Samsung's JK Shin says it's too early for a Tizen smartphone
Although a Tizen-based Samsung smartphone was spotted at MWC 2014 yesterday, Samsung will not launch any commercial handsets running the new platform "anytime soon." Why is that? Well, Samsung co-CEO JK Shin reportedly declared that it is “too early” for a Tizen smartphone.
According to ZDNet, JK Shin said that there were “still things that needed to be mature” before the company launches a Tizen phone. For example, the lack of content and apps is one of the problems that the platform has. So, all in all, it’s not yet clear when we’re going to see a Samsung Tizen handset in stores.
Samsung did unveil new Tizen products at MWC 2014, but they are smartwatches: the Gear 2 and Gear Neo, both coming to replace the first-generation Android-based Galaxy Gear. Tizen TVs and other devices are also expected to be released this year.
1. sprockkets (Posts: 1235; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Too late for a Tizen phone too Samsung :P
2. androiphone20 (Posts: 1468; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Wait, so that phone wasn't really a Tizen phone? F*?k a bag, Samsung I'll let you in on a secret...YOU S**K CAMEL DECK.
13. androiphone20 (Posts: 1468; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
There, turning into a little beotch again lol. You sir are a true hardcore Samsung fanboy I never got myself to believe it until now. Go ahead, tranform into full beotch mode like a friggin little girl.
btw I noticed you went after xperiaDROID too. God, you have an unequalled behemoth of a ep33n
17. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8577; Member since: 14 May 2012)
So by that stand alone comment, you can justify that I'm a Samsung fanboy? Did you not abuse caps lock and swear in the post? Seems to me you're even more raged than before. Funny because you're bi-----g and moaning like always.
Make a dumb post, better believe I'll give you a reply.
-Sent from my iPad Mini w/ Retina Display
20. hboy857 (Posts: 208; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
Oh, please everyone here on PA knows that you are a Samsung fan (I've been reading your comment for more than a year). Yeah, buy a f*ugly phone, you smart person.
15. hboy857 (Posts: 208; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
So, Smurf you happy with how S5 looks? Best of luck with your S5, i just wish you buy the one that leaked few hours earlier not the premium one we keep hearing about and show your unfathomable love for Samsung.
18. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8577; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm getting it regardless of design. Why? OtterBox.
16. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2306; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
A lot of haters in the building today, Smurf. Just another day, I guess.
19. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8577; Member since: 14 May 2012)
That's what I'm saying. Petty is what it is really.
3. Andrewtst (Posts: 330; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Go wait. Wait until no one care about Tizen anymore.
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8577; Member since: 14 May 2012)
They should release a Tizen phone soon and not wait...
12. dratomic (Posts: 463; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
im suspecting theres a problem with intel...
4. superduper (Posts: 150; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
"It's too early"
Read: "It'll never arrive, but we'll promise it at every trade show"
5. PepperKid (Posts: 6; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
So there goes the last straw. The leaked pics are indeed the GS5 then. Shame.
6. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1571; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
That's the same problem every OS faces. They don't want to launch an OS without content and apps, but no one's going to generate content or apps until the OS is in place. The same thing happened with BB, Android, iOS, and WP. But you just have to suck it up and put it out there, and gamble that the apps will follow. If the OS is good, the developers will come. It sounds more like they're not confident in their OS. But the situation is a prime example of a chicken and egg scenario.
7. Kishin (Posts: 617; Member since: 30 May 2013)
They should just quit...it will not succeed like android..
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8577; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You're a glass half empty guy aren't you?
21. Kishin (Posts: 617; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Kind of, iOS is my platform. Don't really care is Tizen succeeds or not.
8. tasior (Posts: 220; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Tizen is Samsung backup for android. Once Google and Samsung were arguing, Tizen was being rapidly developed. Now, when companies relation improved, it got stuck. In my opinion, as long as Google and Samsung get along, Tizen won't see the daylight. Espacially after Samsungs experience with BadaOS.
14. Cicero (Posts: 395; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
So I'm f**ked! I really tought the S5 leaked pictures were a tizen phone. Why to put on market smartwatches with tizen without a tizen phone. Sammy is screwing our minds. If the leak os fake sammy is a master of pupets. If not we are the worst pupets on Earth.
22. Sharky (Posts: 124; Member since: 24 Jun 2008)
If its too early now I'd like to know when "on time" would be. If they want to build Tizen up this would be the right time since Samsung is just about at the height of brand recognition. Your typical consumer doesn't really care about Android or IOS or WP. You tell them its a Samsung and they are likely to buy it.