Samsung SCH-U740 User Reviews

Internet8.5/10
Call quality8.5/10
Battery7.5/10

LiKWiDCAKE
posted on 27 Dec 2012, 10:33 (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Dec 2012)

Good little phone.

LiKWiDCAKE has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Owned this phone for over three years, and always had pretty good experiences with it - especially considering I got it used. I would highly recommend this phone to the avid texter, especially since it's so cheap now.

Build quality 10/10 They tell you not to open it partially one way and then go the other way, because it damages the hinge - I've done it for 3 years, and it's still perfect :)
Reception 7/10 Not spectacular. I don't get very good reception upstairs in my house, when I can with other phones. Certainly not unusable though.
Call quality 7/10 People sound tinny compared to modern phones, but that's to be expected.
Internet 10/10 I don't have data. But the download speed for Backup Manager was pretty quick! :D haha
Multimedia 4/10 Multimedia sucks. You have V-Cast, but that's 1.99 per song. Other than that, you can't get music on the thing. Some people also find the playback buttons on the front annoying, but you can just lock them.
Camera 9/10 It's quite good for how old this phone is. My other (newer) phones had the camera quality deterriorate after a while, and this one never did.
UI speed 8/10 It's not going to shock you, but it's pretty speedy for an old phone.
Everyday usage 9/10 I thoroughly enjoyed using this phone. Wish I could do something about the vibrate though...
Text input 8/10 The full keyboard is amazing to use. It's probably my favorite keyboard on any phone I've had - just the perfect size. However, I'm a big smiley user, and there's no way to insert "(" or ")" without sifting through your symbols menu :(
Display 5/10 Definitely nothing to drool over.
Battery 10/10 Never had a problem with the battery life.

Pros

• I get complimented on the double hinge ALL THE TIME.
  • A dream to text on, unless you care about symbols a lot.
  • The overall experience of this phone has been great for me. I've actually gone back to it temporarily on many occassions.
  • Good battery life.

Cons

• Don't even think about it if you care about media playback.
  • The vibration is loud and comes in three separated bursts - somewhat obnoxious.
  • Typing symbols.

Madison
posted on 30 Nov 2010, 16:17

One and only

Madison has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This was my first phone and i have never had any other phone. im sticking with this one because i love the keyboard. It is nicely spaced out and wonderful. if you text alot then this would be the phone to get. I like that there are so many keys yet not many buttons.

Build quality 10/10 i like how it flips. It has never broken
UI speed 10/10 ik what this is
Text input 10/10 idk
Display 10/10 its not pixely
Battery 5/10 it dies if you use it at night

Pros

• keyboard
  • it doesnt break

• touch screen mp3 on the front
  • vibrate is very loud

j-dogg
posted on 17 Sep 2009, 14:17

check this out.....worked for me

I just got a used alias and had a problem with it shutting off by itself.  Searched for a couple hours online and came across this youtube video   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcdavDGs3Ig   It has been a few hours and my phone has not turned off yet! Mine used to shut off whenever i bumped it, or closed one of the lids.  Hope this helps!

Pros

• small, stylish, full keyboard

Cons

• supposedly problematic

posted on 03 Aug 2009, 19:38

I personaly thought that this was really cool, i've had it for a while and had no trouble with it.

Pros

• small, easy texting and nice features.

Cons

• battery, easy to scratch and camera

D. Womack
posted on 30 Jun 2009, 00:16

Ive had this phone since it came out and I havent had many complaints. My only issue is the phone turns off on its own, but thats a/b it. The camera isnt that great, but its ok.

Pros

• Texting

Cons

• Turns Off

posted on 19 Jun 2009, 09:14

I've had this phone for two years. I've only replaced it once because I hardly use any of the features, there really aren't that many to begin with. The camera is terrible. The keys are really small, but you get used to them. Texts take longer to send than other phones. The battery is pretty awful, somedays I need to charge it twice. The good thing about this phone is that it's relatively thin and fits in a pocket.
I'm getting an EnV Touch in the next few days. And I cannot wait.

Pros

• design
  • qwerty keyboard

bng
posted on 01 Jun 2009, 19:03 (Posts: 107; Member since: 12 Feb 2009)

not good if u have big fingers like me.......

i have had this phone for about 1 year and 4 months
what can i say it freezes a lot it will turnoff buy it self the inbox doesn't hold more than 50 msg which is really gay...also the keys are small. at first i tough i was going to be OK with it but after a month it got all boring..the reason i didn't get another phone is because there haven't bin any good ones on Verizon. but now i have found one i am planing on trading this for the LG Versa.
also i breaks easily lol My broke just a few days ago and that was my 4 one haha

Pros

• its small and thin

Cons

• bad keyboard and a lot of other stuff...

posted on 20 Apr 2009, 11:15

I've had this phone for 9 months

I love this phone. its way better then the Motorola RAZR Maxx ve and LG chocolate i had before. the small keboard maybe a little hard for some people but i have small fingers so i really like it. the menu design is the best ive ever seen in a phone. i dont really like how the camera is a 1.3 MP but i live with it. and you cant zoom with the camera on the biggest resolution. and i also dont like how you cant listen to music and do something else at the same time. a full battery lasts me 2-4 days and i only usally charge it when its dead and off. inbox only holds about 70 messages but if you put it on auto erase you never have to worry about messages popping up about your inobx is full or 80% full, etc. the sent box also auto erases. most photos from my RAZR i cant view on my Alias since the RAZR was a 2 MP camera phone. video playback is iffy same with video recording. also sound recordings are only 1 minute long which i dont like. and the last thing is i like how the microSD slot is located on the side of the phone instead of behind the battery door.

Pros

• menu display, QWERTY keyboard, auto erase messages, has a flash.

Cons

• small camera 1.3 MP, small resolution pictures, video recording and playback aren't too good.

Derek
posted on 18 Apr 2009, 10:11

pretty good phone

i got this phone when i was thirteen in november 2007. when i first got it i fell in love with it. i couldn't stop txting, thank god i have unlimited, it has s pretty good design, i have dropped it a few times and it still is an accruate phone. i hear the silver is a lot cooler, but i would reccomend this phone. the camrea is pretty good, the video time is short, only 15 seconds so i dont like that.

Pros

• Texting
  • display theme

Cons

• calling

posted on 12 Apr 2009, 09:45

Best Phone I've owed

I've had this phone for almost 2 years now with no problems.  I've dropped it 100x's with no issues.  The only reason I've had to exchange it was due to water damage on my part.  The replacement phone has been great.  I am do for my upgrade and don't want to change phones.  None of the current phones offer anything close to this.  Full keyboard with a slim non bulky casing!  I use the web acces and it is good for what it is capable of doing...it's no blackberry but it's managable.

Patrica
posted on 25 Mar 2009, 23:29

Samsung Alias

WORST PHONE EVER!  well yeah it worked very good in the begging but then i got no service after i had it for a year and i told everyone that use to have it and they said that they got all sorts of prolbems on this phone after a year.  now i have to take it back tomarrow and there going to give mii the same crappy phone that doesnt work for nothin!  yes im uppset that i didnt read the REVEIWS BEFORE I GOT IT  but the guy who sold it to mii said it was a great phone that everyone like it well HE LIED !! all i got to say is DONT GET THE Samsung Alias ITS A CRAPY PHONE

Pros

• Good calls and txting

Cons

• bad pictures cant zoom in in them and small qwerty keyboard

Vladimir
posted on 16 Mar 2009, 10:35

Verizon Carrier

I've had the phone for a few weeks now and it's really what I've been looking for the whole time. i don't trust non-flip phones because they are prone to pocket calling. I've always been a fan of flip phones. I originally wanted the LG Dare but I hate how easy it is to unlock. There is no "slide to unlock" feature. It's just a push of a button or a tap on the unlock key and for those who keep their phones in pouches or in their pocket, I assure you that it will unlock randomly. I then looked at the EnV2 but all you have to do it click OK twice and its unlocked. I like this phone because it has a full qwerty keyboard for easy and fast texting and a lot of nice features such as voice texting. The camera quality is good and it will not pocket call due to the fact that it is a flip phone. The standard ring tones are a little fruity but who uses them anyway? Just go onto VZW wireless internet and download your favorite song or record something onto the phone and set it as a ring tone. The duel flip is very sturdy. It doesn't seem easy to break at all and I haven't had a problem with it shutting off on me at all. Well built phone with plenty of updated features. Well done Samsung, well done.

Pros

• Very sturdy and wont ever pocket call. They need to make a touch screen that has better locking features! The Krave is a good idea but the software is horrible!

Cons

• uses orange as the desktop color when you change to "My Desktop" display. Not a fan of the color orange and you can't change it unless you change the whole theme but I got used to it.

posted on 29 Jan 2009, 13:19

GREAT PHONE

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've had this phone ever since it first came out almost 2 years ago and I've never had any problems.  It has lasted me all the way through the 2 years up to my next upgrade.  It's fantastic to text with and reception and call quality are great.  Overall the best phone I've ever had.

Pros

• qwerty keyboard, call quality, reception, easy to learn how to use, durable

Cons

• nothing really as long as you take care of it

Kelsi
posted on 18 Jan 2009, 15:40

I'm on my second one in less than two weeks. (third in all)

So at first this is a great phone, but it will prove you wrong in the end. at first i loved it, worked well for texting. Now i just want to get rid of it! i recently (Jan. 7) had to have my original one i bought back at the begining of may replaced because it could no longer share media. it took about 5 hours for any text message from a non-verizon phone to arrive and maybe 15 minutes for a verizon text. and i couldnt hear anyone on the phone when they called. once i got it replaced i thought i would be able to go another seven or so months with it and then it was doing the random restart lock and shut off thing again. so they did replace it again. if i break it one more time in the next 90 days they will give me a brand new phone that is not the alias!!

dont buy this phone is all i can say

Pros

• QWERTY keyboard

Cons

• Random shut offs

posted on 19 Dec 2008, 14:35

Good at first but......

When I first got this it was a good phone. Since they sent me this POS phone for my enV cause it broke i was switched from a big keyboard to a really tiny keyboard. The buttons are so small I usually have to repeat myself. Now after like its first drop, which was like a inch or two, it shuts off randomly or restarts I have no clue why. Also, everytime you are to drop it the battery pops out this becomes annoying. The two way part glitches most of time for me. The phone then starts to slow down maybe about 1 month or 2 afterwards.

Pros

• Makes phone calls
  • QWERTY Keyboard

Cons

• Battery pops out
  • Shuts off whenever
  • Small buttons
  • 2 way screen is glitchy
  • Battery life is bad

posted on 08 Nov 2008, 20:27

BY FAR the best phone verizon has put out. All the new touchscreens are terrible. If you like to text, then this is your phone. Don't be fooled by the tiny buttons on the QWERTY keyboard because it takes 1 day to get used to. I cannot count how many times i've fallen for verizon's gimmicks with the touch screen text phones. THEY ARE ALL TERRIBLE.I'm still waiting for verizon to put out another phone like this one. There's no need for the touch screens that havent been perfected like the iphone. If you're going to text look no further than this phone

Pros

• small, practical, easy to use, easy to text

den
posted on 19 Oct 2008, 13:35

ok

just average nothing specail nice design and thats it. Broke down verizon was great about it. Click the wrong buttons all the time. Could be better. MP3 buttons go off in my pocket even when on lock music starts playing in my pocket if you want to get it is overpriced

Pros

• keyboard
  • music

Cons

• small buttons
  • call reception
  • broke once shut down nonstop

verizon costumer
posted on 18 Oct 2008, 17:58

It's Okay

I dont really like this phone. The outside of it doesnt look attractive, it looks weird on the outside. But the inside looks much better. The phone has shut off on me many times, which is VERY annoying.
I have had this phone for 2 years and next month I am replacing it with the verizon Blitz.

Pros

• qwerty keyboard
  • easy texting

Cons

• shuts off on you
  • the outside is ugly

posted on 30 Sep 2008, 08:42

2.3

Phone is the WORST I have ever owned

My boyfriend and I bought this phone about six months ago.  His phone broke first.  It only allowed him to talk via speakerphone.  Mine broke within a week.  It shuts itself off all the time (not just when texting.)  Almost everytime I pick my phone up, it is off again.  It used to just restart itself, but now it is always off.  His phone has locked itself.  It also says it has an "Initial Programming Error."  None of the default lock codes work and he never set one up himself.  So, we got what we paid for when we bought this phone.  It was a waste of money.

Samuel A Munoz
posted on 24 Sep 2008, 09:08

Shuts-off

I've had the phone for over a year now.  While it is a really cool phone it has some major problems.  Primarily with shutting down ALL the time when I am typing a text.  Many users on this forum have noted this problem.  Can you imagine thumbing in a lengthy text and just before sending it the phone shuts off and you lost everything you typed.  Not picture that happening to you 30 times a day like it does to me ...
The phone also requires a special USB/Headphones because the socket is non-standard.  That blows.  The Vcast music software is clumsy.

posted on 31 Aug 2008, 12:56

okay phone

i've had this phone for a little over a year and it's okay. i like the small size. one of the really annoying this is that some of the features can't be accessed while the phone is flipped open longways. also when i get text messages, instead of vibrating once, it vibrates 3 times in a row. mine has a really powerful vibrate, so it makes a lot of noise. the word mode for texting can't spell some things, and that really bothers me. words like interesting and hotel it doesn't recognize. the buttons are tiny too, so it is a little difficult to text on, either in qwerty mode or in word mode. i also have to charge it every 2 days for some reason.

Pros

• small
  • full keyboard

Cons

• the camera's flash doesn't do much
  • word mode doesn't know how to spell
  • if you have lots of stuff on phone, the phone lags

andy
posted on 31 Aug 2008, 01:39

best phone i have had

i bought this phone just a few days ago and have been very pleased some previous reviews hav said it doesnt vibrate or theres no picture texting or whatever it has all that even text to speech my previous phone was a old a$$ kyocera antenna nonpicture capable polytronic hard to text this phone is much faster increased texting speed 100 fold took a little getting used to the buttons but overall its pretty easy it works great it is worth it

Pros

• good battery life
  • easy to text
  • holds music

Bill
posted on 17 Aug 2008, 08:29

Durable U-740

I have had this phone a year now and I can't say anything bad about it.
Call quality,speakerphone and camera work great.I did purchase the extended battery and cover that add bulk but are worth it.The dual flip design is nice, great for texting.This phone has been very durable for me and recommend highly.

James Clark
posted on 11 Aug 2008, 21:57

3.8

DON"T BUY

I have had three replacements in less than one year.No,I didn't break them they just lose the volume for no reason, after about 3 months you must use the speaker mode to hear your caller which in turn lets everyone hear your call AVOID!!!

jeremy
posted on 11 Aug 2008, 21:03

my expierence with this phone was not the best. i had troubles with it from the start, randomly rebooting while in my pocket right before i recieve a call or text message so it doesnt ring. then i had gotten the firmware upgrade hoping it would solve this problem, but for the most part made it worse. instead of just rebooting, now it just completley shuts off more frequent than before, not just in my pocket when im not paying attention, it has shut off while i was in the middle of typing a text message. it was a good phone but sadly because of verizon's stupid software on the phone i had to go back to my older phone, an LG VX8100