Apple responds to price fixing allegations, says “simply not true”
Antitrust experts say the DOJ has more of a case against the actual publishers than against Apple. Experts have pointed out that Apple only holds a mere 10% of the eBook market, whereas Amazon retains the majority of the control with its 90% share of the market. They also note that reports suggest that Apple did not attend the meetings where the publishers decided to fix the pricing on eBooks.
While three of the publishers have opted to settle with the DOJ, Apple is looking to stand its ground.
Apple spokesman Tom Neumayer released the following statement in response to the allegations:
1. bbblader (Posts: 520; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
yup cheap as a million dollars I would say
24. ardent1 (Posts: 1969; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Apple help break Amazon's stranglehold on e-books. Somehow, the DOJ forgot to look at this fact. How can Apple be anti-competitive when Apple is challenging Amazon's monopolistic behavior?
DOJ will lose easily based on the merits of the case. If the DOJ didn't go after Amazon, and now it goes after Apple, it creates a double standard.
26. meowcenary (Posts: 187; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
e-books were cheaper when amazon introduced the kindle (first generation). after the publishers and supposedly "apple", the price rocketed up. i take it you don't read much.......
3. darth8ball (Posts: 519; Member since: 02 Aug 2011)
In the same way as catching a child holding a marker standing in front of the wall they just drew on and saying "did you write on the wall?", both Apple and the child respond in the same way......."NOT ME"
21. stealthd (Posts: 818; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
For your analogy to be accurate, it would have to be the publishers holding the marker.
25. ardent1 (Posts: 1969; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
darth8ball, that is a HORRIBLE and butched analogy as expected by the android camp. Apple is using an agency model -- Apple doesn't set the price of the books but Apple wants to ability to match lower prices.
In summary, darth8ball, PLEASE work on your skills in using corollaries. Sheesh.
5. Mandroid (Posts: 209; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
LMAO, truly awesome. What a disgusting vile company.
6. rendHELL (Posts: 304; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
hidden message of apple...
"Stop it or I'll sue you!"
7. andro. (Posts: 1926; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Hmmmm...reports of antenna faults in the iphone 4 and heating problems in the new ipad simply aren't true either which makes you think.....
8. tedkord (Posts: 3779; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
All you Apple haters are going to feel really foolish when this goes to court and Apple is not only exonerated, but Amazon is ordered to give Apple all future profits from e-book sales.
Have you ever looked at a book? What shape is it? That's right, a rectangle. Do you really believe publishers arrived at that shape coincidentally on their own? You know they copied it from Apple, and did it poorly.
Just wait until the judge holds up an iPad in one hand, and a hardcover copy of the Bible in the other and ask the DOJ lawyers if they can tell the difference from 10 yards. Then the truth will be revealed.
10. rendHELL (Posts: 304; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
its ok and its good to be direct to apple haters... but keep your cool and dont loose it ok? ^_^
17. medicci37 (Posts: 538; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Looks like your iphone is having trouble loading your comment. I guess you must be doing it wrong. Cause, surely it can't be the iphone's fault.
18. rendHELL (Posts: 304; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
no... i was trying to edit it... but the iMAC that i borrowed from my friend is not working that well because it's apple... good thing i have a SG s2... hehehe...
13. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
LOL Thank you ted, I don't know if anyone else realized you're being sarcastic but I loved every second of it.
22. VZWuser76 (Posts: 896; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
As far as most of the apple fans are concerned, apple is owed everything from everyone. While they have come up with somethings, it's starting to sound like the "Al Gore invented the internet" sometimes.
29. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
sorry for a thumb down. +1 for you mate. really awesome..!!!
11. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1437; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Oh Apple is playing again, this time with price
15. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You don't think it's odd that every Apple article is full of the same group bashing?
19. rendHELL (Posts: 304; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
hey... im not part of the group... Y_Y
23. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
I starting to see a lot of similarities from North Korea and Apple. Both blatantly lie to their "people" and deny all allegations, and fail at doing the stuff they are know for (NK for missiles, Apple for phones)
28. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I buy quite a bit on AMAZON as it is usually cheaper than most websites and stores....but not always.