History of HTC

Posted: , by PhoneArena Team

History of HTC
HT Cho

HT Cho

Some time ago, when we were discussing the five biggest producers of mobile pones, we mentioned the saying that behind every successful man there is a strong woman. In the story of High Tech Computer Corporation (HTC), there is a dame as well. Her name is Cher Mi Wang and she is the daughter of one of the richest people in Taiwan. In 1997, she entered in a partnership with HT Cho and Peter Chou and that’s how HTC was found. Its main purpose was to bring to the market a combination of a cell phone and a personal assistant.

Peter Chou with the HTC Touch Diamond in London
Cher Mi Wang

Peter Chou with the HTC Touch Diamond in London

Cher Mi Wang

However, the project was not that successful; it consumed a large amount of capital and it seemed that the disaster was inevitable. Then the family riches of Mrs. Wang were used to save the day. She invested heavily in the company and brought it back on its feet by improving the engineer and designer sections. In addition, a new course was set and HTC agreed to develop products for other brands. The first success comes in the face of a mobile computer (in 2000) ordered by Compaq and later HP (after the merger of both giants). HTC becomes the big hit in 2002, when the first Pocket PCs based on Microsoft’s OS are developed. This attracts the attention of some big wireless providers such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, Sprint Nextel, O2, Vodafone and Orange.

Many think that HTC has entered the game two years ago, because that’s when the first HTC branded phones appeared. Actually, during the rest of the time, the Taiwanese manufacturer has been a busy bee, producing units for the various carriers mentioned above and brands like Qtek, Dopod (division of HTC), Dell, Fujitsu-Siemens, HP, i-mate and Sharp. This helps the Taiwanese company gain popularity one step at a time with models like Magician, Wizard, Apache and prove to be one of the best producers of Windows Mobile smartphones. 2006 is the turning point for the company, because it starts offering HTC branded phones and to have its own advertising campaigns.

HTC Magician
HTC Wizard
HTC Apache

HTC Magician

HTC Wizard

HTC Apache

The key elements, which HTC brings to the table are the innovative ideas. That’s proved by the popular Touch series, which is trying to change the public opinion and convince the consumer that the Windows Mobile devices are not only “heavy bricks” intended for work only. The models are attractive and employ the finger friendly TouchFLO interface. On top of that, HTC is the creator of the first Android OS phone, the HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1).

HTC Touch

HTC Touch Pro

HTC Touch HD

HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1)
HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1)
HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1)

HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1)

HTC is one of the fastest growing companies on the market, attestation for which is the third place awarded to it by Business Week in the global chart of the best technological companies in 2006. The following year, it manages to get to the second place in Asia, which results in more attention and rumors that soon, HTC will be one of the big five (top manufacturers of cell phones). The first successful step in this endeavor was becoming the leader in the production of the more and more popular Windows Mobile smartphones.

I am not a writer but this article was very hard to read. There are so many grammatical errors that you almost had to fill in words just the make the sentences flow correctly. On another note how long did the team take to research and write this? I am sorry, I do not mean to be critical of the article but it reminds me of a report that a school kid would do an hour before it was due.

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 09:42

5. Earl (unregistered)

An THAT's why you're anonymous!

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 09:47

I'm anonymous only because I don't have a log in for this site. Though I do read this, Phonescoop (big brother of phonearena), Engadget, BGR, Gizmod, GSMarena well I think you get the picture. I don't see why my opinion about this article is being judged only because I am listed as "anonymous." Does that make me less of a person?

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 13:58

There always are haters, don't worry :)

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 17:17

19. vzw fanboy (unregistered)

I AM NOT ANONYMOUS LOL i have the same user name everytime

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 08:35

2. likeabite (unregistered)

I love this company..very innovative...the company name sucks though and i'm glad they shortened it to HTC lol

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 09:35

I was expecting more ... kinda short read.

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 15:46

Yes.. Well... Me too, I was looking for the link to the second page when I understood there wasn't any. A few sales growth or maybe market share charts would have been nice, maybe a chronological list of the devices (with links to existing data sheets..) - it doesn't require that much work, I guess even wikipedia has some data to contribute.. Well then, at least we get it for free :)

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 09:41

boooooooorrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 11:26

Anonymous, anonymous, and anonymous are all right... this falls short of the slightly higher expecatation I had for such an article. Especially with the word HISTORY in there! Perhaps the title should've been "A Quick Look at HTC's Growth." Oh, and Earl sucks...

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 11:43

i think that HTC needs to drop winmo. I personally think that windows mobile is a heavy brick for work only. Its interface is just sooo broing and not fun to use

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 14:30

that's exactly why they developed TouchFLO and TouchFLO 3D is to make it more interesting for the average user

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 15:51

TouchFLO 3D could have been much nicer if it could be customized - e.g. if I could add a "video player" tab *by myself* - even if it were just a pretty link to the regular player.

posted on 11 Nov 2008, 00:14

agreed, but its definitely a step in the right direction

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 11:54

9. kdmorris777 (unregistered)

Who cares about HTC anyway after dissing the U.S. by saying that they won't be releasing the Touch HD on our shores. A really stupid dumb mistake with the thousands (myself included) that were salivating just waiting for a U.S. version to come to us. After all, they (HTC) were the ones who stated on their own official website that the Touch HD would be released in other GLOBAL (doesn't that include us?) markets after its release in Asia. Now they come up with the lamest excuse about not being able to engineer it for the U.S. in time for anyone to purchase it. What??? If I had to wait another year I would still buy this phone IF it were available to us. I can see why HTC almost went belly-up...someone's not making very smart business decisions.

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 13:34

Get a life... LOL. OMNIA is aroung the coner... and Thunderstorm is coming this week, so who cares bout the silly Touch HD

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 13:36

"who cares about HTC anyway".............looks like you do from the rest of that paragraph, talk about bitter.

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 14:32

what they mean by not enough time is that if they did a US version it'll be behind the rest of the product line. so like you said "wait another year" and see what they have, something involving the Tegra chipsets probably

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 15:55

Take a look at their last year's offerings.. QVGA devices. Today we have the Touch HD. Talk about next year? I don't think you'll want the HD... They actually said that they didn't want to develop the US version of the HD because "by the time the US version was ready we would be having better products to offer". I'd take that as a "hint" if I was you.

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 16:06

18. DeeBee (unregistered)

we'll see... and i have to agree :)

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 20:13

Yeah...then they'll only make that version for Asia and elsewhere and give us the same bull story over again. They could have made a U.S. version for the HD just like they did for the Diamond and Touch Pro. Anyways...T*Omnia anyone???

posted on 11 Nov 2008, 10:39

Sure.. T*Omnia. If you live in South Korea, that is... LOL

posted on 12 Nov 2008, 02:14

Actually, it's been reported that samsung is in talks to bring the T*Omnia to the U.S., so don't LOL too hard.

posted on 10 Nov 2008, 21:47