Last chance to download Flash on your Android device before it disappears tomorrow
today is the very last day that you can install Adobe Flash on your Android model. Obviously HTML5 is the future and Adobe will be turning in that direction with its resources.
So is this a posthumous victory for Steve Jobs? The late co-founder of Apple hated Flash, calling it a "CPU hog" to the Wall Street Journal. On January 30 of 2010, during a famous verbal attack Jobs made on Google and Adobe, Jobs called Flash buggy and predicted that no one would be using it in the future, correctly predicting the ascent of HTML5.
source: TheVerge via Phandroid
32. frydaexiii (Posts: 1268; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Sigh, another one...Why is it bad that we can have both? It's not whether Flash sucks or HTML5 is "ftw", if Android can support both formats, isn't that a win for us users?
2. androidornothing (Posts: 143; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Its kind of sad that they are completely taking it out but its good at the same time because HTML5 is what browsers mostly will be using in the future. I have a GS3 and i can say that not having flash sometimes is hard cuz some contents cant be viewed but the trade off is a smoother and faster web browser. And im sure soon all web sites will use HTML5 so it shouldnt be a problem for long.
5. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
then install dolphin or Opera.
Just because chrome doesnt use it doesnt mean other browsers dont support it.
17. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I have it working on my NEXUS 7 tablet :-)
40. jakson0100 (Posts: 27; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I have it in my S3 and i downloaded by following this guide http://www.careace.net/2012/10
21. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
getting jelly bean on my razr soon :-)-)
27. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5664; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
how are you hoping to accomplish that? o:
4. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
install it. why wouldnt you want the full internet experience?
Installed and titanium'ed and cloud backed up for me. :)
6. mas11 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I'm sure xda will have the .apk so no worries
9. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5664; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, i swiped the latest version in anticipation for this. xD
22. torr310 (Posts: 532; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
I forgot to install Flash after the data reset and haven't felt any difference on browsing. Also, above mentioning Flash as a CPU hog, I wouldn't have a thing installed and I didn't feel the advantage of it.
7. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Flash was one of the things I liked about android. Now that its gone though I hope html 5 will be pushed even harder. I always hated flash but its hard to avoid using it.
10. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5664; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Correction: today is the very last day that you can DOWLOAD Adobe Flash on your Android model. i'll be holding on to my .apk for dear life to use to install to my future devices. ;)
20. nwright94 (unregistered)
Your thumbnail picture....nightmares...can't run O.o
28. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5664; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
you can't get away from me...just like HIM! >;]
13. ahomad (Posts: 168; Member since: 15 May 2012)
I still don't understand why people keep saying steve jobs predicted the future. he made the users of iOs suffer and lost good number of his users due to his decision of not including flash in the iOs. and now adobe decided to terminate their service, that decision completely has nothing to do with steve jobs, like anything on earth (everything will come to an end some day) and yet some people relate the flash discontinue to Steve jobs or steve jobs predicted that or even steve jobs win, thats completely nonsense. its not like steve jobs developed HTML5.
14. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5664; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, that was years ago, Android users had a good run with Flash and it's not like HTML5 isn't an option for them.
16. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
Adobe themselves said that iOS had a LOT to do with the reason flash mobile died... soooo yea the decision DID have to do with Steve Jobs but who cares, HTML5 is better.
18. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I think that was more of an attempt by Adobe to sling mud at apple in retaliation for SJ's comments on the matter.
When SJ made those comments, no phone could handle flash well. Times have changed. Now just about every phone has the horsepower to handle it if the OS chooses to allow it.
24. downphoenix (Posts: 2591; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
actually it has everything to do with jobs and apple and how pussy Adobe is. Adobe should have been strict on their stance of flash and threatened supporting their apps like photoshop and premiere on the mac platform if apple didnt concede, instead they wholeheartedly gave in to apple's demands and killed off Flash before HTML5 matured. HTML5 still hasnt matured, most multimedia sites STILL use Flash.
25. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
well, iPhoto and other (obviously monopoly based) services, could have taken over, I mean adobe is already fighting this "well integrated" Apple cooked applications.
15. skymitch89 (Posts: 1168; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I don't see why they're removing it from the Play Store. I think that they should keep it on there but shouldn't support it, and put a HUGE note at the top of it says something like "THIS APP WILL NO LONGER BE SUPPORTED OR UPDATED". Other than that, if I need to re-install Flash, I'll just find the .apk and side-load it.
19. master0fursinz (Posts: 104; Member since: 26 Apr 2010)
well i for one am looking for movie2k to switch up to html 5 fast
23. nwright94 (unregistered)
No matter which website I go to now there's someone with a slender man thumbnail -_- I'm starting to believe he's actually ate me.
26. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
is it me or has html5 been the "future" for quite a few years now, and still we all will miss the flash ability on android..?
29. redmd (Posts: 977; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Where's this html5 all of you talk about? Just install the apk file then we're all good.
31. Peter98 (Posts: 119; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Google and Apple did it correctly. But however, lots of things still using Flash. Hope that HTML 5 will be better and more common in the future :D
33. robocopvn (Posts: 275; Member since: 10 Mar 2010)
The point is, some of my favorite video website still need Flash to run :))
34. captn3x (Posts: 43; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
What made Android so good was it did things no other phone did. If the consumer wanted it, Google made it happen. Flash was truly the only reason I stayed with Android. Sounds dumb to some but at 40, Battle Pirates is the most gaming I do these days. BP is all flash driven in Face Book and though the game wasn't playable, on my DROID 4 it would load and I could play about 50% of the game while on the go. I always wanted to try other OS's......will it be apple or WP8? I'm thinking a nice Nokia!
36. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6946; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
My Atrix already have FLAH built it did the last update few weeks ago plus on my WALKMAN Z. i like flash better than HTML my porn and videos on sites plays better. I still blame APPLE for killing FLASH.
37. CivicSi89 (Posts: 348; Member since: 23 Jul 2011)
wow dude. just wow. if you are watching porn on your phone. you might wanna consider getting a Casio GzOne Commando. Its "Liquid" Resistant.