14 year old taking a bath is electrocuted by her cellphone



This past Sunday, 14-year old Madison Coe was soaking in a tub at her father's home in Lovington, New Mexico when the unthinkable happened. She either plugged her phone into an outlet while submerged in the bath, or she went to hold her phone which was already plugged in. Either way, the combination of electricity and water resulted in the electrocution death of Coe, who had just graduated 8th grade. For the record, her family believes that the second of the two theories is what occured. That was apparently borne out by the burn mark found on the hand that would have grabbed the phone. Her grandmother, Donna O'Guinn, said that it was obvious that this was the scenario that played out on Sunday morning.

In order to make sure that something like this never happens again, her family says that it will raise awareness about the dangers of using a plugged-in handset inside a bathroom. A family Facebook account is being used to spread the message. Even if your phone has an IP67 or IP68 certification rating, you shouldn't use it while in the shower or bathunless i is totally unplugged. You don't want to risk your life on a feature that isn't even covered by the manufacturer's warranty. And if you have children, start impressing upon them at an early age that water and electricity should never be combined.


Click on the video at the top of this story to see coverage about the story from KCBD-TV.

source: KCBD via NYPost

FEATURED VIDEO

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.
FCC OKs Cingular's purchase of AT&T Wireless