Samsung Galaxy S II update to bring larger icons, OTA updates widget
1. shotunz (unregistered) posted on 09 Oct 2011, 12:33 3
oh my GOD!!!! the update makes it look more like an iphone.....
34. willardcw4 posted on 09 Oct 2011, 16:52 3
It is just an option for the elderly and those that can't see well... it won't be a mandatory setting... it's an option you can turn on and off.. chill. It's been out in Korea for a while.
People need to not freak out and take every article as if it is 100% true. There is plenty of misleading and incorrect information out there. If you see something that is completely out of line from what you would expect, then it probably is.
50. Sam (unregistered) posted on 09 Oct 2011, 23:13 0
is this true williardcw4? can you confirm this? i hope it only optional
35. ledbetterp3 posted on 09 Oct 2011, 16:57 6
You sound like the idiot, it seems like you never really liked android because this is just samsung that's changing their UI, no one else, yet you said im tired of android...? I personally don't like samsung, but i'm still a big fan of android. I don't care if you have your own opinion but please don't call people idiots for no reason.
36. Galaxys2...R posted on 09 Oct 2011, 17:10 0
well said, android lead the way but I am a big fan of samsung and htc, sony ericsson aswell but their phones are more nicer looking and camera orientated than more hardcore like samsung and htc imo.
39. afasfafasfsaa (unregistered) posted on 09 Oct 2011, 17:44 0
go launcher ex
46. pongkie posted on 09 Oct 2011, 20:47 1
@ dharaDUMB do have to post all large caps so annoying
44. mandkeee posted on 09 Oct 2011, 19:14 2
I LOVE APPLE, ANDROID .....BUT I HATE SAMSUNG...
STEVE JOBS SAID.." year of copycat???/ " yes..that is true....
2. clevername posted on 09 Oct 2011, 12:39 5
This update makes it look less like an iPhone. It makes touchwiz pretty ugly too. People dont get a bigger screen to have it used all up with huge icons. They were already easy to press. I think Sammy is conceding too much to apple this time. They should have just done a redesign of touchwiz.
4. Lucas777 posted on 09 Oct 2011, 12:49 5
ya… i gotta say it looks pretty bad… even if they were trying to evade apple, im sure they could have thought of a better way than this..
19. remixfa posted on 09 Oct 2011, 14:05 0
no, bada is touchwiz, it looks just like regular touchiz.
SGS2, now for those that cant see.. lol. i gotta agree, thats kinda umm... ugly. woulda rather they shrank them and went with a 5 row screen instead of a 3.
41. ledbetterp3 posted on 09 Oct 2011, 18:02 0
I agree, 5x5 grid would be cool, remix
38. Lucas777 posted on 09 Oct 2011, 17:39 0
do u think i like bada? i greatly detest it..
3. Synack posted on 09 Oct 2011, 12:40 4
YUCK NO THANKS. Better not be doing this s**tty update to the Nexus Prime.
12. twenti7 posted on 09 Oct 2011, 13:30 3
By definition there won't be any TouchWiz on a Nexus phone. The "pure Google experience" is what makes it a Nexus.
6. Galen20K posted on 09 Oct 2011, 12:50 1
terrible update for a Fantastic phone, I wonder if they'll allow people to keep the old style or not.
8. Galaxys2...R posted on 09 Oct 2011, 12:54 2
that is the foulest thing i have seen, it even looks bad on the wave. I much like the 4 row icons 3 row is just awful, i like the way my sgs2 is now and dont want it changed to this ugly rubbish
9. hm... (unregistered) posted on 09 Oct 2011, 12:55 0
Worst update of all times (and all OS).
Who s mad enought to keep the new interface?
10. Smith (unregistered) posted on 09 Oct 2011, 13:09 1
Hello guys! This UI IS optional! And it may be great for older people.
11. lubba posted on 09 Oct 2011, 13:19 1
Getting close to "tile" status. Lolzzz! This was the first thing that caught my eye in wp7, large tiles for easy viewing and tapping. Plus they're live! Looks like most posts so far indicate the love for little dead widgets. Lolzzz!!!!!
13. ReturningToNokia posted on 09 Oct 2011, 13:33 1
@lubba...Too funny! I was thinking the same thing...Samsung wants Tiles it seems, so they are going to slowly acclimate their Android users by increasing the icon size. This is hilarious! All of the outrage by the SGSII users - does it mean that they will start throwing out their devices? Just really funny....
18. lubba posted on 09 Oct 2011, 13:58 0
Sorry i meant to thumbs up but accidentally tapped the wrong one my HD7 mangofied phone. Agree it is funny the outrage.
16. Droid_X_Doug posted on 09 Oct 2011, 13:53 0
Yeah, but didn't Sammy complete a licensing deal with MS? If Sammy's Android UI starts looking more like WP7, they should be on firmer ground if they did in fact close a licensing deal with MS.
24. protozeloz posted on 09 Oct 2011, 14:29 0
Aren't titles and widgets nearly the same thing?
14. Thump3rDX17 posted on 09 Oct 2011, 13:50 2
the dock isn't so bad but the 3x3 grid of the homescreen is an area of some concern because that won't be able to accommodate ALOT of widgets from the Market.
17. Smart posted on 09 Oct 2011, 13:58 1
I might be completely wrong here but very few users will like to go for this update if its optional......I for one am sicking to my old 4*4 grid........
20. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 09 Oct 2011, 14:23 0
Hopefully they will update it to ICS and leave it at full stock.
21. protozeloz posted on 09 Oct 2011, 14:25 0
Hope that the homescreen its optional and users have both, also wasn't the only broken parent related with the bounce effect on the galery app?
22. sam (unregistered) posted on 09 Oct 2011, 14:25 3
This look very ugly. i dont want big icon..this make the screen look small. As an owner of sgs2 i strongly against this silly update. please hear us samsung before you turn already beautifull phone into UGLY BIG ICON !!!
25. protozeloz posted on 09 Oct 2011, 14:32 0
While you can, save your launcher.apk for using in case this happens
26. elite monkey posted on 09 Oct 2011, 14:47 0
why dont samsung sue apple and say the original iphone 4 was a copy of the original galxy s
27. androidsbiggestfan posted on 09 Oct 2011, 14:59 0
Samsung want to make the icons big because they don't have hardly any great widgets, HTC widgets are awesome, get on the ball Samsung!
28. Rad (unregistered) posted on 09 Oct 2011, 15:01 6
Guys.. This is OPTIONAL function for OLD PEOPLE who have problem reading small text and icons.
Already released in Korean about month ago. Misleading articles indeed.
29. radukr posted on 09 Oct 2011, 15:14 2
Samsung Electronics said they started releasing software update that includes 'Big text home', 'System update widget' for Galaxy S2 from Late August.
The noticeable function on this update is 'Big text home', while user spectrum have expend to middle age, old age who might suffer using smartphone, added 130% larger icon than normal one for them.
Also Favorite person, Favorite application, Big sized calendar, those large sized widget are added which middle age, old age people using frequently to meet their satisfaction.
37. Daniel.P posted on 09 Oct 2011, 17:29 0
Thanks, radukr, for pointing that out, we've updated the article...
47. lubba posted on 09 Oct 2011, 21:02 0
Eventually you'll get old yourself and the same goes for android. No one stays young forever kid.
30. Jacng7227 posted on 09 Oct 2011, 15:33 0
root your phone and put cyanogenmod 7... no need for samsung to eat apple assH*ole
31. ArmageddonX posted on 09 Oct 2011, 16:10 0
Larger icons?! Wow... make touchwiz look even more like one of those fake "toddler" v-tech kids phone now LOL
33. taz89 posted on 09 Oct 2011, 16:49 0
am sure this is going to be just another option lol it better be otherwise ill just stick to my current firmware
40. warlockz (unregistered) posted on 09 Oct 2011, 17:56 0
If you read it and digest the information its merely an added option which is good for those who can utlize it other than that nothing else changed. Bravo Samsung for thinking of our respected "old people"
45. ReturningToNokia posted on 09 Oct 2011, 20:47 0
Hopefully, Samsung will be more selective with their 'wording' when they release it widespread. Older people? (as Phone Arena's intelligent and brilliant staff puts it). Are their not teens and/or young adults who are visually impaired (i.e. who wear glasses and/or contact lenses)? My parents have 20/20 vision and do not need glasses to see or read with clarity!
43. jay (unregistered) posted on 09 Oct 2011, 19:06 0
i dont really understand why people are so fussed about this update, coz there are apps on android market you can download for free and even customise how many columns and/or rows you wanna have, not to mention cool themes! :-D. My fav is GO Launcher stuff. Dont panic peeps :-)
48. lubba posted on 09 Oct 2011, 21:05 0
A little change and the fanboys go crazy. Tisk tisk...
51. Sam (unregistered) posted on 09 Oct 2011, 23:16 0
I hope this is only optional. we have to wait until official announcement from samsung. we don't have to believe 100% in speculation
52. yuck!! (unregistered) posted on 10 Oct 2011, 00:21 0
53. roscuthiii posted on 10 Oct 2011, 12:29 0
Maybe this is just Samsung shining people on... kinda like saying, "Oh, we look like iPhone? You people must be visually impaired. Let us help you out..."
54. nb2six posted on 10 Oct 2011, 13:43 0
This update isn't for the masses so of course lots of people are not going to like. It's for those who want a smartphone but cant read the small print or make out the small icons. This is just another way that Sammy is working to get their phone in everyone's hands. In dealing with older customers who regularly complain about the small print on phones, I think this is a boost for android in general..