Nokia Lumia Icon User Reviews

Dadler22 posted on May 02, 2014, 9:39 PM
Posts: 242; Member since: Dec 11, 2008

All camera, no smarts

Dadler22 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Thank god I purchased this phone on Verizon Edge. Those without the money to purchase a new phone after a few months of suffrage should just avoid windows phone all together. Unfortunately for Nokia build quality can only take a phone so far...

Internet explorer struggles to open most web pages, back key always creates problems, no alternatives
No Spotify, only app that works is XBOX music, which is pathetic
Low light settings are great for taking pictures other phones cant. However, photos don't look as great on the computer as they did on the phone screen
UI works quickly, sadly its not capable of doing much.
Works great for phone calls, text messages, and emails. No app support means the rest of my tasks have to just be foregone.
keyboard is responsive, but
definitely one of the best displays to date
Lasts over a day, but less than two under heavy usage

• Dedicated Shutter Key

Cons

• Windows Phone
  • Microsoft
  • App store
  • SnapChat is pathetic

Dadler22 alternatives:

drone031693 posted on Dec 06, 2015, 3:55 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Aug 24, 2014

Have owned this phone for over a year... I do not plan on getting a replacement for at least one more year.

drone031693 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Feels good in the hand. Denim is a great skin to have over the Windows Phone 8.1 Interface. Camera is good enough for even some professional shots, but still no longer the best on the market. Waiting for Windows Phone 10...
Windows has come a long way. There are probably a small percentage of people out there that cannot do everything that they need to do on apps available on the Windows Store. However, good news is that Windows Phone 10 is promising more apps being brought over from Android. My suggestion is, if you have never used a Windows phone before, it is very simple to use and you should give it a try if you are in the market for a new phone. See what the return policy is wherever you are looking to purchase a phone. There is a chance that you can try one out for a 14 days to a month and then return it (if you do not like it) for a very small fee. You can also buy something like the LG Lancet for pretty cheap. It won't be the best Windows Phone Experience, but it'll give you a good feel for what it's like. If you like the experience, but not the LG Lancet, you can then buy a better Window's Phone, such as the Lumia Icon, and keep the Lancet as a backup in case you ever break your daily phone.

Not a fantastic phone to use on speaker phone.
Typical drawbacks of Windows Phones. You can only use Internet Explorer, no Adblock feature. However the data saving feature, and reading mode is really nice!
Not as diverse as Android, however I been able to find work-arounds for any media that I want to run on it, and it runs smoothly.
Near perfect. Why no 4k video recording or slow-motion recording?
Lumia has put some small tweaks on the UI, this is called Lumia Denim. It is 100% smooth and adds tremendous value to the UI.
You have one keyboard that Microsoft lets you use. It is a great keyboard, however it lacks some shortcuts and customization.
Very sharp screen. There are no pixels that are visible to the human eye. The colors are not over-saturated, however they are not 100% accurate either. Good news is that you will never notice this unless you place the phone side by side with a phone that has a much better screen.
Gets me through a full day with moderate usage. I usually play a lot of music off of my phone and check facebook about once every hour. If I were to use my phone for lots of video playback or anything else abnormal for myself, I will need to recharge before I get home for the day. Once I actually was going on a small road trip for a couple days, and I forgot my charger. With light usage I was able to get over 2 full days of use out of this phone.

• User Interface (Denim)
  • Physical Camera Button
  • Great Feel in the Hand

Cons

• No expandable storage
  • No removable battery
  • Slightly Chunky
  • Expensive

drone031693 alternatives:

liverdonor posted on Jun 19, 2015, 7:36 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jun 19, 2015

Second Nokia Windows Phone - Still lovin' it.

liverdonor has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

The title says most of it.

This is my second windows phone. When I first got it I put it through its paces while I could still return it (VZN gives you a 30-day period in which if you're deeply unsatisfied, you can return the phone). I took pictures in bright sunlight and movies in the dark. I recorded outdoor concerts and used the speakerphone from a moving train. I did just about everything I could to test the phone, and my conclusion: with one notable exception, I like it even better than my earlier 822 (which I had for two years prior).

The phone looks cool. It's still small enough to hold, but has a bright, easily-viewable full-HD display. The camera is simply awesome - one of only 3 phones on the market with a backside-illuminated sensor, and the 4-mic audio pickup is quite amazing, especially at concerts or outdoor events.

In short, this is a brilliant phone with very few drawbacks (which I'll mention, below).

Pros

• Camera (awesome)
  • Audio, especially 4-mic recording and the 7-band equalizer.
  • Call quality and the RF section. This phone hangs on to the channel by its bloody fingernails. Very impressive for a smartphone - most of them suck when compared to feature phones.
  • Hey Cortana! 'Nuff said. Makes Siri look dumb by comparison.
  • It's not an iPhone, nor Android.
  • Several decent FLAC and OGG players are available. Tried all the ones available on my Android tablet, none of them come close to the two I've used on the Icon.
  • Very fast response times. Even going out to the web for things is faster than my Android tablet and my kid's Android-based phone.
  • Oh, and BTW - It's not as much of an

Cons

• OLED display doesn't allow "Glance" feature, which worked great on my old Lumia 822. This is really annoying.
  • Battery life. I'm sure you've heard this before. Take an external recharge battery and a car charger with you on trips, you'll need them.
  • It might be too big for people with small hands; my wife has trouble using it.
  • Lack of SD card. I liked having that on my old 822.
  • Did I mention the battery life? ;-(

Belle posted on Jun 09, 2014, 10:56 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Oct 30, 2012

Longtime Android User Says HELLO to Windows Phone 8.1 - and GLAD HE DID

Belle has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

My first smartphone was an Android, and I've been hooked on google since. I have a chromebook, nexus 7, iPad, and always had an Android phone... until now. Even with the new KitKat update, I was still experiencing lag when unlocking my phone, opening the app drawer, opening the gallery, making a call, hanging up on a call, opening messaging, etc. After 6 years of android, I was starting to get tired of it and started to explore my options.

iPhone option: I know that iOS is stable with no lag (I have an iPad), but it is so much more boring than android (no widgets, lack of customization, etc.).

Blackberry option. Laugh and move on.

Android option. Galaxy S5 almost got me to bite. Great device, but looks ugly, and I know that after a year, it will be lagging just as bad as my current android phone because its packed with 9239848 features that I will never use.

Windows option: Nokia Lumia Icon - Played around with windows phone 8 and got depressed... it sucked. Thought I was going to be forced to chose between iPhone 5S and Galaxy S5 for features and functionality. Then I read about WP 8.1 - and REALLY glad that I did. Basically WP 8.1 is like iOS and Android had a baby. It has the stability of iOS, the customization of Android, with the capability of Microsoft Office when you need it. The app gap is largely a joke now. Yes WP is behind, but it has all the apps that I need, every single one. Bought the Icon and haven't looked back! There isn't a single app or feature...

Exceptional fit and finish - metal trim, poly carb back, and curved glass front give it a premium feel in the hand.
Better than my previous Motorola's and Samsung's.
Better than my previous Motorola's and Samsung's.
Love the reader mode on IE 11 that allows me to set background to dark with white text, and automatically trims out all the ads for distraction free reading.
Admittedly limited use, but currently has met all my needs.
20 megapixel camera is incredible for a smartphone! Replaces point and shoot cameras! REAL Optical Image Stabilization (not the software gimmick "stabilization" on iPhone 5S and Galaxy S5), Lossless zoom for great image quality when cropping shots. Audio quality from 4 mic setup is incredible.
NO LAG!!! This is what had been driving me crazy with android! Everything you do is silky smooth, with no jitters or delay.
May be a bit large for some people, but I'm 6'2" so it fits perfectly in my hand.
Excellent keyboard! Swype when you need it, or power text when you don't. Keyboard has excellent speed and responsiveness with lots of great smart features.
441 ppi with true blacks on a bright indoor/outdoor display with curved glass edges make it look phenomenal. Nothing else out there like it!
The one weakness of the phone. When other top android phones are getting 7 hour run down times, I was expecting more than the 5 hour iPhone time that I was getting.

Pros

• Camera is flat out beastly
  • 4 mic video recording sounds better than anything else out there
  • Smooth OS with no lags
  • Unique look and feel (hardware and OS)

Cons

• Battery lasts all-day, but still wish it was bigger

atomicinternet posted on Mar 31, 2014, 3:49 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Mar 31, 2014

Powerful with great camera

atomicinternet has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Despite losing my Xenon flash from the Lumia 928 I upgraded from, this camera more than makes up for it with the higher resolution and decent LED flash. The aluminum band around the edge gives it a high quality build feel and the phone itself is solid physically and operationally.

Feels solid
No issues with reception anywhere
no issues with call quality
Browser is fast and reliable
Has all my media apps, stores enough MP3s for me.
Wish it had a Xenon flash, otherwise perfect.
I've yet to own a Windows Phone that didn't have a lightning fast UI
Keyboard rocks
Amazing in and out of sunlight
2340 mAh is a big battery, but with a screen this size it should be bigger.

Pros

• Great camera
  • Fast UI
  • Reliable

Cons

• Battery could be bigger

gahess1 posted on Mar 27, 2014, 8:59 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Mar 27, 2014

Best Windows phone yet

gahess1 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I've had two iphones, an android, and three windows phones. This is the best of the bunch. So fast/responsive, the camera is amazing, battery great. All the apps I need are available now. Overall great phone!

Pros

• Display, Speed, Camera, Battery

Cons

• Larger than iphone

tommybayshore posted on Mar 07, 2014, 8:26 PM
Posts: 1; Member since: Mar 07, 2014

Ehhh... I think not...

tommybayshore has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've always had the latest and greatest phones, recently i damaged my Note 3 and decided to give the shiny cool Nokia Lumia Icon a try... i must admit, in the store and just playing around with it for a few minutes it seemed great, even going home and reading numerous reviews made me think this may be a really awesome phone...so i went and bought it! And quickly returned it...here is why...

The live tiles are cool and i could get used to them, but thats about it. The lack of apps in the app store was really rough, and they popular apps that are in the store are outdated looking and remind of the how bad Facebook looked on the BlackBerry Bold. The "People" section was just a complete mess, updates from LinkedIN, Facebook, this, that, everywhere... most from sources i could completely care less about, even when i unchecked the sources they still managed to come back. Then when you click on a update you don't know if you're going to Linkedin, Facebook, Google etc... just shows you a picture with a bunch of comments.

The email formatting was also a mess, you have to click "show pictures" on EACH email, there is no default setting to make this happen for every email. I get a ton of emails and its annoying to have to click "show pictures" in every email.

The battery was not that great either. I had it fully charged at 7AM, left for the day, was on WIFI almost all day and by 4PM i had 28% battery left.

The call quality was great, that i did like, but i use my phone for so...

• Vivid Display
  • Speakerphone
  • NFC

• Apps (or lack of)

fandows posted on Mar 07, 2014, 6:41 PM
Posts: 1; Member since: Feb 28, 2014

Great phone you should consider it.

fandows has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I love this phone. If anyone is a Verizon customer and is looking for a new phone this one will not disappoint. And until march 16 if you order this phone from a Microsoft store you will get a free Nokia wireless charger. I've wanted this phone since it started leaking back in November. The cons of this phone are rather unimportant though.

Pros

• 1080p 5 inch amoled screen 441ppi
  • 20 megapixel camera with dual flash and 2 'megapixel front camera
  • Built in wireless charging(not included)
  • 4 Microphones for optimal sound recording
  • Windows phone 8 and Nokia black but that's just my opinion
  • Snapdragon 800 processor 2.2 ghz
  • Support for ac wifi which is rather new and yes it has 5ghz wifi
  • Quick access to camera button
  • Comes with full Microsoft office for windows phone 8
  • Built in fm radio which is cool
  • A lot of hany widgets such as alarms are pre installed
  • Easy access SIM card

Cons

• Camera does not have 4k recording
  • No micro sd expansion slot
  • For some reason the battery is terrible I can't figure out why but I think it's a software problem
  • Not waterproof
  • Processor is not 64 bit which was something I really wanted
  • Micro USB 2.0 not 3.0

fandows alternatives:

utg001 posted on Mar 30, 2014, 11:24 AM

Best

utg001 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Its a great phone if you can get through the day with a full charge. I didn't much like the shape of it, but the pros outweigh the cons.
currently the best Windows Phone out!
I presume with the Windows Phone 8.1 around the corner, the battery issue might be resolved along with some minor bugs when music files duplicate.

too boxy, but still Nokia
What you should expect from a great flagship
What you should expect from a great flagship
Larger screen is a plus
great handling of multimedia although adding files can be troublesome sometimes
HAAC audio is awesome for videos
snappy!
it gets things done faster than many others
WP keyboard is large and so useful
AMOLED screen <3
Could be better

Pros

• AMOLED screen
  • HAAC audio
  • big camera
  • Big internals

• No sd card