Do you think a newcomer stands a chance against the Apple-Samsung duopoly? (poll results)

Holographic display, stack-on 6k camera, and ingenious modular sandwich design - is this disruptive enough?

Holographic display, stack-on 6k camera, and ingenious modular sandwich design - is this disruptive enough?


We asked you last week if you think that a newcomer in the field of $600+ phones can be disruptive enough to change the status quo, and give Apple or Samsung a run for their money. After all, announcements like Andy Rubin's Essential phone, and RED's Hydrogen One prove that there can be unique propositions, stellar ideas and enough potential for disruption outside of the Apple-Samsung duopoly. Well, 29% of our 1290 respondents remain hopeful with these recent developments, while 43% give newcomers a chance if they are focused on certain niche markets. Just 28% believe that the cards are already dealt, and that the high-end market has become a two-horse race for good. 

Love it or hate it, the flagship phone market is increasingly becoming a playground for two. Apple's iPhone and Samsung's Galaxy S line are duking it out in the pit on a regular basis with varied success, barely leaving a space for the other fighters. There is a good reason for that - both are gigantic companies that offer unique propositions that are hard to replicate. Apple has the aura of the richest, most successful company in history with its design, performance and brand recognition, while Samsung's vertical integration of in-house flexible OLED panels, chipsets and memory, are almost impossible to copy on that scale even for established companies.

Do you think a newcomer stands a chance against the Apple-Samsung duopoly?

Absolutely
29.53%
It might, in certain niche markets
42.79%
Not a chance
27.67%

FEATURED VIDEO

7 Comments

1. LebronJamesFanboy

Posts: 671; Member since: Mar 23, 2013

Not when it's $1200 or $1600 like the new RED phone. I doubt it has the same level of software features and optimizations as the iPhone and Galaxy phones offer. But I could be wrong.

5. TeriusRose

Posts: 108; Member since: May 12, 2017

Honestly, I don't think that they are really even attempting to directly go after Samsung or Apple.

7. Penny

Posts: 1844; Member since: Feb 04, 2011

Agreed. I'm more excited to see a different experience than anything else; don't care what the underlying OS is as long as it works well.

2. nebula

Posts: 1009; Member since: Feb 20, 2015

I fear it well end up like Vertus. Design is actually. And I am very aware this company produces superior quality video recording equipment.

4. nebula

Posts: 1009; Member since: Feb 20, 2015

Damn no edit later. I fear it well end up like Vertus. Design actually reminds me of PC video card. I am also very aware this company produces superior quality video recording equipment.

3. NoAllegiance unregistered

Still waiting for true modular phone. But it is getting better, LG you had to power off the device and the design could not change, Moto, the device could be on, but at the expense of keeping the same body size. Essential has magnetic pins only but they only have the 360 camera. RED would probably have modules that are almost as much as the device itself.

6. Penny

Posts: 1844; Member since: Feb 04, 2011

You know what, the thing is I don't really care about smartphones much anymore. The experience is largely boring to me. The most exciting thing about this phone to me is nothing other than it potentially offering a very interesting and enjoyable experience. That's the type of disruption I'm looking and hoping for. I still want to get a phone representing Microsoft's cohesive platform experience, whenever that may come out (Surface Phone or whatever), but I decided to pre-order this as well. Can't wait!

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.