HTC ThunderBolt still needs polishing before launch
Melone did not specify exactly what kind of issues were slowing down the release of Verizon's first LTE-enabled smartphone, but the delay was said to have something to do with LTE being a new technology. Other probable causes were rumored to be the battery life being below par in comparison to other devices and the smartphone's ability to establish data and voice sessions simultaneously. It has even been suggested that Verizon may be intentionally postponing the launch in order to keep the interest in its iPhone 4 high.
Still, Verizon's CTO did eventually include that a year ago LTE smartphones were not expected to launch as early as 2011 at all, which meant that Verizon is still doing a great job in adapting to the new technology. We just have to remain patient and wait until the HTC ThunderBolt gets polished to perfection before hitting the shelves.
source: ZDNet via IntoMobile
1. rwrife posted on 10 Mar 2011, 10:17 2 8
My money is on an Apple agreement that is preventing new phones from being released at VZW.
8. bbonline posted on 10 Mar 2011, 10:43 1 0
One would think that idea would be right (and it sounds valid), but this agreement with Apple must have been signed way before the announcement for the iPhone was made, which was after CES. If that clause would have been there, there wouldn't have been any major new phones announced at CES. As much as I hate to say it, they are within their timeline.
23. narley posted on 10 Mar 2011, 13:02 3 1
So if that were an agreement why would they allow VZW to release the Xoom right before the Ipad2? isnt that the same scenario...
this couldnt be further from the truth and the rumor is pathetic.
2. jay (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 10:23 2 2
no i dont thiink it has anything to do with apple. i have the 4 g broadband card and it has problems with it its not stable. sometimes you have fast speed and then slow and sometimes it drops the signal. they really have problems with there 4g.y
7. zuno gyakusatsu posted on 10 Mar 2011, 10:38 1 0
if you switch from 4g coverage to 3g coverage it requires a hard hand-off. meaning it will drop your connection and you have to manually connect again to 3g.
3. asdf (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 10:25 0 0
slow news day or something? let's all agree to not pay any attention to Verizon for a while until the 2nd quarter has ended. then we can see if they're actually releasing a phone late after their own intended deadline. these rumors are useless and not saying anything new not to mention Verizon hasn't actually released any new phones since the iphone.
11. dallasgrant posted on 10 Mar 2011, 11:05 1 1
That is not true about no phones since the iPhone. HP introduced the Palm Pre 2 since the launch
16. mmgbmt posted on 10 Mar 2011, 11:34 1 3
and i think your the onlyone that noticed. plam is dead no one cares!
27. derp (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 14:18 3 0
"plam" has never existed.
28. Beaker (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 14:19 4 1
Actually, theres plenty of people who care. Your just an idiot.
4. poohnroo2 (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 10:28 2 9
I agree apple is running Verizon now. Verizon lost control when they brought any crappy apple devices onboard. The rest of us get stuck waiting for Verizon to get their head out of apples butt before we get the phones we want and not the crappy iphone that we didn't want to begin with.
17. taco50 (banned) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 11:34 5 2
So Apple is running the world now and preventing other companies from launching phones?! The people on here are so hate filled they have lost all sight of reality.
5. steven252000 posted on 10 Mar 2011, 10:29 0 0
Or it could be they are waiting to get their tiered data plans in place before they release the phone. Remember tiered data plans is in the works. It may make some people mad who hold out for the Bionic to be held to a tired plan while the Thunderbolt if released now would still have unlimited available.
31. beatlesfan posted on 10 Mar 2011, 16:32 0 0
Verizon can launch the tiered data plans whenever they so choose. Waiting to get them in place doesn't logically make sense. They would just launch the tiered data now, then launch the Thunderbolt tomorrow if that were the case.
9. JaceKurtz (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 10:46 2 4
You know it has to be something related to financial gain for Verizon or it won't be released. Also, there are rumored problems with the battery. Not to mention the "rumored" price at BestBuy is too high, out of line with similar devices. More, you know with Verizon such money grabbers that they will for sure impose some fee on 4G data or devices before they are satisfied. They are only garnering attention for this phone just like they did for their Droid Incredible a year ago. Ignore them and wait for a better device or get a good phone on a different carrier.
10. YARDIE87 posted on 10 Mar 2011, 10:47 2 1
I'm almost close to washing my hands of this handset with all the delays. If a unit isn't close to ready, don't put the hype train in motion, it will always hurt peoples' interest when it's FINALLY released. I'm now looking forward to CTIA for othher options.
37. DaveDaDude posted on 10 Mar 2011, 22:02 1 0
What delays, did Verizon officially announce this thing while we wer all sleeping?
12. Allday28 posted on 10 Mar 2011, 11:08 3 2
I think I am just gonna wait to see what the iphone5 has to offer now. If It dont get a bigger screen than I will Wait till htc makes a dual core phone cause I am definetly not a fan of motorolas phones at all.
29. ProudRain (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 14:46 1 0
LOVE HTC phones, but they do need to work on the battery life of their handsets
13. trin posted on 10 Mar 2011, 11:26 4 2
1. Verizon never announced an official launch date.
2. If they are so evil and money grubbing why aren't their customers leaving in droves?
3. You're waiting on a phone...not a kidney.
19. Imdone (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 11:39 2 2
1. their partners did. if your boyfriend lies to me i won't like you either. (unless you are hot, tight, w/big boobies:) )
2. they do.they do leave, only att is just as greedy and ripoff and people are migrating back and forth. I did it twice. Plus with all the new customers every yr. it's not damaging to them. It's a pretty big herd here. :)
3. no kidning... thanks to tell us. we fiill much smart novv
24. marshefen posted on 10 Mar 2011, 13:38 2 0
1. What partners left?
2. Customers aren't leaving in droves. Just because you left, that doesn't mean much. VZW still has one of the lowest churn rates in the industry.
3. I don't even understand this sentence.
26. kocho (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 14:16 1 2
2. I'm leaving Verizon because of this bull. I was forced to use Verizon after they took over Alltel. And I admit that Verizon's cell phone service is impeccable. No doubt about it. I have never dropped a call once, so I'm hesitant to leave. But, sometimes you have to make a point and not take abuse from bullies and just kick them in the f-ing balllls.
36. Das70 posted on 10 Mar 2011, 19:21 1 0
Whats wrong with prepaid???? I went to metro pcs because I was tired of all the main carrier BS. I have had great service. Yeah the internet is a bit slow without wifi but its very usable. I get all the same frills you get at half the price. No offense but people who use the Verizon has the best service thing(they do) is just an excuse. Its all about the lastest phones for you guys.LOL Your addicted.
39. DaveDaDude posted on 10 Mar 2011, 23:34 1 0
Are you serious? You think Verizon is going to miss you? Yeah, you keep thinking that!
14. Rich (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 11:27 2 2
darn apple had to come to verizon :( i might switch now. garrr
15. Imdone (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 11:32 1 1
Too bad. I still need a phone at the end of March when my contract exp. w/At&t.
Choices: Stay at Att and get the Atrix or move to Vz and get the Bionic. ...
Got only 2 the questions: 1.how much the bionic will cost? 300? In that case I'll pick the Atrix. 2.how many weeks that will be delayed?
Tbolt was going to be out late Feb., now we are talking somewhere before June?
As much as I hate Att's greedy data plans I'll might just pick up an Atrix.
32. beatlesfan posted on 10 Mar 2011, 16:37 2 0
Thunderbolt was going to be out late February according to whom? Phone Arena? Engadget? Analysts who jump to conclusions too quickly? Neither Verizon nor HTC ever announced a release date. Silly, uninformed public.
18. bumhole (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 11:36 0 1
this phone is going to be to old. by the time it comes out. its not going to be good at all in to months the phones for 4g is going to be more faster and better i say htc had thier time but now its to late go home htc boo
40. DaveDaDude posted on 10 Mar 2011, 23:38 1 0
I hope you're 4 years old with the way that you type, hopefully you don't really speak like that?
25. guest (unregistered) posted on 10 Mar 2011, 14:14 1 2
at this point idc if the phone has problems just release the damn thing then we can fix the bugs from there
34. roldefol posted on 10 Mar 2011, 18:41 1 1
I want it NOOOOOWWWWWWW mommy!
Sheesh. This is how we end up with products like the Xoom that look great but lack key functionality. Rushing hardware to market is not Verizon's style. And while phone geeks may be fine with buggy devices they can tweak to perfection, most of the public will just get pissed off and return them.
35. downphoenix posted on 10 Mar 2011, 18:44 1 1
The whole "Delaying the thunderbolt to increase demand for Iphone 4" is retarded. Itards buy Iphones. They aren't interested in Android devices. If someone's not an Itard, they aren't the target audience for an Iphone, so just release the thing already!
Its probably for another issue, like a software glitch or something of that nature they are trying to get sorted out, maybe the production yields were not as expected and therefore wouldnt have sufficient supply for launch/
38. blamecanada posted on 10 Mar 2011, 22:43 1 1
1) It has not been released because the 4G smartphone packages are not solidified.
2) This is the big one - vz is having a hell of a time provisioning the 4G handsets to work properly in terms of calls and data handoffs. This isn't so much of a problem in that it works, however, getting the entire package to work properly isn't going as planned (voicemail, sms/mms, caller id, etc.)
41. dieselxdan posted on 11 Mar 2011, 11:46 0 0
call me crazy, but yes I believe it this time. A day after getting it. We will be all back here bashing the phone battery.
42. luis_lopez_351 posted on 13 Mar 2011, 01:20 0 0
someone reported my comment and it was removed D: just because i said "more like polished ____ ". Rhymes with herd ;)