How to turn a smartphone into a microscope using water10
For this project, you'll need the following:
- A smartphone (obviously) with a non-fixed focus camera. If there's "autofocus" listed under your handset's camera specs, you should be fine.
- A camera app. This one's optional, but recommended if your phone's camera app does not have manual control over the camera's focus. Our best Android camera apps and best iPhone camera apps posts might be of help.
- A couple of books, thin boxes, or anything that can support your smartphone at about a quarter of an inch above a flat surface.
- A flashlight or similar light source is recommended.
- A few drops of water.
- Steady hands and patience.
Disclaimer: most smartphones don't get along with water very well. While all you need is a drop of it to make this hack work, use your common sense and don't let any of it get inside your phone. Keep a towel nearby just in case you need to soak up any excess water.