New I535VRALHD ROM leaked for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
A couple days ago we informed you of a new baseband radio I535VRLHD that could be manually installed, which is said to improve 4G signal strength and download/upload speeds.
It now appears that this baseband radio was actually extracted from a new leaked ROM called I535VRALHD. This new ROM is now available for manually installation, as it includes the HD baseband radio, but also a few other improvements, such as better battery life, and comes with Google Play Magazines installed. Unfortunately, it still remains Android 4.0.4 ICS.
Even though the installation is pretty straight forward, only people who are comfortable with the process should proceed. Installing the new I535VRALHD ROM will wipe all your user data on the phone, so programs will have to be re-installed. You may also want to make a CWM Backup to your external SD card first, so you can restore it at a later time if you need to revert back.
- First you need to have the Samsung USB drivers installed on your PC (download), and then the ODIN program installed (download). (If you happen to be rooted, it is recommended to restart in CWM and create a backup to your external SD card of your current ROM in case you want to revert back to it later.)
- You'll also need the full I535VRALHD ROM (1.2GB download).
- After that, connect your phone to the PC and wait for the PC to install any device drivers.
- Then unplug the USB cable from the phone and power it off.
- Once the phone is off, press and hold the Volume Down Button, the Home Button, and Power Button all at the same time. This will power up the phone into "download mode". Read the warning instructions and press the Volume UP Button to continue.
- Open the ODIN program, and reconnect the phone to the PC. ODIN should show the phone connected to a COM Port (see below image).
- Place a check mark next to PDA and select the file that you saved "COMBINATION_I535VRALHD_I535VZWALHD_1092717_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5"
- After it reads the file, select Start and it will flash new new ROM. Keep in mind this will take several minutes to complete and all user data will be wiped from the phone.
- Once it is completed, the phone will restart showing the "Select Language" screen and the ODIN program will say the process is finished. You can then remove the USB cable and setup your phone.
To verify the new ROM installed, go to Settings, About Device, and the following should be listed:
Kernel: 3.0.8-1092717, with a date of Fri Sep 7.
Since this was just leaked, there is no word yet if this new I535VRALHD ROM will be the next one to be sent over-the-air from Verizon. If you feel uncomfortable doing the manual flash, we'd recommend waiting for Verizon to officially release new firmware OTA.