Samsung Galaxy S5 Active User Reviews

ChiefCass posted on Nov 27, 2015, 9:30 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 27, 2015

Best So Far

ChiefCass has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Best phone I've used so far... Does everything better than my last phone which was pretty good for nearly 3 years (Nexus 4). This phone fits my specific needs very well. I drive a truck and do delivery work. This phone is my Audiobook entertainment, Google Maps navigator, Link to my home office texting machine, Customer contact phone (Bluetooth : LG T-One) and I'm not afraid of dropping it or pulling it out in the rain. A touchscreen that works when wet is a big big boon as is a camera that shoots excellent documentation pictures in nearly any light condition.
My complaints are very minor:
-Power-on with home button. I carry phone in cargo pocket in my uniform pants and flexing my leg pushes the Home button sometimes. Without a pattern lock enabled I wind up "butt dialing" all sorts of stuff. I've yet to find a way to disable this without rooting. (This is the first phone I have NOT rooted: I don't own it, yet...)
-Bloatware: Samsung has a few useful enhancements - maybe 5% of the Gig they add to the OS. AT&T has NONE that I would ever use since EVERYTHING they offer is done better by applications on the Play store. That's the bad. The good is that you can "Disable" most of this crap and let the phone run a bit faster and longer on a charge. The bad is that you can't remove them without rooting (see above).
This has been a GREAT phone for me over the last 13 months and I consider myself a "power user" fairly savvy about Android and the millions of things we can do with these...

Snap-on back cover doesn't reassure me on amount of waterproofing. Haven't dunked the phone yet... we'll see.
Gets signal in the woods around my home - a dead zone for ALL other phones I've owned.
Excellent when talking to another late model Samsung phone on the same network (VoLTE?) Otherwise average.
Very fast and able to render most anything smoothly. Very occaisional music skip with low battery / power save running.
Best I've used on a cell phone. Period. Takes EXCELLENT shots (I'm an amateur)
Samsung bloatware seems to slow screen transitions until you disable most of them (at least that's an option!)
Fits my lifestyle and work needs. Rugged is Good when you are truck driver / delivery person.
Crappy Samsung keyboard. Replaced with Swiftkey and all better now.
Best display in a rugged phone I've found. Super bright all the way down to night vision preserving levels.
Very good for my use-case with max 12-18 hours between charges. NOT a 2 day phone but excellent for what it does. Besides, you can carry a spare!

Pros

• Just about everything about the phone is great.
  • Display is excellent
  • Loud speaker
  • Touchscreen operates when wet
  • Good button placement (user defined quick button is Excellent)

Cons

• Home button wakes phone
  • Slippery without a case - needs at least a rubber bumper or you WILL drop it
  • Carrier dependant updates...

pjluvssj posted on Jun 10, 2015, 9:36 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jun 10, 2015

Favorite Andriod to date

pjluvssj has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Great Phone. The camera is amazing. We have been on multiple trips, and my wife is a photographer. She has gotten frustrated because sometimes my shots are as good as her DLSR. Can't wait for the S6 active later this week with the bigger battery.

I have dropped this phone many times. I do not use a case. No broken screen so far.
Battery is good, just not great

• Ruggedness

Cons

• Battery life will always be a con for me, but not a bad battery per se

denny34 posted on Jan 09, 2015, 10:36 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jan 09, 2015

samsung galaxy s5 active

denny34 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

glass broke after the slippery design slid out of my lap and broke the supposedly more durable glass. I think I was sold a line of bull. it only fell two feet and landed on a corner. when I called AT&T to complain. they told me it would be a $200 deductible to fix. I am military and was sold on the durability and it didn't even last a month.

Pros

• Great interface and software.

Cons

• not durable as advertised.