Apple might turn the iPhone into an answering machine, a recent patent suggests
What does this mean, exactly? Simply put, it's an answering machine for your iPhone. Just as the conventional answering machines for landline phones, Apple's audio call screening system allows you to listen to a voicemail message while the caller is leaving it. If you decide that the call is important, you can answer the phone, thus cancelling the further recording of the given voice message. Of course, you can allow the caller to leave his voice message.
It seems that this call screening system creates a conference call between the caller, the voicemail server, and the telephone terminal. Apple's newly-obtained patent states that "the telephone terminal is equipped to open only the speaker channel for monitroing the message and will provide a fully bi-directional connection using a microphone channel".
This patent was one of the roughly 6,000 patents that Nortel, a network equipment manufacturer, sold to Rockstar, a consortium between Apple, Microsoft, Sony, ant others. After Nortel went bankrupt back in 2011, it sold this plethora of patents to Rockstar for some $4.5 billion.
Only time will reveal if this audio call screening system will make its way to the next iPhone. What are your thoughts on the matter?
US Patent No.8,666,034 images
source: USPTO via AppleInsider
1. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4165; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Interesting idea. $5 says Sammy comes in and copies the idea.
4. darkkjedii (Posts: 12619; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Myx behave bro lol. Good one though, I won't refute it.
11. Finalflash (Posts: 1903; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Of course, have to expect Samsung to copy the iPhone 6s' primary feature eventually.
14. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4165; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Of course, they've already copied the trio of colors release with the new band aid S5.
19. Mr.Verizon (Posts: 23; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
Pretty sure 4 color's is more than "Trio" and lets not get started on that fact that nobody's phones are actually "gold". Champagne iphones, rose gold and copper samsungs all look like s**t. If its supposed to be gold, i expect to see my reflection like i would in a solid gold brick.
16. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4165; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
*puts on shades*
But I make it look good
17. darkkjedii (Posts: 12619; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yes the s5 bandaid is definitely apple inspired
7. MEeee (Posts: 284; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Do you like the Android Toggles on your iDevices?
9. bakogeek (Posts: 4; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Google Voice already has Call Screening. support.google.com/voice/answer/115083?hl=en
15. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4165; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Googe Voice is an application. Not a very working one but an application nonetheless.
23. a_tumiwa (Posts: 301; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
so u mean Apple copy the application made by Google and put it as bloatware?
10. MEeee (Posts: 284; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Stole others ideas and claimed as original. Only iGnorants would believe them.
20. garyII (Posts: 160; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
but if Sammy pays to use this feature in the future, it won't called as copy...
2. GeekMovement (Posts: 1521; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Sounds pretty cool. Would like to see this coming in the near future.
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 12619; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That would be sweet, I could play major jokes on my wife with that feature.
5. suburbansoljah4209 (Posts: 5; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Isn't there a feature like that already built into Google Voice?
8. AJmeBOY (Posts: 30; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
I agree. Isn't this similar, if not identical, features that GV already offers? Is this going to be ANOTHER silly Apple lawsuit?
18. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
It's going to be very difficult for Apple to pull that one off given that their phone's have massive technical issues with Incoming Voice Calls as it is. I guess there's no harm in iFantasizing.
21. garyII (Posts: 160; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
i have never used voice call before...lol...whenever the voice inside the phonecall appear, i will straight bang my finger right into the red virtual button...haha
25. triproc.my (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Mar 2014)
custom iphone case in triproc.hk triproc.com