Survey of BlackBerry users indicates 70% will upgrade to BlackBerry 10
The Jared Company, app developers for BlackBerry, Android and iOS conducted a survey of nearly 6,000 customers and not surprisingly found a fairly high degree of loyalty. About 70% of those that responded plan to buy a BlackBerry 10 smartphone when they are ready to upgrade.
The company contacted customers who had opted-in for their mailing list. Besides the 70% that said they would upgrade, 54% of those that said they would upgrade said they were doing so because they preferred BlackBerry over other platforms. 19.5% cited appealing features as why they intended to upgrade.
Out of al those who responded, 40% said they had been BlackBerry users for three-to-five years, and 27.4% for longer than five years. The next figure is sure not going to shock anyone, 68% said they preferred using a physical keyboard versus touchscreen, and 88% believe their apps will be available on BlackBerry 10. Those last two figures make sense, the BlackBerry physical QWERTY keyboard, especially the one found on the Bold 9000 series, is the measure by which all others are judged. Also, with the amount of work RIM has been putting into supporting app development, cash guarantees and developer hardware to thousands of developers, it stands to reason that a great many apps in the BlackBerry OS 6/7 environment will find their way to BlackBerry 10.
The Jared Company also asked about the features most valued by its customers. 25% cited email and SMS, 23% picked BlackBerry Messenger and 20% liked the ease of use. The Jared Company makes a wide series of apps and games for BlackBerry, including ASAP-BlackBerry, Who Is It (custom LED color alerts), and others.
While the response is a relatively small sample against the broad BlackBerry landscape, the brand has been able to hold on to its loyalists. How about you? Will you make the move to BlackBerry 10, or are you thinking of switching gears?
1. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
Fan base is strong......Good sign
7. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 364; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
BB10 os is a great os compared to android,WP & ios.its completely a gesture os.there are no physical & onscreen buttons.its a next big step over the current mobile operating systems.it would be great if OEMs like samsung,htc,lg,sony etc adopt BB10 os on their devices.
14. wrongresearch (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
it took more than 1 year for RIM to add calender to BB10. RIM doesn't have the power to compete with android.
20. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
well because the previous CEOs dont realize that iPhone 4 is targeting BB's market--the business market.. and the rise of android is very fast!!!
and they give Heins all the burden... but he decided to use QNX platform for BB10--which is a smart move! coz since its an Unix-like platform, app development support will be better than BB7 which is a java!
13. wrongresearch (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
The survey is NOT valid WAY of survey.
or maybe the title of this article IS WRONG...
70% of REPLY when surveyed *IS NOT* the same as 70% of BB user. We need to know how many percentage DID NOT REPLY the survey. That's the real bad things. IF the app developer ask 10K user, and only got 1K reply, MAYBE 9K user (90%) already fled to other platform such as android, and iphone.
46. maxout (Posts: 32; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
not much positive is coming out of RIM these days. Crash & Burn 2012.
2. androidornothing (Posts: 143; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Ahhhh who cares about BB users. All they care about is PHYSICAL keyboards. They don't know the real beauty of Android. He'll I can even throw iOS in their cuz even iOS is better than blackberry.
4. B3BLW29 (Posts: 237; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
IMHO physical keypad always has an edge over softkeypadd because of ease of use n less chances of typos, if one is always on emails then this feature is indispensible. plus BB10 is pllaning to bring loads of goodies to the platform :) so YAY!
29. phil2n (Posts: 473; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
did u know that i can use bb while jogging. can u do that?
39. AndaPastiBego3 (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
There were plenty of QWERTY android.
QWERTY does not equal BB
3. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
the sad part is, how many are still BB users? hahaha.
5. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
doesnt matter more will be users when this drops
28. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
there's still actually a lot of BB fans till now! and there will be a lot of people who will fall in love with BB10 wen it will arrive!
30. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
BB10 looks awesome. Apps. just... apps.
41. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
totally... only apps... but dont worry.. lets just hope that a number of android devs will port their apps to BB10 like most of the devs are doing right now!
6. wendygarett (unregistered)
did you see that RIM?
Now can you SHUT UP AND RELEASE IT IMMEDIATELY??
24. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i love it wendy!!!
BB10 all the way!!!
8. JunkCreek (Posts: 402; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
here in Indonesia, BlackBerry user DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THERE WILL BE BLACKBERRY 10 COMING SOON!
15. wrongresearch (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Because 90% of BB user in Indonesia were ibu-ibu gosip (old lady, 50years+, and talking about chili, vegetable price, and also where to find a dude for a playing around).
19. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
are you nikolas? you're also from indonesia...
22. wendygarett (unregistered)
Friend of nikolas lol
21. a_tumiwa (Posts: 276; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
my family and friends said that Blackberry is hi tech phone. Nearly all of them dont know what is BB app world
23. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
oh do you think that too?
my family and friends has android...samsung and htc... but they dont know anything about play store... they dont know where to get games...
i taught them how and what is the function play store!
49. a_tumiwa (Posts: 276; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
then, tell them to sell their android and buy BB, because BB is for stupid people like your family and friends.
25. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
and indonesia are full of natives actually.. still living in a small town!
while on my country... we are just neighbors but we know about BB and we are the social networking capital of the world! :)
37. AndaPastiBego2 (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
You'll be surprise to know that the student in small town is more android (and symbian... because there were lots of second hand symbian in Indonesia), than BB.
with Android (and second hand symbian), the student got a GOOD gaming console + phone. They don't have to ask their parent to buy Nintendo or PSP
43. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
lol thats in india but in my country.. BB coz we love social networking... nokia's symbian and feature phones is still use as a secondary phone and so is the android by the likes of samsung,sony and other cheap android that is sold here!
so basically they use android just for game... understandable coz this just prove that android is anything but a toy! while BB means business!
they buy android (and symbian you say) because they cant afford buying a PSP and nintendo!
47. maxout (Posts: 32; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
i am sure they would like to use HTC/LG/Samsung or even NOKIA..
10. DerryAhmad (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 May 2012)
Blackberry is dying in the US but I think Blackberry still have quite a lot of subscribers in several Asia region and Africa as well as Canada.
I prefer Blackbery platform than any other platforms TBH (with Android being a close second). It's their hardware that sucks so bad. Their internal hardware have been very late to the party.
Having said that, I love the build quality. The keyboard is unparalleled. And Blackberry is my no.1 choice for social networking as well as business.
RIM also need to keep with their deadline! Their Playbook updates were delayed several times and BB10 was initially released this month.
BB10 shows a lot of promises. I hope they're not delayed beyond January 2013, or Many more users will jump the the RIM ship.
C'mon.. Bring it on, RIM!!
17. AndaPastiBego (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
You must be fall into category that use your BB to gossiping around with your friend.
A lot of BB user think they were using smartphone, but in reality they were the dumb phone user. Only use the phone for messaging services (BBM).
BB is dying in US and Europe because the user now want A REAL SMARTPHONE, whereas in Asia and Africa where the level of education is lower, they were just trying to find a cheap messaging tool.
and FYI, BB is dying in Indonesia, android is now TWICE as big as BB, and samsung alone already bigger than BB. This is because the new user (teenager) were opting for Android instead of BB. With android they got FREE messaging (what's app, etc), and gaming tools. With BB, they only got a boring phone, and need to pay for BBM.
(in contrast you can use What's app freely with WIFI, and don't need to use special internet).
34. DerryAhmad (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 May 2012)
I don't get the bitterness and hatred toward Blackberry. Gossiping with friends? LOL. Stereotyping much?
Blackberry at least for me, is the fastest device in typing/ constructing email using a mobile device. Reliable in push emails and yeah.. great in social messaging.
Yep.. The many user here uses BB for its BBM feature but If there's a definition of dumb phone. It must be the other 'overpriced' fruit. Not the Blackberries.
I'm not a fanboy or something. I love technology. And I own Android phone/Tablet, BB and once had the iPhone. So I don't get the 'dumb' comment.
Can you tell me what's so dumb about the BB OS? If you're talking about apps, that's totally a different story. As I said earlier, BB need a boost in their ecosystem.
And you got your facts wrong my friend. I know many are jumping the Androd ship nowadays. But read today's article, BB is still the no.1 smartphone in Indonesia.
I'm not saying it's THE BEST smartphone. But it is what it is.
It's great in what it's supposed to do.. messaging and push email.
But Blackberry is definitely not a dumb phone.
35. AndaPastiBego2 (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Just to be clear, I'm in Indonesia. and yes, i'm generalizing, because that's the way to do statistic.
I have 2 kind of 'friend'. Those who found the need to chat with other friend is their first priority mostly choose BB because their friend already on BBM. But lately, this group have change mostly to android because samsung brand is cool, and most of them (around 90%) also already use what's app because they need what's app to communicate with non-BB user.
The other group, who chat is not their main thing mostly were in Android right now, some in apple land.
and when you said, you buy BB because it's the best device for typing, i bet you type BBM, not school project, or bussiness plan.
I give you clue on the sales number of BB vs. Android.
1. you can google around, or go to detik dot com.
2. you can go to gs.statcounter.com, and change the graph to mobile OS, and country to Indonesia, you could see that Android is raising, BB is up and down. Android user is rising because the sales of android device is rising. BB is up and down because lots BB user sell their BB to the second hand shop, and the phone lying in the shop. then some one buy it, so the graph is up and down.
3. Go to some junior high, and do a survey what kind of phone they were bring. 70% of junior high student use android and symbian (mostly second hand n8, e7, c7, x7).
i know BB is NOT THE BEST SMARTPHONE. It's a dumb phone for goood sake.... it can push message and email, but you must pay for BIS. Where the competition (android), the student can use the free wifi and still be able to have the same functionality as BB, so they spend less money.
38. AndaPastiBego3 (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
BB (before the OS10) is considered dumb or NOT REAL smartphone because it doesn't behave like a modern smartphone OS (the competitor).
and Why BB 10 would not be a success because:
1. most of the BB user just using BB for BBM. Meaning, they were dumb phone user, and bring small revenue to RIM, and won't buy BB10 device to replace their current device.
2. the developer already tied up in Android/iOS, and adding new platform to support mean spending money, and have the 'same' income (if BB is dead, and the user went to android/iOS, then the developer don't need to spend extra money to develop but have the same income). Therefore, RIM will have a hard time fighting android/iOS
3. The generation Z is picking Android at a great rate, and they converting BB user in their area into Android user. This is the driving factor and the winning factor for Android
45. DerryAhmad (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 May 2012)
Wow.. There're lots of accusation there..
But I think you failed to prove the things you mentioned in your first post:
1. BB is a dumb phone. All your argument is using BIS.. Yada..yada. But failed to mentioned what behaviour which is considered as 'Dumb' Android/BB/iPhone is still a phone. It's main purpose is to deliver communication to its user. And those 'smart' features are nice to have. But it's not it's main purpose. BB also able to do other 'smart' features. Maybe not as advance as Android, but the BB OS is definitely better than IOS.
2. BB is dying in Indonesia. From what you said above, it only 'indicate' that BB is stabilzing. And not certainly 'dying'. Your personal experience is not the indication of the entire nation. While an independent research by McKinsey Global Institute stated that Blackberry is still the no.1 smartphone in Indonesia.
From my experience, there are several points why people buy Android phones (in Indonesia):
1. There are wide variations of devices. Some of them are even cheaper than blackberry
2. Ecosystem. Yep.. The apps. Many attracted to Android due to the abundants of games and other 'cool' apps. There are many sophiscticated apps, but they're not the main draws.
3. Data charges are getting cheaper.
In overall.. I do think most Android devices give more value than Blackberry devices.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Android devices. And to certain point a proud owner of iPhone. But you haven't prove your point stated in the first post.
Maybe you just hate BB. Well.. That's becoming a trend nowadays. But you gotta give credit where its due.
The BB platform IMO is still the best in delivering its core function. To be a communication and messaging tool. And it's damn good at it. It's also able to do some other 'smart' stuff.
I wouldn't call the BB OS as dumb. But yeah.. It's the ecosystem that sucks. But RIM is aware of that. Thus, they"re currently held BB Jams all over the world to attract developers.
48. maxout (Posts: 32; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
After Moto MMI i wish google buys RIM and kills BB then merge Moto and RIM into Google Mobility and start working only on Killer OS for next gen. (Google bought MMI for its skill set not for devices)
11. JunkCreek (Posts: 402; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
By the all the way, PHYSICAL KEYBOARD MUST ALWAYS PROVIDED. gaming is perfect using physical game pad and button. texting are fastest using physical keyboard and user can less concentrated to phone while texting, remember the days we got physical numeric pad? we can even texting while we driving even motorcycle and almost not have to look all at the screen all the texting, can still even look interesting in something on chat while texting. SO, PHYSICAL KYBOARD IS UNEXCHANGEABLE!
12. soshi (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Mar 2012)
Only if they make one flip phone variant. I already has touchscreen with bar form. Miss flip but not like bb style, make it more manly
26. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i only find it weird on the QWERTY BB10 device coz its a square...720x720 1:1 ratio...
27. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
wow.. at least people still love to have a QWERTY phone...and they trust BB for that!!!
so i wish BB10 QWERTY device will be promising!
but im getting a full touch screen!
36. AndaPastiBego2 (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
samsung and other android maker also have good QWERTY phone.
40. kapoorsunny (Posts: 19; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
Oops Let me rephrase it...I am in for BB10 QWERTY phone
42. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
LOL... BB's QWERTY are way better!
50. a_tumiwa (Posts: 276; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
it`s better because you are BB fansboy, accept the fact that Android and iOS are better