Ubuntu Phone's 12 default apps will be "community created"
1. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Though i use Android phone Java really sucks big time as it's a resource hog. It would be good to see ubuntu get popular over a period of time.
3. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Well no not really ... haven't been hit by one so far as i am careful not to indiscriminately download and install stuff.
5. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Nope. There are virtually no viruses for Linux.
11. windroid (unregistered)
"Trend Micro has detected 350,000 threats for Android in 2012"... "could reach 1 million by end of 2013"
We will se in the end of 2013 more virus than apps for Android.
8. jdep1 (banned) (Posts: 26; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
I could see viruses on Android but.. Linux??? haha please get your face out of your a... Hole.
9. gallison1983 (Posts: 41; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
Android and Ubuntu have similar kernels. The only reason why the term virus has surged with Android is because its the only way to explain bad behavior from a phone when it comes to system performance or data leaks when in the hands of the typical Windows user affected by viruses.
Linux does not suffer from the same types of attacks as Windows does. There are more safeguards but its not foolproof. Carelessness gets you hacked. Some good old SELinux or AppArmor knowledge will go a long way. Or you can press your luck with the latest Angry Horses Free Cool App!
4. MC1123 (Posts: 1242; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
even though this is really promising, but sailfish OS will be more awesome! :)
6. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Intel needs to make a phone with a haswell i5 quad core in it with a 120gb/250gb ssd, 4gb ddr3 ram, and let it run a linux distro that supports phone functions would destroy the competition.
7. Lawliet (Posts: 160; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
calm down bro, even if we have a phone like that, the battery's not gonna last long
10. gallison1983 (Posts: 41; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
1) You won't be able to hear your phone calls due to the cooling fan
2) You will look like a hip hop punk from the 80's with the 8 D-cell boombox that will play for about 15 minutes
3) You'll ask the manufacture to forget the fan and the manufacture will kindly forget to tell you that the heat from your phone melted your face off.
Until then, enjoy ARM.
13. simplyj (Posts: 404; Member since: 23 Dec 2009)
Please tell me what the point of an SSD would be on a phone?
14. DigitalMD (Posts: 226; Member since: 17 Feb 2010)
Ubuntu unfortunately will not succeed because it will run of very few phones. Each hardware manufacturer has enough proprietary hardware with no open source drivers that you really can't get every thing working. There is no standard set of hardware and designs change and improve every 3 months. so Ubuntu will always lag behind by months or years with no heavy weight like Google to prod hardware builders to share their libs and drivers. That's why you don;t see a lot of good custom Android ROMs and things like CM only run on a handful of phones