Leaked screenshots show Nokia Carla OS
Based on the images, it appears that there is a new on-screen QWERTY keyboard that is very Windows-esque, if you will. The lock screen losses the unlock button in favor of a swipe to unlock method. The Nokia Browser has been updated to a new version with some UI improvements. Finally, the UI of the Music player and the Options screen also received facelifts. Interestingly, the new Options screen appears to be reminiscent of the Meego Harmattan interface.
Thanks to our readers for sending this in!
1. sorcio46 (Posts: 392; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
Very Ugly, compared to ICS and iOS5 and WP7...
Nokia why did you choose Windows phone instead of Android ?
5. codymws (Posts: 236; Member since: 17 Jun 2010)
Probably because Nokia wanted a beautiful OS to match their beautiful devices like the Lumia.
2. eaxvac (Posts: 328; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
What's Android background doing there? Nokia u mad?
9. drahmad (Posts: 478; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
that android background proves it to be a fake story. i guess.
19. karanstyle (Posts: 188; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It means Android is Toxication and its sign says so... :-P
7. Lucas777 (Posts: 2121; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
its just an update... that title is a little misleading
12. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5149; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
If this is an update to WP7/7.5/whatever, doesn't even Nokia need to get the update from MS? They can't go out and do their own update; what about OS fragmentation?
13. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 720; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
it's an update to symbian devices not windows ones and part of nokia's deal with microsoft is that they can change the UI if they want which they decided not too and nokia can send updates to any of they're own devices they only take major updates of MS like tango updates that will change the intire OS for example OS
anyway this update has nothing to do with microsoft
14. shadez10 (Posts: 381; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Its an update for Symbian OS... not windows...
you should read the whole article before commenting...
18. Mario1017 (Posts: 336; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
You should really read, you look like an idiot now.
4. flopjoke (Posts: 42; Member since: 05 Jan 2012)
It is interesting and looks neat. Brings hope to Symbian fans. I hope it comes to older S^3 devices. I'd like to keep my N8 for a bit longer.
What is Nokia doing anyway? Symbian, S40, MeeGo and Windows Phone 7? Removing s**tty "Ovi" and bringing back the word "Nokia" was a step forward, but making soooo many operating systems is going back to the same confusing state. Now people will be confused, since only a handful of people who actually follow up every Nokia news know what's what.
Go Symbian and Windows Phone ONLY, but not ALL of them.
15. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 720; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
you should know that meeGO is been killed the N9 was nokia's first and last meeGO device and honestly had a better UI than symbian s40 is been running since 1997or 8 i think and symbian is only supported by nokia untill 2016 at the moment so nokia is onlyworking with s40, symbian, wp7
s40 is just at's not a smart one so it doesn't need a lot of work i think nokia is on the right track at the moment
6. kastor (Posts: 43; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
this is just new update of symbian no new OS,just new good update over belle,and nokia have only 4 OS i their devices,one with meego,2 iwth maemo,and loto f symbian and wp
8. shadez10 (Posts: 381; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
great new improvements... =D
looking forward for some reviews... =D
10. David7 (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
the music player looks ugly compared to belle's music player
20. ZubairRaz (Posts: 5; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Nokia is reverting back to meego ui i think...
this looks like meego's interface,,,
21. kastor (Posts: 43; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
form me best thing is swipe to unlock,what is very good
23. A.aoudi (Posts: 125; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
That radioactive android background is cool. If Nokia would run android they would have been the manufacturer with the best android UI.
24. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Damn I hate Nokia .
It's been 2 years now since u bought my n97 and it is s**t .
I think a flagship (although a stop gap model) deserves more update and it shouldbe updated to Anna , belle , whatever .