BlackBerry Super Bowl ad goes with humor instead of technology
The point of the ad is that there are so many things that BlackBerry 10 can do, it is easier to show what it can't do...like set you on fire while you are walkimg, or turn a jack-knifing fuel truck into a large number of harmless orange balls. Some of the scenes from the ad had already been teased by BlackBerry.
We have a real treat for you tonight. First, we have the actual ad for you to watch, and then we have some comments on the commercial from BlackBerry's CMO Frank Boulben. Whether you caught the ad when it was aired, or have yet to see it, click on the video below to watch it. Based on the official comments from BlackBerry, we would expect future ads to show off the new OS and the new phones.
source: BlackBerry(1), (2)
1. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Oh that was lame, even lamer than the Samsung add... no on wonder a blackout happened
5. wendygarett (unregistered)
I thought iPad mini ad is the lamest?
27. tech2 (Posts: 2743; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Seriously ! You think an ad playing a piano app for entire 30 seconds is better than this !
FYI, this ad is ranked no.1 on NFL website
38. ZeroCide (Posts: 706; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
That has to be a RIM marketing ploy... There were waaaaaayyyyy better comercials than that one.
31. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I haven't used the word lamest have I?
15. Xtasy (Posts: 276; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
This Ad is the top rated ad out of all of them...So even if u think it was lame they got what they wanted out of it. Simply to get peoples attention
23. idroidequis (Posts: 103; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
You obliviously didnt see the Tide ad. Best ad of the night.
25. pyradark (Posts: 795; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
it get attention, but not to make people buy it...
but im interested on Q10
28. Xtasy (Posts: 276; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
Its not about getting people to buy it! Its about getting them curious to finding out what the new blackberry can do and what its all about Lol u know nothing about marketing
32. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I don't understand what they want to say in these advertisement...
33. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
According to this advertisement blackberry could be the same old, there is nothing to show ....
35. tech2 (Posts: 2743; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
They are saying that the new Blackberry can do so much that it is not possible for us to demonstrate everything in 30 seconds. So, instead we will show you what it can't do thereby implying it does almost anything.
2. Fuego84 (Posts: 304; Member since: 13 May 2012)
Funny stuff let hope the OS isn't as laughable.
3. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
Its hard to compete against the commercials following blackberry.
4. nwright94 (unregistered)
You wrote "turns truck into harmless orange balls" they were rubber ducks, not balls.
6. jroc74 (Posts: 5220; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I even posted in the last BB SB ad article it was rubber ducks...lol. I had nothing else to do, the power went out.
9. Azure01 (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Wow, that was seriously a waste of roughly 3.8 million dollars. I hope this device sells well for them but I doubt that commercial will be the reason.
10. jroc74 (Posts: 5220; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I thought it was clever. If anything...it will have you guessing until the very end WTH its about. That type of marketing worked for that Cloverfield movie.
12. bovcrx (Posts: 68; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I am disappointed in the ad as well, but I will still get a Z10 in March. Seemed like a easy way out because they didn't want to just show "hub" all day
13. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
annnnnnnnnnnnd baltimore wins!
14. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
it was a good idea but poorly executed. BB needed to really stand out and failed with this ad. Pretty much everyone I was watching the superbowl with was just like huh? Then proceeded to go back to using their iphones.
24. idroidequis (Posts: 103; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Lol yep same exact thing. It did not in anyway introduce how the os or phone works. People arent gonna buy something they dont know how to use
16. Jphones (Posts: 235; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
that was horrible people who arent tech savy will not care did nothing to attract tthe casual consumer
20. jroc74 (Posts: 5220; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Uh...it wasnt a tech saavy commercial. IMO it did attract the casual consumer...by being funny, colorful.
I think some of yall are missing what this ad could do. It was a SB ad. Majority of SB ads are funny. The SB ads this year were probably the worse in about 10 years. This might be one of the few ads that stood out this year during the SB.
It was funny, and colorful. It didnt explain what it was about until the very end. That appeals to people's curiosity. I cant believe we all saw the same commercial....lol. Oh well.
26. Jphones (Posts: 235; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
really a marketing rep that was horrible advertisning. never want to confuse a consumer on new products
18. bovcrx (Posts: 68; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Why the F wasn't Alicia Keys in the commercial? People would have paid more attention since she did open up with the National Anthem. Pffft elephant legs
21. jroc74 (Posts: 5220; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
She was there in a way.....she was in the phone. Maybe she will be in a future one.
22. bovcrx (Posts: 68; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
You do have a point, but it would have made more of an impression if she was the one running around with the Z10
19. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Alan.. spell check please
I don't think there's a word called "WALKIMG" ... :)
30. apiskula (banned) (Posts: 578; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Blackberry spends 3.8 million on an ad and they continue to lay off people for there failed products. Blackberry 10 will be a product failure just like the rest of them. Close the damn doors already!
34. downphoenix (Posts: 2563; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Those that are dissing the ad dont realize that it was one of the most popular ads of the entire superbowl apparently.
I know, popularity doesnt equal quality, but it was an effective ad.
37. scsa852k (Posts: 319; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Superbowl commercials are so lames these days.
Did anyone see the Godaddy ad??
I almost threw up after watching that.