HTC Touch Pro2 CDMA User Reviews Back

7.5

david_the_gom posted on Oct 02, 2012, 7:47 PM
Posts: 114; Member since: Dec 20, 2008

The best Windows Mobile 6.x smartphone next to Touch HD2

david_the_gom has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I had this phone through Verizon.
So disappointed at TP1, aka Raphael, I expected to have better experience with this phone.
Guess what? This phone didn't disappoint me at all.
This phone has the best keyboard I've ever used. (I have had Samsung i760 -> TP1 -> TP2 -> Droid 2 Global -> Droid 3)
Touch screen is resistive, but it responses way better than other resistive touch screen phones. Some people even thought it was capacitive.
Only disappointment was on battery as it was draining like crazy.
Overall, great phone.

Very solid. I dropped it many times, it still worked.
3G may sound very slow now days, but back then, Verizon EVDO Rev. A meant "FREAKING FAST" for phones.
Calling quality was great as signal was by Verizon.
As everyone who used WM 6.x smartphones know, default IE mobile SUCKS. Replacing it with Opera Browser usually works fine, but for this phone, Opera Browser sometimes ran slow.
Listening to music was fine, watching movies was not good.
3.2 MP when competitors put 5 MP at that time?
Believe or not, Touch Flo 3D was THE best UI I ever had. I wish there's some way to port TF3D to Android now..
The BEST qwerty keyboard on history of cellular phone!!
800 x 480 display is still being used by many mid-ranged smartphones now days. How about back then in 2009? Best display until Motorola brought out 1st gen DROID with 854 x 480 display :)
Battery life was not bad, but not good either. I had to carry extra battery as I was a heavy user..

SemperFiV12 posted on Dec 17, 2010, 3:27 PM
Posts: 949; Member since: Nov 09, 2010

HTC TP2 compared to phones in (soon to be) 2011

SemperFiV12 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I have had this phone, on Verizon, for almost two years and have only a few complaints. It is a GREAT phone.

I even purchased a BlackBerry, for emailing purposes, and it didn't take long for me to switch back to this older model Windows Mobile device.

There are too many good features: keyboard, stylus, interface, multimedia.
One big complaint: speed. It is too slow, but not a big enough problem for me to dump it (although it may be a dealbreaker for many)

Heavy and large, but thats the way I like my phones. I dont want a flimsy ultra-thin play toy.
Verizon. Need I say more?
Internet is a bit slow to load, but very smooth once loaded. I dont browse on the internet very much, but when I do it has been good and very dependable.
LOUD as HECK!!! I love rocking music or watching movies/videos on this bad boy. AWESOME!
My only complaint is that it is slower than competition.
Best QWERTY period.
It has a beautiful screen. Colors look very vivid. Whites are not too bright, Blacks don't look dull. Very sharp and way better than even the newest competitors.

• Speakers
  • Organization
  • HTC User Interface (UI)
  • Reception/Call quality (Verizon)
  • QWERTY keyboard (best I've ever had

Cons

• Speed is slower than competiton
  • Freezes sometimes
  • Power on takes a while

SemperFiV12 alternatives:

BigRed83 posted on Jan 09, 2010, 7:34 PM
Posts: 144; Member since: May 19, 2008

Hard to decide between this unit and my DROID

I have both devices currently. I have had the DROID since it launched, and the TP2 for about three days. I have experience with WinMo phones with the HTC XV6800 and the Samsung i760, along with a Q or two along the way. The good:Screen is big, sharp, and brightKeyboard is very responsiveNewly installed WM 6.5 is smoothCamera is better than on my DROID (in non-flash situations)Good radio, have signal in normally iffy areasSo far, the battery life is better than I expected from a WM touchscreen phoneExcellent Email integration for POP3/Exchange accountsVery good calendarMarketplace/My Phone provide good access to apps and data backupUsing CleanRAM to manage memory makes device more responsive The Bad:No flash on the camera. Not a huge deal, as I don't depend on my phone to take picturesProcessor on the DROID is faster (watched the same movie on both devices as a benchmark; smooth on DROID, choppy on TP2)I will keep both devices (I am a geek), and will use them pretty much interchangeably. Better than Tp 1? Yes Better than DROID? Hard to say. I like them both, and for different reasons.

Pros

• Screen is big, sharp, and bright
  • Keyboard is very responsive
  • Newly installed WM 6.5 is smooth
  • Camera is better than on my DROID (in non-flash situations)
  • Good radio, have signal in normally iffy areas
  • So far, the battery life is better than I expected from a WM touchscreen phone
  • Excellent Email integration for POP3/Exchange accounts
  • Very good calendar
  • Marketplace/My Phone provide good access to apps and data backup
  • Using CleanRAM to manage memory makes device more responsive

Cons

• No flash on the camera. Not a huge deal, as I don't depend on my phone to take pictures
  • Processor on the DROID is faster (watched the same movie on both devices as a benchmark; smooth on DROID, choppy on TP2)

xcalibur posted on Sep 23, 2009, 7:46 PM
Posts: 49; Member since: May 18, 2009

It's a good phone great keyboard, web browser is fast screen is good, but my problem which is a small one for most but big for me is the vibration I need a phone that i can feel when it's on vibrate especially at work or when walking with my ipod. other than that i like this phone but that one issue has me wanting to send it back.

Pros

• screen,keyboard,browser

Cons

• vibration,no camera flash

sjziemba posted on Oct 04, 2009, 5:06 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Apr 09, 2008

Great Phone!

TP2 + SPB Mobile 3.5 = best phone of Verizon's lineup.  I was waiting for the Storm 2 until a collegue showed me the TP2.  I haven't used Windows Mobile since the Samsung i730.  Windows Mobile apparently hasn't progressed much in all these years, but that has not diminished my excitement for the TP2.

Pros

• Fast proc.
  • Great keyboard
  • Opera a decent browser

Cons

• Camera slow and low res
  • Doesn't work with Pandora or Slacker

rickerbilly posted on Oct 02, 2009, 9:07 PM
Posts: 2; Member since: Sep 29, 2009

Loving it so far!

I purchased this from Verizon.com, which was a breeze by the way, and got it the next day. I am new to smart phones, so it has been a bit of a transition from an EnV Touch. I am really loving this phone. I installed SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 and it transformed into my favorite phone to date! Love it!

Pros

• Once I installed SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 it has become my favorite phone yet!!

Cons

• Placement of the background light dimmer... in landscape mode I keep turning off the screen my my right index finger...it is just something I have to adjust to though.

seafishman posted on Sep 30, 2009, 12:11 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 28, 2009

Almost perfect, but Verizon makes it bad

I am the guinea pig trying out the HTC Touch Pro 2 by Verizon for my company. Currently, we use AT&T, and although the rest of the staff use Black Jacks, I use the old HTC 8525.
Generally speaking, this device is one of the greatest phones I have ever seen or used. It is definately the next evolution of an already great device! Having been using it for two weeks, I am still amazed by the robust features. Look out laptops, this little machine even supports Remote Desktop.
Unfortunately, I can not get Active Sync to function if I have more than a handful of folders in my Outlook tree set to Sync.  We have even tried a complete re-install of Microsoft Office on our computers and checked our Exchange Server for any issues. As a further test, I double checked to confirm that my AT&T 8525 and this phone's Active Sync were set up the same way. Still the 8525 works but the TP2 does not.

I have spent hours trying to figure this out, and even the staff at the Verizon store couldn't find a problem. They not only really didn't seem to care, the only thing they offered was to provide me with the number for some 3rd Party contractor that builds some of their programming if it was really a problem. What a joke! Working in sales myself, there is no way that I would tell one of my customers to contact some company that produced product for me. And on top of it, that company has no support for any HTC phone on their site.

As an outside sales rep, I rely on...

Pros

• Darn near anything you can think of.

Cons

• Active Sync and MS Update don't work.

RobTouchPro2 posted on Dec 04, 2009, 1:57 PM

BIG Step up from Touch Pro!!

I had 5 Touch Pro's (warranty replacements) and the last one, after a ROM update (from Alltel) was somewhat speedy and worked well. I bought a Touch Pro 2 a month ago and have been pretty amazed by it. All of the little naggy, freezy issues from my old TP are pretty much gone. The screen is bright and huge, keyboard is sick, best I've ever used. It's heavy but in a quality way and the Touch Flo is more deeply integrated and works MUCH better. With my old TP I would cycle between Touch Flo and the standard WinMo home screens depending on the type of information I was needing. With the TP2 I leave it on Touch Flo almost all of the time. It's a lot more informative and the calendar function on the main page is much more configarable and easy to work with than with the TP. HTC rewrote the calendar interface into this edition of Touch Flo and it's quite nice, though I would have liked to see the integration a bit deeper. As far as battery life, it's surprisingly decent. When you first get one of these phones, the battery has to be "broken in"  Give it a full charge then use the phone until it gets down to 5% or prompts you to "charge the battery or lose data". Then charge it fully again. Repeat the cycle the first 5 times you charge the phone. You will be rewarded with good battery life. I get 2-3 solid days with moderate useage, a full day with heavy data use and emailing pics. (which really takes a lot of juice to do)The Opera browser is pretty good,...

Pros

• Bright screen, huge roomy keyboard, vastly improved Touch Flo, software accelerators that remove most of the lag, useability, better contacts interface than before, much improved scrolling almost as good as the iphone in that respect.

Cons

• No D-Pad, No flash for Opera or camera flash either, didn't come with WinMo 6.5, soft reset beneath battery cover. No conference feature when you buy this phone from Verizon!?!?!?!? Why?

Mark Duncan posted on Dec 03, 2009, 8:06 AM

Everythink I want in a phone

Very hackable....I have a T-mobile sim card in there from my job and I'm able to seemlessly switch from cdma to gsm.I also found a forum that showed me how to instal Winmo 6.5 on this phone. The cooked version of winmo 6.5 I use is way better than the stock os. You know how apple says there an app for that for winmo it's more like a cab for that. U have found so many program on the internet that always me to configure my phone to exactly the way I want it. Now time for the bad. The camera is average at best. There is no flash for the camera which is really a let down considering everything else the phone does. The battery drains quickly as I I'm a heavy data user and usually have to walk around with an extra battery to make it throught the day.  Last but not least there is a radio issue with all new htc phones on verizon.Sometimes it will be in 1x other times it will be in 3g. This is not a phone issue more so an issue verizon needs to fix. But overall best phone I have own and I had a droid before this one.

Pros

• Very hackable....I have a T-mobile sim card in there from my job and I'm able to seemlessly switch from cdma to gsm.I also found a forum that showed me how to instal Winmo 6.5 on this phone. The cooked version of winmo 6.5 I use is way better than the stock os. You know how apple says there an app for that for winmo it's more like a cab for that. U have found so many program on the internet that always me to configure my phone to exactly the way I want it.

Cons

• Battery,camera,no flash,3g data connection

FANOFTOUCHPRO2 posted on Oct 19, 2009, 3:56 PM

AMAZING PHONE!!!! BEST VERIZON SMARTPHON!!!

THIS IS AN AMAZING PHONE!!!  IT HAS A HUGE 3.6in. SCREEN THAT IS BRIGHT AND HAS CRYSTAL CLEAR COLORS. THE KEYBOARD IS THE BEST ON ANY SMARTPHONE.  KEYBOARD LIGHTS UP VERY WELL. (BEST KEYBOARD.....) TILT SCREEN IS GREAT - GIVES YOU A LAPTOP LIKE EXPERIENCE. THE SPEAKERPHONE IS LOUD AND CLEAR.  3.5mm HEADSET JACK IS A BIG PLUS+++++, I PERSONALLY DO NOT LIKE THE 3D TOUCHFLO - I PREFER THE WINDOWS TODAY SCREEN FOR BETTER CUSTOMIZING. UNLIKE THE XV6800, THIS PHONE DOES NOT HAVE ANY EXTERNAL HARDWARE BUTTONS FOR QUICKER ACCESS TO APPLICATIONS, SO I PUT THE APPLICATION ICONS ON THE FRONT SCREEN FOR QUICKER ACCESS.  NOW TO MAKE THIS PHONE EVEN BETTER GO TO www.freewarepocketpc.net AND DOWNLOAD THE FOLLOWING APPLICATIONS: SKYFIRE BROWSER (DESKTOP-LIKE BROWSER), EASY TODAY LAUNCHER (LETS YOU PUT APPLICATION ICONS ON FRONT SCREEN), CLEANRAM (CLEANS UNUSED RAM TO FREE UP MEMORY), WKTASK (DESKTOP-LIKE TASK MANAGER THAT DISPLAYS ICONS ON TOP LIKE A COMPUTER FOR QUICKER ACCESS), MICROSOFT BING 6.1, POCKET UNO, POCKET STOPWATCH, TIPSTER, NITROGEN MUSIC PLAYER, MSS CONVERTER, AND METRIX 2 (DISPLAYS BATTERY LIFE, STORAGE, MEMORY AVAILABLE - HIGHLY CUSTOMIZABLE).  FOR ACCESSORIES, GO TO www.ebay.com HAS ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING YOU WOULD WANT FOR THIS PHONE (COLOR COVERS, CASES, BATTERIES, CHARGERS, AND MUCH MORE).  CAMERA IS NOT SO GOOD. IT HAS NO FLASH, SO PICTURES TEND TO COME OUT DARK AT TIMES. BATTERY LIFE CAN BE SHORT ALSO (LAST 12 - 16 HOURS),...

Pros

• 3.6 SCREEN, CRYSTAL CLEAR COLORS, KEYBOARD (THE BEST), TILT SCREEN, SPEAKERPHONE, 3.5 mm HEADSET JACK, HIGH CUSTOMIZABLE, www.freewarepocketpc.net FOR SOFTWARE and www.ebay.com FOR ACCESSORIES

Cons

• CAMERA NOT TOO GOOD, NO FLASH ON CAMERA, SHORT BATTERY LIFE (LAST 12 - 16 HOURS) KEEP A CHARGER HANDY

Bob Johnson posted on Oct 04, 2009, 8:08 AM

What I phone?

I have seen some people try to compare it I phone. Well I own an I phone and bought Touch pro 2 for my verizon line. There are only a few things that keep this phone from being a true equal to I phone. One the browser is not as good. I phone blows it away. Now let me say this the phone blows the Iphone away, much clearer and sounds much better. As far as screen the glass is much better. Picture is pretty equal. I think the Pro 2 is a fine phone but I phone is better meida device. It would have been nice to have gotten an upgrade in speed from last one.This phone is a great phone in it's own right.I hate to see people be unfair when comparing phones. This phone is well worth looking at. I would give a slight edge to Pro 2 for business. My personal choice is I phone because I like to browse a lot. Both have their pluses.

Pros

• Many

Cons

• Broswer
  • Needs glass screen

Chris Cantolini posted on Oct 01, 2009, 10:30 PM

Needs work

All I see is how wonderful it is from other reviews. It makes me think they are blind to the screen that is not responsive.When you open the keyboard the on off screen button is under your finger so you are always turning it off for no reason.The software is very sluggish. If you sit at a desk then it may work but why not use a full size computer. As a true mobile phone it is not. Compared to the iPhone aps are a pain to load. The android phones seem to have it down better then windows. Big surprise Bill.

Pros

Cons

• Try again. This will be a short lived phone.

Mugen posted on Sep 25, 2009, 4:15 AM

Can't go wrong

The TP2 is the most AMAZING phone I have ever owned.Battery life is amazing for a smart phone, 2-3 days easy on normal use including internet,misc calls, and lots of text messaging.The video quality is nothing less then amazing.the sound quality is also superb.Apps are easy to find and install, and the browser and internet work very well together.I haven't had one problem with this phone thus far, and cant see it being replaced for quite awhile!

Pros

Cons

• size/weight. still completely worth it because of everything this phone can do!

Geekman1 posted on Sep 20, 2009, 8:27 PM

First let me say if you havent bought phone you shouldn't post review. Please use first and give it a try. No this is a great phone and I am surprised that Verizon brought it out. In some ways it is compariable to the I phone( Which I own a 3g and 3gs).Apple software is a little more polished but this phone is very good. Screen has a great picture to me about same as I Phone. Keyboard is the best i have used or seen. Call quality is the best I have heard in a long time. Better than I Phone. Music is very good on this phone. I think I Phone has edge on that , there software is better. The You Tube on both are very good. I love being able to make your own ring tones on pro 2. This is the first phone Verizon has brought out that I really feel is close to their rivals. Takes a little while to learn how to use but it is well worth looking into if you want a smart phone.   Browsing is good not as easy as IPhone but better than any other phone I have used.    I know I have talked about I Phone too but wanted people to know this is a good phone and does some things as well as I phone. I do think the apps for it are more expensive than the ones for I phone. If you are looking for a great smartphone on Verizon check this one out.

Pros

• screen
  • keyboard
  • Touch Flo
  • Great call quality and signal
  • Battery is very good for this type of phone
  • Ringtones

Cons

• Schrolling ( you can open keyboard and use arrow keys)

Anonymous posted on Sep 17, 2009, 9:25 PM

Simply the best!!!

This phone is the best I had the Mogul but I got impatient waiting for the Pro so I stupidly bought the Instinct now I back with the Pro 2. Boy am I happy not only with my discount through my job making the price much lower but there are ALOT of things you can do that are hidden or right there in your face no review has said. I feel complete again.

Pros

• Jetcet Print program
  • zoom function for web and text
  • EVERYTHING!!!!

Cons

• no memory card like other phones
  • no headset like other phones
  • no case like other major smart phones

burtonsnow8 posted on Sep 17, 2009, 1:45 PM

Touch Pro 2

So far so GREAT!  Screen quality, call quality (on my end at the very least), touch screen feel, keyboard feel, overall phone quality (how solid it feels in your hand, even with the screen tilted up), included mobile apps (powerpoint, excel, word, flash, adobe, java).

Took me about 3 mintues getting use to the touchflo 3d....its amazing!  Most of the screens you encounter will have the touchflo interface with the option to revert back to standard microsoft WinMo layout (such as their e-mail system where you can use touchflo's flick through system or WinMo's standard line item view).

Synched with exchange flawlessly for contacts, mail and appointments.  Direct push works, but I am waiting to have a couple full drains before testing it full time.  Text messages are threaded, emails are not threaded.

The speaker phone works good, but it literally has to be on a flat surface. Holding it in your hand will cause it to cut in and out of speaker phone.  If you are in a car on a slope it will not work either.  The only way to get it to work would be recalibrate your screen and then speaker phone, which is not worth it.  When on a flat surface there are no issues and everything sounds clean and clear. Takes a half a second to switch over to speaker phone.

There can be a little lag when opening or switching between programs, but it is very minimal (less than a second) and is very rare at best.

There are a couple things which can be annoying...

Pros

• Screen quality/size
  • Overall Feel in Hand
  • Easy to sync, direct push, email
  • TouchFlo 3d
  • Keyboard quality/size/feel
  • Business ready

Cons

• No weather in my exact area
  • Easy to accidentally lock screen when typing w/ keyboard out (user error)
  • Accidentally can call when tilting screen (user error)
  • Numbers difficult to reach when screen tilted

Maybe2letters posted on Sep 08, 2009, 2:19 PM

HTC Touch Pro 2

One of the best phones i've ever gotten a chance to review. The only thing that i could find wrong with it is it's size in the hands of people with smaller hands

Pros

• Functional & easy to use

Cons

• Size & start up time

Tom Shaw posted on Sep 05, 2009, 11:58 PM

HTC Touch Pro 2

The OS one of the best ive ever used. It has a very spacious keyboard with good keys, and a very responsive scree.

Pros

• Great Design, Perfect Screen, Great Keyboard.