2014 Global Mobile Awards winners: HTC One, Nokia Lumia 520, iPad Air and others
The Best Smartphone award was won by the HTC One, which competed against Apple’s iPhone 5S, the LG G2, Nokia’s Lumia 1020, and the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
Here’s the judges’ motivation for giving the award to HTC’s 2013 flagship handset:
As we said back in January, it’s too bad that all the awards that the HTC One received didn’t bring higher sales numbers.
Nokia’s Windows-based Lumia 520 received the Best Low Cost Smartphone award. It competed against four other affordable handsets (sub-$150 wholesale price), all running Android: Lenovo A390T, Samsung Galaxy Young, Sony Xperia E, and Xiaomi Hongmi.
Nokia Lumia 520 images:
Nokia Lumia 520
As for the Best Mobile Tablet award, this was snagged by Apple’s iPad Air. The iPad Air won against the Apple iPad Mini 2, Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, Google Nexus 7, and Sony Xperia Tablet Z.
Apple iPad Air images:
Apple iPad Air
LG received the Most Innovative Device Manufacturer of the Year award. The full list of 2014 Global Mobile Awards winners is available at the source link below.
13. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
and hands down to iPad Air! I really love apple products.
19. networkdood (Posts: 6298; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
And, I am sure that the cult appreciates your love...
40. LGisgood (Posts: 465; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
and the Most Innovative Device Manufacturer of the Year
50. KRONeage (Posts: 57; Member since: 17 Apr 2011)
That's what I say! .....oh gee they used Aircraft grade aluminum and Samsung uses their own Award Winning Cheil Industries's "Infino Brand" Polycarbonate. Now being used in nearly every Luxury Car Maker's automobiles as well as Space Age products in Aeronautics, including new Boeing and Airbus aircraft, Medical Products, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and now Galaxy S5.
Along with the durable, scratch resistant, impact resistant, environmentally safe produced REMOVABLE.... Top on the Bugatti Veyron Convertible!
Which isn't exactly cheap either either. Not to mention it's flame resistant as well for high heat use and a WHOLE LOT MORE COMFORTABLE TO HOLD...... than any metal or aluminum in extreme cold, sun or heat!!! ;-P
2. LGisgood (Posts: 465; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
LG G2 should win ! but its okay G2 won in many reviews.
HTC NEEDS THAT AWARDS TO GAIN MORE COSTUMERS...
3. buba05 (Posts: 8; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
Good job for HTC, they really deserved it! I'm hoping that this year HTC's new flagship will get more recognized especially when the new Galaxy S5 isn't as good phone as we were expecting.
49. KRONeage (Posts: 57; Member since: 17 Apr 2011)
This was a judgement on smartphones released at or after last year's MW Award Winners. Has nothing to do with HTC's next phone, this year's Galaxy S5, or any other phone set to be released! Get over the fact he's right! .....and you're not!!!
Maybe like Samsung and Seahawks's Richard Sherman..... he's just better at Life than YOU! ;-P ......and HTC (no sales) as well as Apple (less than half the sales)!!! ^_^
5. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8794; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Nothing from Sony. Apple and HTC deserve design awards and best tablets.
14. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8794; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Comment #12. Don't see Sony up there either.
15. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
and so what? iPad is there, HTC, and even LG! Almost all of my favorites are there.
even NOKIA! WOW!
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8794; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Apple is up there, and that's fine with me.
46. Astoni (Posts: 560; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Should create Phablet category award to next year, since all seems to jump on that train.
12. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8794; Member since: 14 May 2012)
iPad Air edged the Note 2014. Note 3 does go head to head with the One overall.
16. imyourpapi (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Jan 2014)
Damn the ipad air looks beautiful. Same for the ONE
17. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Oh yeah, that's quality products! Not plastic, no gimmicks!
21. networkdood (Posts: 6298; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Quality products have nothing to do with metal or how it looks, but how it looks over the course of time....Methinks that Apple has brainwashed you...
24. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8794; Member since: 14 May 2012)
He's trolling. He's been doing this since yesterday.
26. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
It's okay I know how it feels. I'm okay :D
28. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
I still have my Mac Pro, ipod touch 2nd generation, HTC Sensation, HTC Hero etc.. still working and in good condition.. NOW THAT'S QUALITY..
32. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8794; Member since: 14 May 2012)
HTC Sensation was complete garbage. Only thing that was good about it was design. iPod Touch 2G lagged like hell and could barely run games at the time.
Macs on the other hand... Quality, quality, quality.
36. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
We're talking about networkdood's comment Smurf. And yes Macs = Quality, I have the Mac Pro way back 2009, before that I got iMac G5 (2004), is there a problem? Don't talk about garbage because you're talking about Sam..ng :D
18. JMartin22 (Posts: 1242; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
I guess these judges only looked at the material and the sensation that it's a high-end Android first to use it, other than the iPhone. That phone isn't really a benchmark setter though. Sure, the front-facing speakers are nice, but that's not making other big name manufactures shift towards them. The phone itself had other several shortcomings though. From the missing battery life, to some reports of dead pixelation, poor camera quality, to build material faultiness. Really, as far as my perspective is concerned, the only considerable thing (excluding the subjective material fancying) are the speakers.
41. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 885; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
You are also the same person that said the HTC One was ugly, and that says a lot about you. Surely if it won the award is because it deserved it.
But you obviously know more than the judges and have tried every phone on the Market. /s
43. ncarlosmiguel (Posts: 206; Member since: 14 May 2013)
he clearly stated that it was as far as his perspective is concerned. Meaning in his own point of view, which i share.
51. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2550; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Of course no one is allowed to have an opinion that differs from the majority. God forbid.
20. jacko1977 (Posts: 397; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
i used the HTC One for a month then sold it coz it was shit the only +'s is the speakers thats all
52. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2550; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
"Kiding" is not a word. Secondly, not everyone in the world thought the HTC One was an amazing phone. People have differing opinions on things. That's just how the world works. Deal with it.
22. khaldoon (Posts: 31; Member since: 17 May 2013)
U GUYS MUST ALL GO AND READ THIS . I THINK PHONEARENA SHOULD MAKE IT AN ARTICLE. sammobile.com/2014/02/19/report-galaxy-s5-to-have-full-hd-display-initially-qhd-model-to-follow-few-months-later/
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8794; Member since: 14 May 2012)
There's a tip button at the top right of the website.
27. JMartin22 (Posts: 1242; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
The battery ratings improvements and improved display are reason for me to upgrade over the S4, but I feel this S5 is a scapegoat for something to come later on this year. I'm definitely waiting
29. khaldoon (Posts: 31; Member since: 17 May 2013)
Thank you so much @ papasmurf . I really appreciate ur help :)
33. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8794; Member since: 14 May 2012)
To reply to a comment, just click on the area of my comment and hit reply.
37. khaldoon (Posts: 31; Member since: 17 May 2013)
thank you so so much . i am new here so i literally know nothing . its really nice to have ppl like you here :)
30. amro99 (Posts: 77; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
suamsung should have been awarded for coming up with countless galaxy models and names in the past year
34. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8794; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Sony should be awarded for flooding the market with countless flagships in one year.
45. Odiin (Posts: 294; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
With Sony only two flagships Z n Z1 not countless. Why u bringing Sony here? amro99 is just saying about Samsung not Sony. He mentioned about all galaxy models not only about flagships. N he is not wrong.
Samsung released never ending variants of S4 throughout the year 2013 n too many galaxys from low end to midrange. Make a lists of S4 variants n Xperia flagships/varients also number of low/mid range galaxys n xperias then talk. Why u bashing Sony unnecessarily?
31. newbey123 (Posts: 446; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Go HTC! Great job. Can't wait to get the HTC One 2, which is shaping up to once again be the best smartphone for this year.
35. alpinejason (Posts: 262; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
i love my nokia lumia 520 and i got it for 49.99
39. LGisgood (Posts: 465; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
Most Innovative Device Manufacturer of the Year
44. Odiin (Posts: 294; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
HTC One? how come with crappy camera n less then average battery, its got best smartphone award I wonder!
47. Astoni (Posts: 560; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I don't think you understand. They count everything, Build quality (huge +) Software,Battery,Camera,Speed,optimization.. everything.
And HTC so far is the only android manufacturer i can think of that actually care of what the put on the UI. and don't give me any sony crap cause sonys been using pure android with a very tiny skin/icon remake (z1 user here)
Camera isnt the top tier but is above avreage and battery life is avreage.
48. Odiin (Posts: 294; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
So that makes the HTC best smartphone? If Sony services are crap? N hows it effets the best smart phone decision? Then what about bucket load of touchwiz craps? So thats the reason HTC won the award because there is no OEM particular services in UI?
When it counts everything then how cud they igonore cam n battery?