Leaked screenshots reveal Google Play Store on BlackBerry 10.2.1?
For BlackBerry 10 users, having the Google Play Store on their device would mean no more sideloading of Android apps. And this could quickly address one of the major shortcomings of the BlackBerry 10 platform which is the lack of apps. Could this lead to improved sales for the beleaguered company, or will those who want to run Android apps just stick to buying an Android phone?
Alas, this is just a rumor for now, and as much as it makes sense, and as badly as BlackBerry 10 users might want this, we need to take this with the proverbial grain of salt until BlackBerry makes it official. In the meantime, for you dreamers, check out the slideshow below.
Leaked screenshots show the Google Play Store running on BlackBerry 10.2
1. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2406; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
BlackBerry OS with Android apps! Perfect!
16. LiyanaBG (Posts: 288; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
BlackBerry rescued by Android. BlackBerry back in the game. i think BlackBerry made the right decision being in the game better than nothing.
18. Finalflash (Posts: 1534; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Not rescued completely yet, they still have to fix their hardware issue. If they are going to compete, they have to bring something unique to the table other than just their OS. Otherwise, they better have the best damn hardware on the planet otherwise why would you rather not just buy an Android phone.
20. LiyanaBG (Posts: 288; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
agree but they are rescued from dead by Android for now.
13. kushki (Posts: 49; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Not at all... this means malwares for blackberry too now... It was lacking but at least secure for business sector.... not anymore
14. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5465; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Do you really think that there was no malware for BlackBerre before? :D
17. Finalflash (Posts: 1534; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
He's probably one of those Apple extremist that knows nothing and regurgitates talking/marketing/BS bullet points. Go easy on him please.
25. axllebeer (Posts: 265; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
Not perfect, but close enough. As perfect as it gets for now.
2. Gsmalltheway (Posts: 145; Member since: 15 Aug 2009)
and with the blackberry z10 only 0.99 at ATT or 339.99 off contract that isnt a bad thing. might help sales tremendously
30. JC557 (Posts: 913; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
The Blackberry Z30 is looking to be pretty nice if this story rings true. Many people are saying it's a good phone just lacking in apps/ development. Now this should help solve that problem.
4. camera531 (Posts: 125; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
10.2 is only available on the Z30 and who knows when it will hit the Q10 and Z10 (especially in the US). So this is amazing news, but could literally be a year off if ever...
5. Darkerm (Posts: 118; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
Good Luck BB, I really Love You.
BTW. Android is What I love most.
6. _Bone_ (Posts: 2106; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Blackberry an Android OEM with exceptional build quality - bring it AWWWWWWN!
8. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Google please spare BB of it's misery, buy the company, and use the newly acquired patent army to drive Apple and MS to the GROUND!!! :D
10. ChafedBanana (Posts: 355; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Ooooh, might just have to dust off the old Z10.
11. JewBakaUCFG (Posts: 173; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
I cannot stand BlackBerry. Though, to be honest, I have not used a BB 10 device. I really feel like this is a last gasp of air for BB if it is indeed true. I cannot see aindroid a lot of fans departing from their platform to go to BB 10 with Android apps. It's better for the developers than anybody else.
26. FadyNabil (Posts: 37; Member since: 10 May 2013)
This appears to be good, but on the long run, not very good for blackberry,
Who then will make blackberry apps then? and for what?
28. 9thWonderful (Posts: 230; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
Great. now what's the recourse for everything else wrong w/Blackberry.
29. Taters (Posts: 2648; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Is this even possible? I am pretty sure qnx is pretty different
31. JC557 (Posts: 913; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
No, it was demonstrated a while back that Android apps could be compatible with QNX/ new BB OS. This was back in the Playbook days.
37. Taters (Posts: 2648; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
They had to emulate it which lead to a lot of performance issues. I side loaded android apps on my playbook personally and Kindle for example, ran like crap.
In order for them to do something like this, they need to dual boot two operating systems or run something crazy powerful like the core i5 on the Ativ Q where windows 8 is the core OS while Android is emulated by sheer processing power.
Not sure if this is even possible....
32. Sire3008 (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
Good luck to RIM Blackberry. Hope they will learn a great lesson if they survive this storm.
34. marbovo (Posts: 621; Member since: 16 May 2013)
Ok, so BB gave up on their OS? Because I don´t think Google is gonna let them use the Play store through another plataform
38. machello (Posts: 26; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Hello lovely people,
Just buy the 5S and all your problems will disappear.