HTC EVO 3D vs LG Thrill 4G: specs comparison
In the pure specs comparison, though, the HTC EVO 3D comes slightly ahead. We assume they are both using the same type of parallax barrier overlay on top of their 4.3" screens to recreate this sweet 3D effect, when observed from normal distance and angle. The display on the HTC EVO 3D, however, comes at a much higher qHD resolution of 540x960 pixels, whereas the one on the LG Thrill 4G is the standard 480x800 pixels fare.
Since we know the 3D overlay diminishes the picture definition and quality somewhat when used, we'd say go for the higher pixel count. Again, we will have to make a comparison between the EVO 3D and the LG Thrill 4G up close and personal, before we pass any final judgment, but for now we'd take the higher-res display, all other things being equal.
They are not, however. The Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 chipset in the Thrill 4G seems to be the best dual-core silicon out there, based on some preliminary benchmarks we did at the MWC Expo with it (we scored 2800 on Quadrant with it in a prototype). Granted, it's the first time we encounter the dual-core 1.2GHz third generation Snapdragon in a phone, so, again, we can't say which one is better before we have the production versions in our hand. Recently leaked results from benchmark sites databases, however, painted this Snapdragon as slightly inferior in overall performance than TI's chip in the LG Thrill 4G.
However, the HTC EVO 3D comes with 1GB of RAM, and the Thrill 4G's dual-channel memory is 512MB. Moreover, these benchmarks were with a far-removed prototype of the EVO 3D. Even if in the end it indeed turns out that its chipset is a tad slower than the OMAP4 silicon, we'd still rather have the display with the higher resolution before the benchmark bragging rights. Unless the qHD resolution on the HTC EVO 3D screen as achieved with a PenTile matrix arrangement, but we will check on that when it arrives for review in the office.
1. damienh28 posted on 22 Mar 2011, 15:47 9 2
LOOKS LIKE SPRINT WINS AGAIN, Suck on That AT&T-Mobile, Ill be in line for that evo 3d
3. Tre-Nitty posted on 22 Mar 2011, 15:55 4 15
What did sprint exactly win? ATT clearly has the best set of handsets set to be released this year. I know you like Sprint but you sound pretty ignorant.
7. JW1ngman posted on 22 Mar 2011, 16:06 6 1
have fun with your data traffic when you merge with tmobile sucka
9. Tre-Nitty posted on 22 Mar 2011, 17:16 6 6
I will have fun with my unlimited data. Have fun trying to use that ego 4g 3d in a building or better yet have fun worrying about being bought out. I love when I get downvoted because it means I struck a nerve.
26. corps1089 posted on 23 Mar 2011, 09:46 4 0
What Unlimited data? You're joking right?
44. Roughneck69 (unregistered) posted on 24 Mar 2011, 13:37 1 2
I have had unlimited data from AT&T for quite a few years now, and still have it.
11. remixfa posted on 22 Mar 2011, 17:59 5 1
u realize that made no sence right? Data traffic isnt going to change initially because Tmobile and ATT dont use the same 3g radio frequencies. Call reception will immediatly get better though. In the end, if they are smart (and they are not), they will build off Tmobile's much much faster infrastructure and better 4g coverage (hspa+ on tmobile is actually capable of nearly 100mb/s with full upgrades.. which of course probably wont happen now) instead of ATT's poorly hacked together 4g wannabe network.
How about this.. both phones are KEEEEWL. They both win.
14. Tre-Nitty posted on 22 Mar 2011, 18:23 0 2
Exactly my thoughts. That LG looks like a great build.
8. androidrulez (unregistered) posted on 22 Mar 2011, 16:07 5 1
It's a better phone than its opposition on AT&T. I would say that's a victory for Sprint. Sprint doesn't win many things but I will give them this one.
12. remixfa posted on 22 Mar 2011, 18:01 4 4
ok.. what exactly did they win? Both phones are nearly identical. the only real difference is one has a higher resolution display and the other has faster benchmark scores.
they are both a win, and both cool.
But if i had to choose, id go with the LG, because im a hardware dork.. lol.
19. Lucas777 posted on 22 Mar 2011, 22:00 1 0
and as they said, it might be that weird subpixel switching red and blue thing... which cuts the res visually
24. AndroidTroll posted on 23 Mar 2011, 09:11 5 3
The biggest difference, that evryone seems to be overlooking, is that one is made by shitty LG and the other is made by quality HTC. Sure they both have similar specs, but HTC phone will always come out on top. Name one good LG phone...anyone? Anyone?
25. droidnator posted on 23 Mar 2011, 09:23 4 1
All phones of the Optimus line rock. And were first in some areas (3D, dual-core...)! I can name more than 1 good LG phone... Don't be biased just because the previous LG phones were bad. LG are really changing for the better.
31. remixfa posted on 23 Mar 2011, 16:35 4 1
LG makes many great phones. Dont buy anything because of brand identity. Even the best company makes turds.
46. AndroidTroll posted on 28 Mar 2011, 15:34 0 0
Okay, aside from band identity then... evo 3D has more ram, higher res display, bigger battery, android 2.3, htc sense, and it's not on shitty ATT who blocks installation of non market apps!
61. Nathan posted on 26 Jul 2011, 13:25 1 0
The LG Thrill 4g is a TRI DUAL phone which has 512MB of DUAL RAM, DUAL CHANNEL, and a DUAL CORE processor, and for your information is capable of side-loading.
54. muahahaha (unregistered) posted on 26 Apr 2011, 00:32 0 0
18. chinakidoliver.iab posted on 22 Mar 2011, 19:17 1 2
the lg optimus has a app were u can download 3d muvies and has better 3d on the ratings
30. pooltery (unregistered) posted on 23 Mar 2011, 13:35 1 1
yeah NO you wont. A year from now att will have the deal set with the government and sprint will fall off a clif. And yeah that a pretty sweet phone to bad it wasent put on a good network.
53. k3Ck (unregistered) posted on 21 Apr 2011, 20:33 1 0
It's too bad you're a retard and know nothing about technology.
The Thrill is much faster. Lets look at the RAM for example...
The EVO has 1024MB and the Thrill has only 512MB. What they fail you tell you is...
THE THRILL HAS DUAL CHANNEL RAM WHICH IS MUCH FASTER THEN THE EVO.
So even tho the Thrill has half the RAM, it's MUCH faster then the EVO's 1GB.
Same thing with the processor. Even tho the Thrill is 200mhz slower, it's still faster because it's a TI. It was rated faster during tests.
LOOKS LIKE AT&T WINS AGAIN, Suck on That Sprint, Ill be in line for that thrill 3d
2. JW1ngman posted on 22 Mar 2011, 15:47 2 4
not too suprising that the HTC is almost double in each category over the LG.
20. Lucas777 posted on 22 Mar 2011, 22:01 0 1
really... cause i dont even see one category where it is double... maybe u shud go onto some htc site... it wud probably be double there...
57. djfubar (unregistered) posted on 21 May 2011, 16:25 0 0
"The Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 chipset in the Thrill 4G seems to be the best dual-core silicon out there..." Learn to read the full article before jumping to conclusions.
4. clevername posted on 22 Mar 2011, 15:57 1 2
Although I like the look of the thrill much better I'd rather have the EVO. Way better specs. That is if i were planning to get one.
13. remixfa posted on 22 Mar 2011, 18:05 5 2
the better specs belong to the LG over all. it doesnt have the higher rez screen. thats about it.
-HTCs processor is much slower than the tegra2
-the snapdragon requires more battery power, so even the increased battery in the HTC probably wont give it any better battery life, it will probably still be worse.
-dual channel RAM on the LG (a phone first) at 512 mb (correct me if im wrong but arent the CORRECT LG SPECS 2 x 512mb since its dual channel.. which means 2 pieces instead of 1) runs more clocks per second than the 1gb ram on the HTC. Dont get caught in who has " more". More of a slower item, is still slower.
15. calamazoo (unregistered) posted on 22 Mar 2011, 18:47 1 1
i'm pretty sure the RAM on the EVO 3D is also dual-channel, although HTC hasn't announced a thorough breakdown of specs yet. It has to be, because of the 3D management specifics with two cameras...
32. remixfa posted on 23 Mar 2011, 16:37 2 2
If it was dual channel, they would be braggin that its dual channel, just like LG went out of their way to show that. It is a new item and greatly reduces the bottleneck from single piece ram chips.
17. JW1ngman posted on 22 Mar 2011, 19:02 2 2
dual processors, bigger battery, and double the RAM. dont think we'll have to worry about the power efficiency. guarantee the HTC will have a longer talk time bro.
33. remixfa posted on 23 Mar 2011, 16:40 2 1
lol, u obviously didnt read my post about the ram.. 1gig of single dimm ram is slower than dual channel 512mb DDR memory which is in the LG. More of slower is still slower no matter how much u have.
the bigger battery is needed because the dual core snapdragon is a powerhog. Snapdragons have the worst batterylife of the availible chipsets. It will either be the same talk time or slightly less.
HTC is known to not have a big enough battery in the phone.. phone chargers are mandatory. lol.
like ive said before, both phones look awesome... thought it would make more sence if u knew information about the specs your "drooling" over. :)
34. heyitzme posted on 23 Mar 2011, 17:09 2 0
I love how Remixfa knows sooo much about the battery life on the evo 3d even though it's an unreleased phone with a 3rd gen dual core snapdragon chip...The first to be in a phone. I wouldn't judge its battery consumption based on older chips.
38. remixfa posted on 23 Mar 2011, 20:58 1 1
Maybe u should read other sites than PA. Anandtech and many other sites have already done dozens of benchmarks across the different chipsets for power usage as well as benchmarks. I talk about it because I've read the research. Im not spoutin guesswork like you guys are. :)
35. n64kps (unregistered) posted on 23 Mar 2011, 18:06 3 2
Let's see here...I'm failing to see how the LG is better at ANYTHING.
I'll address the points you make first.
1. HTC uses Qualcomm's 3rd gen Snapdragon processor (1.2 GHz dual core) that hasn't even been released to the public yet so how can you claim it's slower than the Tegra 2? (Tegra 2 actually runs at 1 GHz vs the 1.2 GHz of the Snapdragon) Additionally, the LG DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A TEGRA 2 CHIP, it clearly states that it runs the Texas Instruments OMAP4 processor (1 GHz dual core).
2. Again, back to the 3rd gen Snapdragon not being released yet, how can you make any claims about battery life with that processor? Dual core doesn't mean it will consume more battery. It means that it won't need to work as hard to accomplish the same task. Also, the 1st gen Snapdragon used a 65nm manufacturing process compared with the 45nm process used for the new 3rd gen dual core Snapdragon which increases efficiency and therefore battery life. In combination with the 15% larger battery, I'd hedge my bets to say the EVO 3D will have superior battery life.
3. I will correct you because you are wrong. The LG Thrill only has 512 MB of dual channel RAM. It doesn't mean that there's 2 sticks of RAM, it means the communication speed between the RAM module and the memory controller is ideally doubled, essentially having 2 separate lanes vs 2 lanes merging into 1. With that said, however, 1 GB of single channel memory is still better than having half the amount of dual channel memory as the 1 GB has more potential in cases of high demand where as the 512 MB will be maxed out more of the time.
Now moving onto comparing the two phones.
Dimensions: EVO 3D is slightly smaller and the LG Thrill and negligibly lighter. We can call this one a tie.
Screen Size: Both at 4.3". Tie as well.
Resolution: EVO 3D at 960x540 and LG Thrill at 800x480. Also, the EVO 3D has a superior SuperLCD vs the Thrill's TFT LCD. EVO Win.
Battery: 1730 mAh for EVO 3D vs 1500 mAh for Thrill. The EVO's battery holds over 15% more juice. EVO Win.
Android OS: EVO has 2.3, Thrill has 2.2. EVO Win.
Processor: Both have yet to be tested against each other so it's hard to say who the victor is. The EVO 3D's Qualcomm dual core processor is clocked at 1.2 GHz vs the 1 GHz of the Thrill's TI dual core processor. We could say tie, with slight advantage to the EVO until further testing is performed.
RAM: Addressed in 3rd bullet point. 1 GB vs 512 MB of dual channel. EVO still Wins.
3D Graphics: Again, new processing technology, yet to be proven who the victor is. Tie.
Camera/Video Resolutions: Same for both. Tie.
In not one category did the LG Thrill win so your claim that the better specs belong to it is completely invalid.
This post was not to bash the LG Thrill at all. It's clearly going to be an awesome phone that will perform quite well. The spec differences between it and the HTC EVO 3D aren't extremely huge, however the EVO does take the cake when you boil it down.
40. remixfa posted on 23 Mar 2011, 21:37 1 1
i guess i have to rebutt you.. ill just go the same numbering system u have..
1) As based on phone arena's own article "OMAP4 should offer what dual-core Snapdragons do, plus even better battery life, universal hardware decoding for playing any media file you get to it, and TI's superior image processing and stabilization technologies."
And here is a nifty benchmark test that benchmarks the OMAP4 (in the LG Optimus 3D) and the dual core 1.2 ghz snapdragon (in the HTC pyramid)
The snapdragon dual core chip is also at a disadvantage as its still based on Cortex A8 designs while The OMAP, Tegra2, and Orion chipsets are based on the newer Cortex A9 design thats has lower power consumption and higher outputs.
3) (no need to respond to #2, i just answered 1 and 2 in the last responce)
You should correct yourself. 2 channels of memory by 2 seperate pieces of memory is faster than a single piece of ram, even at double the ammount. (even if the ram is the exact same speed, 2 chips of 512 mb ram are faster than 1 chip of 1gb ram for the same reasons dual processors at 1g (which is really 2 processors @ 500mhz) is faster than 1 processor at 1ghz. The other problem here is that the LG doesnt have 512mb of regular ram. The specs are WRONG. According to LG it has 4 GIGS OF DDR2 RAM (2 gigs X2 pieces of ram)
Here is a nice " why is dual core better" promo piece from LG explaining why u are so wrong.. lol
And here is the specs that were reported at the LG launch event, and covered by every other phone site the as the same.. exept PA.
from what i can tell, PA just copied the info from GSM arena which also states it as 512mb . I can all but assume that it is supposed to be 512mb of application memory. If you do a search for lg 3d specs, they all list it as 4gb DDR2 which is way more and way faster than a measily 1gig of regular ram thats in the HTC.
u really dont know what ur talking about and should really stop because u look like a total idiot arguing about things u havent really even looked into.
41. calamazoo (unregistered) posted on 24 Mar 2011, 05:54 1 1
Actually, bro, it\'s 4Gb memory they are writing, which equals 512MB of RAM for the Optimus 3D, the specs are correct. And dual-channel is great, but we won\'t really know about how the EVO 3D performs before it gets released anyway.
And why do you care, both phones have more than enough horsepower to run anything you throw at them at least for a year or so...
42. remixfa posted on 24 Mar 2011, 07:37 1 1
amazing that LG doesnt agree with you. I think ill side with them on this issue.. lol. They say its 4gb of DDR2 Dual channel RAM with 8 gigs of storage space. You should click the links i provided.
Im not siding with anything, im correcting a misconception in the specs. Read my first post where i say they are both awesome and people should get either.
Personally, if i were getting one or the other, id get the LG, because the specs stomp everything else out at the moment and im a spec nerd. I am holding out for a fully functional GalaxyS-2 before i make up my mind on anything though.
43. webknight (unregistered) posted on 24 Mar 2011, 12:38 0 0
actually he's right. Its only 512MB of ram. Gb = Gigabits. Mb = Megabits. GB (note hiw both letters are uppercase) = GigaBytes. MB = Megabytes.
Since 8 bits make up 1 byte, 4Gb = 512 MB of ram.
Every tech site confirms these specs. Sorry.
45. remixfa posted on 24 Mar 2011, 21:01 0 0
didnt notice that part. if thats true, then your right, i concied that point. and yes, i checked a converter just to make sure. :)
my original point stands though about dual channel 512mb ram is still faster than a single channel of 1gig. Thats old school computer knowledge at this point. It also didnt change anything else of note either in the arguement.
5. dlfleish (unregistered) posted on 22 Mar 2011, 16:00 0 0
Lest see a compare of the Evo 3D and the Nexus S
6. JW1ngman posted on 22 Mar 2011, 16:05 3 0
you can actually do that yourself. just click "compare"
21. Lucas777 posted on 22 Mar 2011, 22:03 0 0
who cares about nexus s... it has nothing on these new phones...
10. downphoenix posted on 22 Mar 2011, 17:21 0 0
Raw numbers look better on the Evo, but we will just have to wait and see.
16. Flip7 posted on 22 Mar 2011, 18:52 2 3
Woow that dude is ignorant I'm on Verizon but I can clearly see that evo 3d wins, is pretty clear unless he's looking at another page, nice job HTC, I'm gonna switch to sprint to get that bad boy
22. snowgator posted on 22 Mar 2011, 23:05 0 0
I mentioned in a post earlier- if you are a 3D fan, who do you trust to put out a better device based on recent history: LG or HTC? I just think LG puts out mediocre devices. Looking foreword to the posts after some of you get to play around with em both, though.
23. evoguy (unregistered) posted on 23 Mar 2011, 09:10 0 0
Ppl who hate Sprint go ahead laugh most rumors of Sprint come true by the end this year there Sprint coverage will switch to the size of Verizon lol . Other carriers just hate Sprint cuz there phone can't win against the evo devices
28. RandomGuy (unregistered) posted on 23 Mar 2011, 09:49 0 0
Truthfully i think the LG Thrill is going to sell faster the the Evo
29. snowgator posted on 23 Mar 2011, 10:15 0 0
Probably- last I looked, AT&T was bigger. Doesn't mean that the Evo 3D and these other phones won't continue to entice new customers to Sprint. Might make the Evo more profitable.
36. Chow Mein (unregistered) posted on 23 Mar 2011, 18:40 0 0
att-mobile and vzw fucking sucks a bitch limited data wtf... i use over 6G a month the best thing about it? its unlimited and the calls are unlimited i dont care if the call Quality sucks as long as i have unlimited everything for a under hundred bucks... plus those of you cant tether unlimited sucks for you... Htc Evo 3D Damien you tell it how it is...
47. balastar1 posted on 29 Mar 2011, 15:46 0 0
HTC clearly built a better phone, we will see if the battery life is better though.
48. android2 posted on 29 Mar 2011, 22:38 0 0
sprint is way better than att because i have family tryin to switch because att only work in town and still drop calls ....htc is better on sprint ,i can name one evo best phone until now....evo 3d .......iphone is att.....they gotta buy tmobile to stay up float in next 5 years....hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha.............peope yhat bwork att got big red or sprint phone..work phone is att because of discount...
50. Jose (unregistered) posted on 13 Apr 2011, 18:45 0 0
TI OMAP4, thats all you need to know, you either want the new Tegra 2 Chipsets or the OMAP4, both are leading and taking names on benchmarks right now. BTW EVO 3D has benchmarks too, its under the name of HTC SHOOTER, and its doing horribly in 3d tests and speed. Im going with the LG all the way.
If you dont believe me just check online for current benchmarks on LG Optimus 3d and the Tmobile G2x - Then come here and post about some slow ass DC Snapdragon ;)
51. chavez (unregistered) posted on 16 Apr 2011, 01:21 0 0
my main concern at this point is BATTERY life! Which last longer and for how long.
-I expect the HTC to have far more apps due to the larger RAM but whether I use all of them I won't know.
-Does any know how much RAM it takes for the 3D feature function
52. CX3NT3_713 posted on 18 Apr 2011, 01:30 0 0
I think the LG trill 4G is better.. I mean com-on? hTC suckz,, when I seen the video on the Htc 3D ,, it didn't even look 3D? Lol "SMH" cheap knock off
56. hidroid (unregistered) posted on 20 May 2011, 14:27 0 0
LG loses. There is a reason why the evo 4g and evo 3d have won best phone in show at ctia for the last 2 years. For all of you debating the specs like your life depended on it get a fucking life. HTC sense ui owns. That is all.
58. ZEIFERZ (unregistered) posted on 29 May 2011, 03:11 0 0
are you all sitting down and crying over hardware,software, and which phone is prettier? WAAAH WAAAH they are just phones. you people really need a day job. how about this? i have a 6ghz RAM i7core processor in my LAPTOP. and it destroys all your crap phone specs lol. and its mobile. and i can call people on it. ha.
59. unregisered (unregistered) posted on 21 Jun 2011, 15:09 0 0
ZEIFERZ, this is phone arena, where people come to compare and fight over what the best one is.
You have 6ghz ram? interesting..
60. sg85 (unregistered) posted on 23 Jun 2011, 14:15 0 0
First off you don't know what dual channel is its not 2 RAM and we gonna have to wait for the real versions to test hey LG ops phone ain't bad but from all the phones from Samsung ,LG,MOTO,HTC, HTC just seems nicer out the box and the .2 ghz makes a difference if the LG O3d had the qhd display I'm sure the benchmark score would be much lower both nice phone but Evo 3d does it for me and
62. thedrinkingcrow (unregistered) posted on 26 Jul 2011, 13:46 0 0
as for me i am currently with sprint .. i had at&t before will admit that at&t had more coverage area when i was traveling , with sprint when i travel sometimes i have no coverage but overall i am still happy with sprints prices which is the main reason i switched to sprint, but sprint uses 4g wimax technology which they claim their is no preset caps ... which is true but after a while they will manage your speeds for using too much bandwidth . i manage to use close to 16 gigs of 4g because i tether my device with other devices then after i reach around 16 gig i was being what they call ''NIMS'' and was told by level 2 tech pretty much i have to slow down on my 4g usage and the system will remove me from being manage ... so now i get dial up speeds with 4g speeds.. but i mean 16 gigs on any other network.. would not fly.. but then again i hate being told the fact its unlimited download data ..but they dont advised that using so much data will cause your speeds to decrease ..but like i said 16 gig on any other network would not fly especially now .. but overall .. i was happy with at&t just too expensive and i am happy with sprint .. i think both companies cater certain selections
63. Ayeeerrrona (unregistered) posted on 28 Jul 2011, 01:39 0 0
Sprint comes out with one good phone like every year.. yeah there was the first edition EVO.. and then evo shift.. which is the exact same thing just with a real keyboard.. and now the evo 3d...
So sprint LACKS variety of phones.. as ATT finally getting android phones.. htc, motorola, samsung, and now lg brand... PLUS Iphone's.
I've had the Iphone 4, now I have the samsung infuse.. and im thinking of getting the lg thrill once my contract expires in a few months
64. salesman (unregistered) posted on 07 Sep 2011, 18:17 0 0
ok i work with phones all day...the evo is better that the thrill...due to the evo having the dual core processor and those who like speed thats a big deal...better resolution by far and all around better look and feel...id go with the evo hands down