New Apple iPad to be "a major upgrade", lighter and more compact
This would be “a major upgrade” to the series and it comes at such a time that White predicts will coincide with the time for many of the 155 million iPad owners to upgrade to a newer device.
This new design is expected to go particularly well with Apple’s loyalists, and together with a new and more powerful 64-bit expected for the new iPad, it has raised analysts’ expectations.
“Given our research in Taiwan over the past few days, we believe the iPad 5 has the potential to be a significant iPad upgrade cycle,” White writes in a note. “[Since] Apple did little in the way of changing the look and feel of the past couple of iPad iterations, we believe Apple’s sizable installed base, with 155 million iPads shipped through 3Q:FY13, is ready to purchase a new full-sized iPad.”
Along with this comes an increased and bullish price target of $777 for Apple’s stock. What are your thoughts on that, would you consider the new iPad if it was lighter and more compact?
Apple iPad 5
29. ghaniosman (Posts: 64; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
hmm...so thinner n lighter is Apple's "major" upgrade..No need of leaked pics or rumors since I can easily imagine what its gonna look like (or more of a look-a-like gen4)
36. saffant (Posts: 228; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
Well I dunno about that. It depends on your needs.
Multimedia, Android tablets are still winning, but since Apps are a key part of the experience, I think iPad is still ahead.
However, that iPad 1 is a silly comparison.
iPad 5 will definitely take the cake tho.
9. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Gold colored iPads with slimmer bezels is hardly a 'major' upgrade but I digress, unfortunately it sounds like a another S hit to me considering the user base :/
11. Kurai (unregistered)
13. Ninetysix (Posts: 1669; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
How long till KitKat is on at least 5% of the userbase? How long till 50%?
15. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
when will the iPhone 4 get siri? it was a free app on ip4 YA KNOW>!?
19. THE.DARK.KNIGHT (banned) (Posts: 269; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
iPhone 4 is more than 3 years old.
26. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
it was there newest phone up until Oct 2011 which is just 2 years ago...it was a free app that apple pulled and then required a 4s or newer purchase. Fragmentation does exist on apple products and just because iOS rolls out to majority of devices, this is proof of dropped features and fragmentation
27. Ninetysix (Posts: 1669; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
How does not having Siri fragment a device? I disabled S-voice on my S4, can I join the fragmented group now?
30. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
apple followers claim that you don't have fragmentation BECAUSE 95% gets the newest iOS. Well, if the newest iOS and all the NEWEST features don't work across all devices, how is that not apples version of fragmentation?
33. Ninetysix (Posts: 1669; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Answer the question peasant. How does not having Siri make an iPhone 4 defragmented. Does it stop you from installing Angry brids, twitter, or facebook?
37. saffant (Posts: 228; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
Does being on Android 4.3 instead of 4.4 stop you from installing all those things either?
31. noodles914 (Posts: 4; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
Android developers are smart enough to make their apps compatible, there are no issues. Don't believe the "fragmentation" hype.
2. darkkjedii (Posts: 12333; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I'm impatiently waiting apple, for you to shutup and take my wife's money. I bought the phones, the iPads are on her.
16. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
haha how you gonna do her like that darkk the pads cost more than the phones...
anyway, WHERES THE RELEASE DATE!!! my iPad 2 is straight dinosaur mode on this iOS7... i need that 5 in my life like pookie on dat crack ya feel me?!
25. darkkjedii (Posts: 12333; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Ok you went "New Jack City" on em lol. I agree my iPad 3 is a little long in the tooth too. +1 I'm thinking invites will go out this Monday. Hopefully.
3. zekes (Posts: 211; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
darkkjedii I cant wait on the mac pro its a beast
18. zekes (Posts: 211; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
it bad asss with support up to 3 4k displays with out any performance issues
38. saffant (Posts: 228; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
All that power yet u have a craptastic collection of games to take advantage of it. How unfortunate.
8. PorkyBurger (Posts: 244; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Of course, that is great, but pricing (not at apple stoar) is just mindblowing. Why should I pay so much for Apple products?! Still Apple Store, has better pricing than most stores does, but still IT IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR ALL COUNTRIES. I am so butthurt about it. Ouch my butt is on fire!
10. uchihakurtz (Posts: 270; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
LOL, those double quotes, I see what you did there. "A major update" #DrEvilMeme
12. Chizzypro (Posts: 6; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
Only the battery capacity will make me opt for it. Say 6500mAh and about.
14. JunitoNH (Posts: 956; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Apple better hurry up, and release tablet, before I purchase a piece of plastic. But again, that would make me suffer.
17. Xenaz (Posts: 105; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
10% thiner, 7% lighter, blablabla.......
20. miket247 (Posts: 81; Member since: 16 Apr 2013)
Won't upgrade my iPad unless its dust/waterproof. Use it for websurfing and playing music in the background. Can't compare to an Ultrabook, so they got a long way to go before they get to that point.
22. McLTE (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
yes, of course.. every iteration of an Apple product is a "MAJOR UPGRADE".. I'd expect nothing less this time!
It just happens that Apple uses some very strange logic in determining what a major upgrade is..
24. ThePython (Posts: 359; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Price bump? Hmm...
Also, fear the trolls.
35. GeekyGene (Posts: 88; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
Personally looking at the Mini more than the standard. 7" would be perfect for me, no need to spend the extra on a few more, but hoping on that Retina display.