Pure Android version of Samsung Galaxy S4 will initially only be available in the US
We know that interest was still piqued even after the price was announced too, $649 (and yes, the auditorium did get very quiet when the price was announced). Hardware aside, that may prove to be a tougher sell when a 16GB Nexus 4 costs roughly half that.
Still, we expect this “Google Experience” or “Nexus user experience” Galaxy S4 will sell rapidly when it launches on June 26th in the United States only. For those outside the US, fret not, Google will most certainly expand market availability, but we do not know if it will be as far reaching as where the current Nexus line-up is available.
If we had to gander a guess, there are two forces at work in that regard. First is LTE radios, it may not be practical to devote niche manufacturing to accommodate all markets. Next is Samsung, who has just launched its flagship device with all the trimmings of TouchWhiz and S-applications and so-forth, the culmination of significant development and investment in Samsung’s own image. So even if this pure-Android SGS4 expands availability outside the US, we doubt it will have the reach of the Nexus line of devices.
Meanwhile, if you are stewing in envy over the prospect remember, there will most definitely be enterprising individuals looking to fleece the desperate of their hard-earned Pounds and Euros on eBay. Or, you can still pick up a thoroughly capable Nexus 4 for a fraction of the price.
source: CNET UK
15. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
where? in US has many very limited persons who buy just an outdated iConboards = brainwashed by marketing = otherwise who would buy such a dumb iDevice without copy file or default app selection = fascism?? not any a little smarter guy.
whereas in EU we would appreciate it much much more!! bring it to EU, we are begging you, Google!!!! We are not so st*pid :)
20. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
the simple proof is this link:
goo [dot] gl/uCx8o
it shows not units but usage
1) so for Google EU should have the at least same importance as US
2) Google's marketing for Android "Use the real smartphone" is very very poor......so thats why Google is losing with Apple according to the graph
22. james004 (Posts: 349; Member since: 15 May 2013)
great link. but you have to realize apple is like ford, home made devices for americans even if its s**t people will buy it for pride. its highly unlikely that would be the case but you get the picture why apple in usa is still above android.
android surely out numbers ios everywhere by huge margin but most of those phones arent even being used as smartphone in which case your link seems correct.
38. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
thats what I said....just a brainwash :)
2. mydi.maus (unregistered)
BRING IT ON GOOGLE..my next big THING.the camera is gonna be great on this one..
3. trustory (Posts: 77; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Does it still have movie mode though? Not that I wouldn't buy it just because it doesn't have it.
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 4703; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Wow. First time the U.S. gets an exclusive (of sorts). Too bad we aren't getting the Octacore internals as well. :-(
23. james004 (Posts: 349; Member since: 15 May 2013)
you stupid people! thinking its octa, ITS QUAD CORE!
2 quadcore does not mean octa!
just because someone wears glasses doesnt mean they have 4 eyes now!
26. Jason2k13 (Posts: 424; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
umm technically it can still be called an Octacore, all 8 cores are still used but not at the same time.
5. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Will the the default picture mode come in oversaturated or normal?
6. Droid13 (Posts: 4; Member since: 21 May 2013)
This is the ultimate beastly smartphone without bloat..
7. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 110; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
1. Buy S4 in your region
14. skinny95black (Posts: 46; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
but some people might not know how to rom heck they might even not know what the hell is roming
25. james004 (Posts: 349; Member since: 15 May 2013)
well then those people are dumbf**ks who have to suck up to OEMs like samsung who fill their phones with s**t no one will ever use.
i dont see difference in old grandma closet and samsung s**tfilled phones.
AOKP is the only clean way to go.
27. Jason2k13 (Posts: 424; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
relax dude, the S4 is fine just the way it is, unless your a nerd who really needs all that power and smoothness. Some people actually prefer touchwiz because of its features, thats why when i root my phone i leave it in stock rom, and just delete some bloatware.
Here is an example, i have a galaxy note 10.1 and i still cant find a rom that is stable and can properly use the S-Pen and S-note and its already been 6 months. CM 10.1 itself is still in beta, not everyone wants to wait that long for a ROM.
28. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 110; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
The Note is a good tablet and all, but this is the Galaxy S4 we're talking about. It's about as mainstream Android as it can get. I guarantee you there's a hell of a lot more people working on the S4 than most other phones right now.
29. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Same here to, don't need all those extra feautres which takes up 500Mb of Ram! Keep it clean, then why not give it with 3Gb Ram, so there's still 2Gb Ram left free.
30. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 110; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
If you're even aware of this phones existence, you know what rooting and roming is.
36. Long1 (Posts: 364; Member since: 18 May 2013)
But those ppl, will prefer the great Samsung's features of the original Galaxy s4, instead of the poor Google edition.
32. Droid13 (Posts: 4; Member since: 21 May 2013)
First of all an average person has no knowledge about rooting and stuff
Secondly, this phone is a tad cheaper than the original GS4
Thirdly, it will have quick updates
Fourthly, Custom ROM's aint stable until much later builds...
37. belovedson (Posts: 806; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
Rooting and Rom has been so easy it usually takes no more than fifteen minutes and maybe five steps.
Most don't need to change rooms. But there are plenty who appreciate this device. A 6300math battery 32GBP class ten sdcard card and customization. Two to three day screen time.
It's easily for power users like me
8. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
The thumbs down here are annoying and nonsense
9. NightFelix (Posts: 19; Member since: 29 Apr 2013)
I guess whoever thumb down here are those fruit company fanboys.
Android warrior thumb me up.
17. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
probably paid marketing by Microsoft or Apple :)
21. Trex95 (Posts: 482; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
I'm Apple fan and they thumb me down Lol. I think those samfan they thumb me down cause i mentioned that Nexus 4 more premium and elegant.
31. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
You're an Apple fan, what do you expect, a green?
You all Apple. Fans, users deserve Reds™
10. piyath (Posts: 149; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
people who thumb down S4 fans for no reason are retarded momless f**ktards... huh huh haaaaaaaa... do have a dignity people. try to see the right as right and wrong as wrong.. otherwise u all are a burden to this society!
11. skinny95black (Posts: 46; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
This thing will be awosome stock android is the best
12. Trex95 (Posts: 482; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
In UAE S4 now cost around 624$ the price will drop to 520$ within 2 month from now it's cheaper htc one, Iphone 4s 32 GB and iphone 16 GB .
16. Trex95 (Posts: 482; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
I still prefer Nexus 4 better design, more premium and elegant look, Brighter screen even if it's not 1080p camera not big of deal king of camera phone PV 808 it's cheap now.
18. scriptwriter (Posts: 381; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
How is this news? We knew this last week when it got announced at the keynote at I/O.
19. wando77 (Posts: 193; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Pretty sure it won't be long before this rom is available to but on a tw gs4
33. skymitch89 (Posts: 923; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I'm considering trying to save up to get this and switching to T-Mobile from Sprint.
34. boosook (Posts: 604; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
In Italy we cannot even buy a Nexus 4 for a fraction of the price, since Google never opened the devices store... and they're giving up market share to Microsoft.
35. freebee269 (Posts: 432; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
i love the thought of a pure android on the gs4, but i have some questions that noone knows the answers to yet. will this be the same stock android that the nexus 4 uses? will samsung or google modify the stock android to take advantage of the extra gs4 sensors like air view and other gestures? having stock android is nice but if the OS cant use hardware thats on the phone then you're just buying hardware for nothing. will the stock android have an enhanced camera UI? the stock nexus 4 camera ui cant do half the stuff the touchwiz camera ui can.