablet size, no point in losing customers just because they don't offer the screen size those customers want. Whether they would go that big....I don't know....
18. MrOCD (unregistered)
I have a feeling that this will be the year that Apple finally "wows" us again. Can you imagine if they actually used all those patents they have and combined them with the next iPhone? That would be amazing.
20. joey18 (Posts: 500; Member since: 20 Jul 2010)
This fake rumor apple will go 4.7 not to 5.5
23. SAO101789 (Posts: 120; Member since: 10 Feb 2014)
I have loved ios for a year but now I don't expect much from apple with ios. 8 and iphone. Thin phones doesn't mean better phones. Thicker phones like the L1020 has a badass camera. If apple doesn't do anything special I might jailbreak my iphone or switch to android or WP. I can use my ipad for my itunes. I'm getting tired of apple holding back.