Sony Ericsson Xperia Play to see Minecraft before anybody else will, owners rejoice

Posted: , by Daniel P.

If you are one of the lucky owners of the first dedicated Android gaming handset, the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, you should be happy about the fact that SE makes whole on the promise to out some games for your handset before anyone else can play them.

Such is the case with Minecraft, the indie building game, which has more than 8 million registered users building amazing things with just simple blocks. Granted, it is very addictive, and the developers from Mojang state that updates for the Android version will be as frequent as for the desktop counterpart.

"When playing on smartphones you will have a different screen size compared to PC, different hardware, different attention spans and thus the game needs to be customized to fit the mobile specifications," said from Mojang.

Therefore, Minecraft will be specifically coded to take advantage of the dedicated gamepad on the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, which might mean we won't see it soon on other Android devices, at least officially.

Is Minecraft exclusivity enough of an enticement for you to get the first specialized Android gaming handset? The first preorders are already shipping, and the handset becomes available on Verizon tomorrow.

source: Gamasutra

posted on 25 May 2011, 12:02 2

3. dara (unregistered)

modern adroid phone and also the best handheld gaming device on the planet - people dont appreciate that combination enough :)

posted on 25 May 2011, 18:38

5. WDBJ (unregistered)

I work for Verizon and we have this phone in store anddddddddd i cannot stop playing Bruce Lee and the Babylon flight game. Preloaded with Gingerbread is a plus :)

posted on 25 May 2011, 18:42

6. killa.fo.reala (unregistered)

this phone is the HOT it looks good and the feel of the phone is WAY better than I thought it would be. Customers are going to love it and I cant wait to sell it!!!

posted on 25 May 2011, 18:43

7. killa.fo.reala (unregistered)

Does WDBJ stand for william dale blake jr?

posted on 26 May 2011, 09:13

8. WDBJ (unregistered)

Hmmmmmm...? Kinda freaky?

posted on 26 May 2011, 22:30

10. Joel V (unregistered)

Who wouldn't want to have a PlayStation on their phone? I think that the PS part of the phone will make it so much greater! I am definitely looking into getting the phone-gaming hybrid. Sure there have been some issues with Sony, but I think the gaming experience is where it matters. I am sure the Xperia Play will be great for all the apps it can download since it is running Android. One being the DISH Remote Access app. I have been using the app on my old MyTouch. I love this app because it lets me choose to stream live TV or recorded shows from my 922 SlingLoaded receiver to my phone anywhere I am. As a customer and employee of DISH Network, I have had a lot of time to play with the app, and I definitely suggest going to dish.com/tveverywhere to get all the information on taking your channels with you wherever you go! I can’t wait to get an Xperia Play!