Bogus Apple ad convinces some that iOS 7 makes your iPhone waterproof
The bogus ad on its own doesn't create any problems. But combine it with those Apple iPhone owners who are not knowledgeable about smartphones in general and iOS in particular and you have the recipe for some rather stupid, self destructive behavior. Yes, that is right. Some iPhone owners actually believed what they were reading was legit and decided to test it out on their own device.
The result, as you can imagine, left a few people upset as their beloved smartphone died from water damage leaving them with no phone and no recourse. Unless Apple decides to give these people a break, they are SOL as the water damage detector is bound to show quite clearly that the reason their iPhone isn't working has something to do with the handset being damaged by water. We have a call into Apple to see exactly how it is handling this. As soon as we get a response from Apple, we will pass it along to you.
Just to make matters clear, no Apple iPhone or Apple iPad model is water resistant or waterproof out of the box. There are third party companies that will make your iPhone waterproof for a price.
The idea for the prank might have come from a patent we told you about this past March, which was awarded to Apple. The patent is for a number of sensors that are placed inside an Apple iPhone and can detect when you've dropped your handset. Using gas to slow down the free falling iPhone, the device makes a soft landing keeping the components inside the unit intact.
Bogus Apple ad says that iOS 7 makes your Apple iPhone waterproof
source: BusinessInsider via CNET
1. Ninetysix (Posts: 1469; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
I know the ad is bogus but even Samsung doesn't cover water damage on their S4A :) They will probably replace it once if you're lucky.
5. Commentator (Posts: 2330; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
What, did you realize you didn't have popcorn?
What's bogus is that manufacturers are still adamant about not covering water-damage. It's become kind of a cultural norm that consumers are strangely okay with.
6. Ninetysix (Posts: 1469; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
@work right now. Left the popcorn at home :(
21. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Apple loves to rip there customers off! They have limited so many features that should be available on every devices.
Bluetooth, file managers, ....etc. It saved them money not to pay patent fees to the owner.
Apple the "R&D"™ company are very smart rinsing money from public! App launcher device with halfbaked OS, along with limited features, and restrictions!
Are you saying your life is controlled by Apple!
You are a human free to do whatever you like?
38. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Let him have fun with his s4 while he bashes samsung and android TROLL. Take a look at his link. All it does is just proves he's a hypocrite.
82. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 848; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
What in the blue blazes are you talking about? Most days, you are just a halfwit who trolls poorly, but today you must be wearing the "full-on Idiot mode rant" hat. Congratulations, you sir are the dumbest human being with an internet connection.
72. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Because it's the manufacturer's fault you submerged your phone.
15. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
All Apple users will believe in this! Knowing their all non techy, smart, illiterates!
17. Ninetysix (Posts: 1469; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
"iPhone owners are younger, richer, and smarter than Samsung buyers."
29. buccob (Posts: 1353; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Also babies, newborns and monkeys prefer the use of an iOS device... What is your point?
It is a simpler OS because overall it has less features and choices to make...
Want to open a link... Safari it is... no option to default it to Opera, Chrome... whatever...
Like swipe typing.... nope...
Want to make shortcuts or widgets... even for direct dial... nope... go to your contact list..
37. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5471; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
CIRP survey says that:
"...iPhone owners also tend to be younger."
But CIRP survey also says that:
"...Apple's customers tend to be richer and better educated than Samsung's."
Since when younger people are richer and better educated than older??? I think that results contradict themselves!
Also need to know that:
1) This survey was based on U.S. consumers, NOT WORLD WIDE! (Knowing that U.S. is is the biggest Apple market what to expect...)
2) Each survey was consisted ONLY of 500 subjects.
44. MartyK (Posts: 697; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Then would make a rich smart and intelligent person believe an os change would make your device water proof?. Lol
87. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
LLOOOLLL!!!! Retarded isheep!!! lambs to the SLAUGHTER baby !!!! mannnnnn iphone ppl are soooo tech ignorant
76. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Yeah because this TONS of sense. You're taking a study that was done on a very very small portion of the cell phone and even the world community, and presenting it as face... Almost every study that presents findings like this are done one less than a 1000 people in a predetermined section of the world. The sad thing is you apparently believe it to be some form of gospel. Talk about desperation in a losing corporate battle.
No wonder you buy Apple products, you believe this crap as fact...
85. Topcat488 (Posts: 1124; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Never believe what you read on CNN, puppet news agency imo. Not a reliable source sorry.
45. Sauce (unregistered)
Right, because I'm an Apple user and I totally believe in this.
Lmao brainless troll is brainless.
58. PotDragon (banned) (Posts: 214; Member since: 22 Jul 2011)
Do you believe a 4s is 4g device? Do you? THAT is the essence of an apple user.
MANAGER of the vzw corporate store I was forced to yesterday had an ip4s....sparkly pink case. Needless to say, she is/was incompetent & knows nothing about phones; had never seen a TYLT charger & spent 15 minutes trying to figure out what phone could test it.
THAT is an iPhone user. No clue about phones. Ever.
63. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7693; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'll be happy to take her job. They actually get decent pay plus a nice discount on their bill.
77. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
The mental stress isn't worth it sir. Trust me LoL
67. Sauce (unregistered)
No, that is simply an incompetent uneducated baboon.
Met plenty of those in my life, ranging from Walmart, to AT&T, to Samsung (@ BestBuy kiosks), to every other company (that sells phones) you can list. They are everywhere.
74. Rayvelynn (Posts: 123; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I love that. I'm a tech support rep and get that all day. lol
71. Santi_Santi (unregistered)
How do you think they sold 9 million iCraps?
73. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Yea Santi-Santi® tell them! But what use would that even make or do!
Really feel so for those iUsers™
How sad! All iBrains™
2. Commentator (Posts: 2330; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
About that last tweet (@wihe123):
Even if the iPhone were waterproof, it would still be at the bottom of the river, so I'm not sure you'd be in much better shape...
3. Sauce (unregistered)
This Ad is obviously not an official Ad.
Best regards and prayers to those who's brains are not fully developed yet.
10. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3849; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
4. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3849; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Gosh why are the majority of Apple customers SO STUPID? If it doesn't have the certification then guess what... it isn't waterproof.
That would be a HUGE selling point. Apple would make it VERY clear if the iPhone was waterproof.
Also how can a software update make your phone all of a sudden waterproof? lol
23. quakan (Posts: 1156; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
The majority of Apple users aren't that stupid, but you'll say anything to give yourself some sense that you made a good purchase with your phone and platform. From now on you should say, "Your phone sucks because I didn't buy it".
25. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
O yes they are! Majority of them are! The ones like us that we goto websites and forums are aware! Or else 85% are.
Cause the world we live in has 70% that are unsmart and unaware! They go with the flow, and follows the leader!
36. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
More like you are!
Says the iOS Apple Fanboy©
Not an iOSor a WP8 user.
46. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5203; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Grow up dude, you're acting like a 6 year old kid sobbing because someone stole your doll.
81. quakan (Posts: 1156; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Says the guy who uses made up words like "unsmart"©
86. Topcat488 (Posts: 1124; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
unsmart is indeed a word...
That must be "unsmarting" for you to say that.
96. Izoe (Posts: 104; Member since: 02 Sep 2010)
You're helping him make his case, unsmart is a word, look it up
97. quakan (Posts: 1156; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Neither Merriam-Webster nor Dictionary.com have that listed as a word. Troll.
98. Topcat488 (Posts: 1124; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
70. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3849; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yes they are, all those people who come out of the woodwork or their caves who get an iPhone because it's a fad & not because they did any amount of research are the ones who think the iPhone is now miraculously waterproof since they installed iOS 7.
Those are the same people who swore the iPhone 4 was 4G. Remember I said the majority are stupid not all. If you don't fall into that category then no harm done. lol
83. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 848; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
You mean they are just like the mindless hordes on XDA who don't read the dev posts and warnings telling them what NOT to do, then come back crying that their phone is bricked?
88. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
LOL omg REmember that madness ?!?!? even the AT&T ppl tried to temm me that shizzle. "oohhh the iphone 4s ISSS 4g!!" freaken tards man!!! thats y i had sprint wimax on evo 4g. i STILL pull brodband internet connect out of my ass till this day!!! wit the push of a wiget button man. BEAT THAT IPHONe user!
26. izim1 (Posts: 73; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
For those of you that don't know, this is another one from the people of 4chan. Remember the "quickly charge your iPhone 4 in the microwave" ad of a couple years ago? That was a 4chan gem as well.
89. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
LOLLSSS REally omg !!! cant believe i missed that!!! aww would been so much fun to recomend to an isheep !!!
8. zig8100 (Posts: 118; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
Exactly why they think it is the best phone and why they keep buying the same phone every year.
9. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5203; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
This isn't waterproof, so no matter how you explain it, it's still isn't waterproof.
Update to the iOS 7 can make your iPhone become waterproof? Who the hell made such a creative idea?
11. datphoneguy (Posts: 138; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Anyone who believes this "ad" deserves to have their phone damaged...
90. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
yes the freaken do man. its just so comical that ppl are that stupid. but hey!! thats who buys icrap !! i told my dad to get one so i wouldnt have to explain every single phone funcion to him. he just asks siri n she handels it pretty well so i get to be LEFT ALONE. that shows u what type a person uses an iphone right there
94. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
You type like a teenager with some hyperactive disorder. I'm just curious, not trying to offend.
12. twens (Posts: 547; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Once again,apple proves a point....iiiiisheeps will go drawn their phones. lol, morrons!!!!
13. bloodline (Posts: 691; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Brainless sheeeeeep doing what sheeeeeep do. Goes to show what idiots buy the iphone
50. Sauce (unregistered)
Brainless people like you that believe this Ad like the rest of the brainless PA users bashing iPhone consumers. Guess that makes you a Shëp. Lol goes to show what idiots actually have common sense and a functional brain.
51. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
That's right! Apples OS is based on "Half produced" "Beta" "Darwin OS
19. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6229; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Someone out there is trying to hard if u want waterproof phone buy the Z1. or the XPERIA Z water/dust resistance. iPhone can't stand up agaisnt something like that.
27. artealis (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
this great hahaha
come on iboy throw your waterproof ipon to the river
iboy is the best, they will obey apple 100%, apple is god