Latest leaked HTC M8 photo reveals shiny metallic back, more rounded curves than the HTC One
While the photo of the shiny backed HTC M8 is supposedly legit, HTCFamily took a number of released pictures from various sources like @evleaks, @llabtofer and @leoside and created a render that is the star of the video below.
We are beginning to get a sense (no pun intended) of what to expect from the sequel to the HTC One, and as those in the know have repeatedly said, it doesn't seem to be much different than the HTC One. There are some changes such as the dual flash, and the dual sensor on back. The edges are said to be more curved than its predecessor and there are "faded plastic inserts" on the side.
The HTC One made a splash in terms of design and was one of our choices for the best designed product of 2013. Will the M8 aka HTC One 2 make a return trip on the list?
HTC M8, live photo and video of render
source: HTCFamily.ru (translated) via AndroidSPIN
1. X.E.R.O. (unregistered)
Not a fan of glossy metal.
29. neops (Posts: 161; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
This metal finish in this particular photo looks satin gone bad.
Like aluminum spray paint. And the colored glares makes it worse.
I hope HTC keep last year's design even as a variation of the new one.
I like complete rounded sides, as they looked in that
early dark leak-photo that was blue colored. But how much slippery could be?
I also like mirror-looking metal. Reminds me of ultra hightech spaceships like
in star wars. But can the designers' team pull that off as a feeling?
How will endure to scratches? Will people like it or would be far fetched?
30. Aploine (Posts: 126; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
Looks like a street performer's metal body paint!
39. streetfriend (Posts: 2; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
Its awfully small in that persons hand so that is most likely the HTC One 2 MINI
The regular one shouldn't have a glossy metal finish, otherwise im not getting it
2. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5210; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I have a feeling that this won't be as sexy as the One.
25. amro99 (Posts: 76; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
agree, the speaker grils look ugly, bezels are as thick as ONE's, the rounded corners have made the phone look cheap, etc..
3. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 371; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
Pretty nice! I am curious about that Dual UltraPixel Camera. Unfortunately HTC couldn't reduce the bezels much.
4. miguelmeza14 (Posts: 55; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
I like the front side. Not a huge fan of the backside, though. Hopefully it looks better in other colors.
5. Birds (Posts: 971; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
This looks like the back of some expensive chrome wahl clippers.
10. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3518; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
That looks like the dual flash assembly that Nokia uses on their devices.. ??
24. fireblade (Posts: 660; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
Don't live in a WP cave, dude. Go out and take fresh air. It looks like the dual flash in iPhone.
BTW, dual flash is so yesterday. Acer uses quad flash in its phone.
6. fzacek (Posts: 1380; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
This leak looks really fake. Look at the picture of the back cover, the line on the top part of the phone looks like it's painted on, not something that HTC would do.
7. Birds (Posts: 971; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
If you look at the hand proportions, this could be a mini version. Screen looks too small to be 5 inches.
13. miguelmeza14 (Posts: 55; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
I thought that too, it looks too narrow. Kind of like the current mini.
8. Killua (Posts: 261; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
Seriously? My excitement just went down, a lot. Why the heck they make the back like that?
9. ravivarma639 (Posts: 18; Member since: 15 Apr 2013)
I am a huge htc one fan now I am seriously disappointed with this design maybe i should stick with my z1 for one more year and buy an m9
11. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1047; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
I kind of like it. And im positive this is real.
12. aayupanday (Posts: 513; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Why don't they just get rid of that HTC logo in the front???
21. byte11 (Posts: 11; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
Exactly! HTC needs to take a page out of the Apple playbook and keep the branding to a minimum. They already have the huge logo in the back. Such a waste of potential screen real estate.
36. SirHamm (Posts: 11; Member since: 30 Jul 2012)
What? They have exactly the same amount of logos on their phone the only difference is that Apple uses an Apple and HTC uses its name. They cant do much about the carrier logos at this point with such a small mobile presence. HTC doesn't even have the brand recognition to abandon putting its name on a phone. Imagine the average consumer with this phone with no logo and everyone asks what phone it is.
37. byte11 (Posts: 11; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
I'm referring to the "htc" logo in the front of this phone. It's unnecessary since they already have the huge logo in the back. The space where the hardware buttons used to be now has no purpose except to display this ugly logo. It is a waste of screen real estate and makes the phone look like it has really thick bezels.
FYI Apple has never had their logo in the front of their phones. I'm not talking about carrier branding either.
15. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 927; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
Totally not htc fan,but wanna see how the dual ultra pixel pans out and true tone flash which Apple got it right...good luck HTC.
16. phonepro (Posts: 19; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
that looks awfully small in that guy's hands. Maybe the M8 mini?
20. Smokin (Posts: 120; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
If this is true, Sony will snatch the crown for the sexiest android device.
23. byte11 (Posts: 11; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
So disappointed. Hope this is fake. The asymmetrical speakers, the rounded corners, unnecessary "htc" logo with thick bezel and the late 2013 specs leave much to be desired. HTC had it nearly perfect with the original One and these changes are for the worse. Even though this is more of a refresh than a true successor to the One, I expected so much better. I was planning on making this my next phone purchase but now I seriously doubt it. My last hope is Samsung with the GS5 but they'll most likely disappoint with the design as well.
28. Gregor (Posts: 23; Member since: 26 Nov 2013)
The black bar with logo is huge and the spekers assymetrical. And the colour. Is it real, this grey will repleace the black version?! I want the elegant black.
32. Beijendorf (Posts: 291; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
I actually think it looks pretty great. It has that unpainted airplane fuselage feel to it. I'm glad HTC dares to try new things, instead of just doing straight up copies of the older generation.
33. NoFanboy (Posts: 207; Member since: 18 Nov 2013)
I think this will be an available color option, but not standard.
34. imyourpapi (Posts: 65; Member since: 04 Jan 2014)
I love HTC but that shiny metal looks like the shiny material in my dad's grow hut (yes Mary jane)
35. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Large bezel with the HTC logo is a put off for me..