ZTE Sonata 3 User Reviews Back

dishe posted on Aug 23, 2017, 12:11 PM
Posts: 1; Member since: Nov 15, 2011

Bottom of the barrel for cheap phones.

dishe has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I know this is already an older handset, but I saw this phone got only one review here from someone who gave it a 10, and I feel like I need to set the record straight. My experience with this device has been the EXACT OPPOSITE.

I'm no stranger to cheap phones. I've used the freebies from Samsung and LG that you get with sign ups, and usually found them "good enough" for most basic usage. I figured why would ZTE's low end be any worse?
Boy was I wrong. The screen is the WORST display I've seen on a device in at least a decade. Being neither an IPS nor Amoled, the screen has a ridiculously narrow viewing angle. That is, unless you are holding the phone at EXACTLY the right angle, the contrast and colors are shifted and/or inverted. Its so narrow, in fact, than in landscape mode sometimes one eye sees a different contrast than the other, which can give you a royal headache if staring for prolonged amounts of time. I mean, we're talking throwback to the days of the Palm Pilot displays with their narrow viewing angles.
The cheap/free phones from other manufacturers do not have this problem. The build quality in general is actually pretty bad IMO. Its uncomfortable to hold (longer than it should be), and the screen to body ratio is so bad, its in fact larger physically that phones with bigger screens are. Funny because I like smaller phones, so one of the reasons I opted for this over another model is because I figured the 5" display would make this a smaller phone. Turns out its...

Horrible and lazy build quality. Bigger than phones with larger screens (but without the larger screen to make it worthwhile), and awkwardly long making it uncomfortable to hold in a way that people can hear the mic.
Reception is fine. Nothing special, but it has the cricket bands so that's good.
Awful, going back to the build quality, you have to hold the phone in a specific way for the mic to pick you up well enough. Most callers said they couldn't hear me unless I brought the mic closer to my mouth, and the speaker wasn't that loud.
Worked well enough. Again, nothing special.
Worst screen since the Palm Pilot days, before the era of IPS and AMOLED, screen is washed out and often has such narrow viewing angle that EACH EYE sees a different level of contrast.
Not the worst camera in a cheap phone, but close to bottom of the barrel. Other cheap/free phones had better color and general image quality, so its not even good for the price.
OK most of the time, but often choked due to the limited ram and would need a moment to catch up.
Every day I used this thing I would proclaim that I needed a new phone as soon as I could afford one. Hated it.
Installed Swiftkey, same as any other device.
THE WOOOOOOORRRRSSST!
ok. At least it was removable. Wish that was more common.

Pros

• So cheap you don't care if you break it.

Cons

Revd.b. posted on Nov 29, 2016, 3:53 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 29, 2016

great battery life

Revd.b. has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

great battery, storage limited, fast 4glte, quadcore, good with games, great price, size is good for easy handleing ,an extra good value for the money! cricket service is outstanding! much better than my old htc desire 510 !

Pros

• batery life
  • quadcore processor
  • 5" display
  • deezer installed
  • dolby sound
  • dragon tail glass
  • price $ 29.00 at cricket

Cons

• storage
  • can't move games to sd card