Authorities release ironic last text message sent by electrocuted 14-year old

Authorities release ironic last text message sent by electrocuted 14-year old
Last week we passed along the sad story about Madison Coe, the 14-year old girl who was electrocuted after bringing her cellphone into the bath with her. Yesterday, the Lovington Police released a text that was apparently sent just before Coe was shocked to death. The text, sent to a friend, contained a photo of an extension cord wrapped in a towel and read, "When you use and (SIC) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath."

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Lovington Police Department have determined that the phone itself never was submerged in the tub. The teen also made sure that the connection to the extension cord was dry. Despite these precautions, the cord was plugged into a non-grounded, non-GFCI bathroom wall outlet. According to the authorities, Coe was unaware of a frayed section of the cord, which was covered with water when she touched it while in the tub. That resulted in the deadly surge of electricity that killed her.

The parents are using the tragedy to inform teens about the dangers of mixing electronic devices, electricity and water. That is why they agreed to the release of their daughter's final text message, which you can see below. If you haven't spoken to your kids lately about the dangers of combining electricity and water, take a few moments to show them this story and make sure that they understand the dangers involved.


source: KCBD via NYDailyNews

FEATURED VIDEO

31 Comments

1. tedkord

Posts: 17463; Member since: Jun 17, 2009

Oh good. This should generate some real quality comments.

9. Flash

Posts: 1972; Member since: May 19, 2017

Unfortunately so. I wish PA wouldn't post these types of articles, but they are only doing what any journalist would do.

10. Spyro

Posts: 334; Member since: Mar 29, 2017

This is what any journalist SHOULD do. Exposing issues that needs to be addressed for the sake of advocating safety measures.

11. AmashAziz

Posts: 2934; Member since: Jun 30, 2014

I think flash your opinions don't matter more than the safety of those unaware kids who may get electrocuted. Please hold some value for human life if your comments can't hold any value themselves.

17. aegislash

Posts: 1531; Member since: Jan 27, 2015

But FlashMxy didn't say anything tasteless? All he did was point out that this is the sort of content a journalist, specifically a tech journalist, would post about.

29. Flash

Posts: 1972; Member since: May 19, 2017

*Flash

28. Flash

Posts: 1972; Member since: May 19, 2017

Your comment is pretty worthless.

19. tedkord

Posts: 17463; Member since: Jun 17, 2009

I don't blame PA. I'm still disgusted by some of the comments on the original story.

23. sissy246

Posts: 7129; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

I kinda wish PA hadn't of done this article. I think everyone on PA saw enough of the last article to inform their kids not to do that. I just hope everyone keeps their comments nice. This is a horrible thing that happened.

24. audibot

Posts: 678; Member since: Jan 26, 2017

so glad i have a gs8 with a battery that lasts so when i use it in the pool like today for underwater videos and music and movies in the tub i dont risk death

2. jeroome86

Posts: 2314; Member since: Apr 12, 2012

I don't know PA. Last article brought out some ugly comments. Maybe this is important to cover with your teenagers. Just don't want to see the hate from the usual suspects this time.

4. Scott93274

Posts: 6040; Member since: Aug 06, 2013

It's a horrible thing to have to report on for sure, you just have to hope that people have at least a little shred of dignity in them.

3. Scott93274

Posts: 6040; Member since: Aug 06, 2013

Damn, I'll definitely be sharing this with my daughter. The kid gets all A's and B's in school, but some times she just doesn't think.

5. SupermanayrB

Posts: 1188; Member since: Mar 20, 2012

Kudos on her grades & kudos for reaching out to her. You have no idea how many adults I've come across that have tons of book smarts but very little common sense or street smarts.

7. Plasticsh1t

Posts: 3109; Member since: Sep 01, 2014

Be careful with your children and be safe.

15. L0n3n1nja

Posts: 1584; Member since: Jul 12, 2016

Do it! Make sure she understands how dangerous electricity is. I had great grades in school, but this is someone my parents taught me when I was young. Than again I had an over protective mother.

6. Plasticsh1t

Posts: 3109; Member since: Sep 01, 2014

This sad story sure will make an example for other teenagers. Condolences to the family.

8. Spyro

Posts: 334; Member since: Mar 29, 2017

It's common knowledge that water and electronics don't fit in the same spectrum and yet there are people who get into accidents like these because of poor judgement. This should serve as a lesson to all teens out there who use their phone 90% of the time. RIP to all victims of electrocution via water.

16. L0n3n1nja

Posts: 1584; Member since: Jul 12, 2016

Common knowledge to an adult, less so a kid/teen. Maybe she knew it was dangerous and just had to be on her phone, maybe she had no idea it could do more than shock her so she didn't know she was risking death. Unfortunately she died, but it's a good reminder the dangers of electricity and the importance to educate our children on the matter to prevent this from happening to someone else.

12. Jackdaw

Posts: 66; Member since: Mar 10, 2016

It's sad and this won't doesn't justify it, but she was an idiot. Bad things happen, end of story.

13. diggie32

Posts: 388; Member since: Apr 03, 2016

"When you use and (SIC) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath." Despise these "when you", "my face when", ect

14. diggie32

Posts: 388; Member since: Apr 03, 2016

"When you use and (SIC) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath." Despise these "when you", "my face when", ect Yeah, cause I use an extension cord all the time in the shower

18. Tipus

Posts: 905; Member since: Sep 30, 2016

What??

20. matistight

Posts: 1023; Member since: May 13, 2009

So sue companies that allow wires to fray

21. mixedfish

Posts: 1566; Member since: Nov 17, 2013

Yep, can't be her fault because she took all those precautions to keep the cable dry.

22. trojan_horse

Posts: 5868; Member since: May 06, 2016

"Yep, can't be her fault because she took all those precautions to keep the cable dry." It's not her fault? Whose fault is it then? This article says: "Coe was unaware of a frayed section of the cord, which was covered with water when she touched it while in the tub. That resulted in the deadly surge of electricity that killed her." That means the precautions she took weren't good enough. Too bad.

25. audibot

Posts: 678; Member since: Jan 26, 2017

this is Darwinism to the max just like the selfie idiots that die just clearing the earth

26. VZWuser76

Posts: 4974; Member since: Mar 04, 2010

And I'm sure no one commenting here did anything stupid or something that, looking back now, was life threatening at the age of 14 (or throughout their teen years for that matter). There's a reason people that age still need a legal guardian, can't drive, vote, drink, or serve in the military.

27. Jackdaw

Posts: 66; Member since: Mar 10, 2016

But by that age I'm sure they can take a 10 minutes shower or a bath without a phone and a legal guardian. If you take an electrical device to bath with you, (because you can't wait that 10 minutes until you are done) make sure you know the consequences. Otherwise you are just again, an idiot.

30. VZWuser76

Posts: 4974; Member since: Mar 04, 2010

Children don't know what is and isn't dangerous, it's up to their parents to teach them those things. If the parents didn't teach them, they may have seen it on TV, or maybe not. You're making an awful lot of assumptions without actually knowing the situation beyond these articles. And especially if a child hasn't known the death of someone close to them, they're further insulated from the consequences. I grew up on a farm, and had a very wide understanding of what can kill you, because a farm can be a dangerous place and my parents made sure to educate me about it. And being an adult doesn't excuse people from being stupid. I had a brother who was an apartment manager and made a comment to one of his tenants that they needed to change the winter air in their tires as a joke. The next day their car had 4 flat tires. Now if their parents had taught them anything about car care, they would've known it was a joke. But some people aren't interested in learning, something I'm seeing more with newer generations.

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.