Motorola DROID Turbo 2 User Reviews

9.5

PSAfromThisGuy posted on Jan 17, 2017, 11:46 AM
Posts: 145; Member since: Jan 16, 2017

My Turbo 2 Experience

PSAfromThisGuy has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Overall I have always had a Motorola. Well, my first smartphone was actually a Blackberry Storm (Storm 2 after doing an insurance claim). Motorola has always been much more reliable and durable from my experience. I have been working in the cellphone industry for 7 years now and Motorola's always seem to hold up longer and withstand a pretty decent beating. I started with the Droid X, then Droid Razr MAXX, Droid MAXX, now the Turbo 2. Waiting for the next big thing to come, after the Z Force of course.

see notations under Cons
I'm on verizon
HD voice
I know people with iPhone's that need to charge at least once throughout the day. I usually never have to until bedtime.
Google keyboard has been doing some dumb auto corrects lately.
great PPI, smooth graphics
when I first got the phone it would last 2 days. now, just 1. but 1 day is better than a half a day or worse. lol

Pros

• love the front facing flash. definitely get some great selfies under any lighting condition.
  • Rear camera is great during the day time.
  • battery lasts me about a day with typical usage including apps that utilize a decent amount of battery for GPS.
  • shatterproof display

Cons

• wish the camera was better at night like the GS7's
  • the speaker (not earpiece) is definitely downgraded from the previous motorola that i owned.
  • display not scratch proof or burn proof... lol (yes, i burned mine in a fire on accident)
  • the backing is coming off
  • charging port has needed repair twice now

PSAfromThisGuy alternatives:

manzer posted on Nov 19, 2015, 10:25 PM
Posts: 57; Member since: Apr 05, 2014

Another Great Phone

manzer has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I was very happy with the Motorola Droid Turbo last year. The battery life and the quick charge was amazing. This time around I'm still very impressed. The screen is what amazes me. More true to a sheet of paper, wider screen not taller like iphone. My wife has the iPhone 6s plus and they share the same width but hers is 3/4 of an inch taller. The phone is fast. And the biggest reason to stick with Motorola is the ecosystem. No push to touch, I hate home buttons. I use trusted Bluetooth for security. Simple twist to torn the camera on. Two motions to turn on the flashlight. Camera is improved. I picked up the 32gb version because it has a SD card slot for extra memory. I'm sold. Did I mention, no physical home button to turn it on. And keep your fingerprint scanner, they all lag.

Imagine stabilizer should be added
True 24 hour would be nice

Taahir posted on Aug 30, 2017, 9:59 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Oct 21, 2013

A high end specifications phone with affordable price.

Taahir has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Ive used it for almost a year, there was no any drawback or deficiency i found. A high end specifications phone with a really affordable price. Nice built, easy use, A very good reception. Now im deciding to revert back to gForce though i still have a very high end android of a very much renowd company but im not satisfied with it.

Built quality is good but screen to body ratio can be improved further.

Pros

• Handy
  • High end specifications
  • Affordable price

Cons

No Cons

RubyNinja posted on Feb 23, 2017, 1:42 PM
Posts: 2; Member since: Jul 22, 2014

Motorola Droid Turbo 2

RubyNinja has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have always enjoyed using Motorola Droid phones, my first smartphone was a Droid Mini, and the Turbo 2 is no exception when it comes to quality. It has proven to be a reliable utility that I use everyday.The UI is smooth, and it almost never staggers or freezes, probably due to its 3 GB of RAM and clean android interface. Some might complain about the lack of features. But for a person who just wants his phone to WORK, and not have to worry about bugs and such, it makes an incredible smartphone. The Aluminum frame makes the phone feel sturdy. Since the phone has the Snapdragon 810, it tends to overheat slightly when taxed with heavy graphics, or heavy internet usage. However, the heat never seems to be at a dangerous level, and it never is too heated to hold in the hand. I would recommend this phone to people who put reliability and long lasting hardware, high on their priority list.

Pros

• UI is not buggy, very smooth to operate.
  • Beautiful AMOLED screen.
  • Flashlight is very bright.
  • 3GB RAM
  • Near stock android.
  • Metal frame.
  • Reliablity

Cons

• Camera could be better.
  • Large bezels.
  • No fingerprint scanner.
  • Overheats slightly when CPU is heavily taxed.

krzyaz posted on Nov 27, 2016, 4:32 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 27, 2016

Another Average phone from Moto

krzyaz has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I've had the phone for 9 months. In the past, I've owned the Razr, OG Droid, Droid X, and Bionic. After the Bionic, i swore off Moto. Due to availability and time pressure, I ended up with a Droid Turbo 2. I've lived with it, worked with it, etc. It is another average performer from Moto. The voice recognition is pretty good and defaults to a google search when it doesn't know what you are asking. The screen is plenty bright. The device is fast enough for productivity. The camera resolution was played up and resulted in average quality images. The unbreakable screen is indeed unbreakable, but scratches too easily. This is another example of an average device that Moto has left behind as their loss leader while trying to push out the next gimmick (modular design?). Sure, the 'pure' android experience is there but there's just nothing.... special about this flagship. I'm paying this one off and going back to my previous brand.

Either i have a speaker out or they only included one speaker.
I can't say I've had good or bad experience with call quality on this phone. I can hear people and they can hear me.
This depends largely on your connection and i suppose it is fast enough and comfortable enough.
Having slots for two speakers but only a right speaker available seems kind of deceiving. The result is some awesome mono audio.
High megapixels does not make a quality image. The images are OK, but not stunning.
I'm considering 7 to be average. The only thing special (to me) about this phone is the fact that I cannot break the screen. Usability is fine and notifications are fine.
After a certain size phone, they become unusable in one hand.
The display is clear and crisp but scratches very easily.
Gets me through the day with over 50% remaining.

Pros

• Unbreakable screen
  • Long battery life

Cons

• Screen scratches
  • Another vanilla experience from Motorola

Wolfgang posted on Mar 25, 2016, 11:57 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Aug 24, 2012

Impressive Phone All-around

Wolfgang has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I was deeply committed to my Kyocera Brigadier for over three years until finally deciding I need to catch up with the latest developments in the Android OS. That said, I also wanted a device that was at least as somewhat durable in comparison Brigadier.

What sold me on the Droid Turbo 2 is the shatter proof screen and Kevlar backing. Without a case, this phone is perfectly capable of withstanding a good drop or three.

As far as the specs go, this device is truly a powerhouse. To state a few examples; Handles multitasking with ease; bright screen that is perfect for outside use; phenomenal camera quality; built-in wireless charging capabilities; large battery capacity.

My only qualm with this phone is the 4G LTE radio. It's a Cat4 which provides maximum speeds of 150/50 Mbit/s. Nearly all other phones in the same price range have double the speed LTE Advanced Cat6 300/50 Mbits/s.This really doesn't make a difference unless you live in a major city, though. LTE Advanced is really only available in large urban areas.

Overall, this is a great phone and I highly recommend to those curious.

Pros

• 36 hour battery life with often usage
  • Shatterproof Screen
  • Fast. Very fast.
  • 21 MP Camera
  • 4K Resolution
  • Built-in Wireless Charging

Cons

• Extremely bright screen
  • LTE is Cat4, not Cat6.

mvanorder posted on Jan 29, 2016, 8:24 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jan 29, 2016

Motorola's headed the right direction with their new phones

mvanorder has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Overall the Droid Turbo 2 is a great phone. I like what Motorola did with the plastic screen and the turbo charger creating a shatter proof screen and being able to charge the phone faster than ever while still doing it safely and not overcharging. I can't wait to get the Marshmallow update, and see what CyanogenMod or AOKP can do with it.

The plastic edge isn't the sturdiest frame, but overall it's not bad and can take some abuse.
Being a Verizon phone it's already on a great network. But I've never had any issues with reception unless I was in BFE where there was no service anyway.
Call quality is clear all the time unless I'm on 1x Signal. I never have issues with muffled or quiet calls.
Internet speeds almost always are much faster than the broadband WiFi at home, work or on a public hot spot.
Videos/Music play crystal clear with no lag whatsoever.
The camera is great quality and takes 21MP, but it lacks some extra features or fast focusing that the Galaxy phones have. Also it only shoots in high resolution mode.
The UI is almost always fast, but starts to lag when you're running several apps. However it never hangs up, only a slightly noticeable lag.
This is a great every day phone. I've overloaded it with all my favorite apps and then some. It seems to be able to take anything I throw at it sofar.
The swype keyboard that comes with the phone has some new features like predicting the rest of the swyped word. However, most of the time it doesn't allow you to add a word to the dictionary, and it's not smart about email addresses, domain names, etc. It keeps adding spaces after words in domains or @ or "." in an email address. Also it's no longer possible to swype ".com".
The display is extremely high resolution with great color and contrast making everything very easy to see.
For being a dual quad core phone with 3GB of memory and all the bells and whistles the battery life is really pretty good. It may take a very long time to fully charge on a regular charger, but can fully charge from 0% in about 1 hour on it's turbo charger.

Pros

• Plastic screen won't shatter
  • Can really do a lot, and has the battery life to keep up
  • Turbo charge
  • MicroSD slot

Cons

• Plastic screen is soft and can dent
  • Plastic edge will chip and break away from the screen if dropped hard enough
  • Light sensor doesn't ever dim or brighten the screen enough

mvanorder alternatives:

pbike908 posted on Jan 20, 2016, 11:22 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jan 20, 2016

Fast phone and great battery

pbike908 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Fast phone! Some of the Moto actions are nice such as moto display, proximity smart lock and location smart lock, but can be cumbersome to unlock due to lack of finger print reader, awkward power button, and no double tap.

Great battery and turbo charging is nice.

Cumbersome integration of dialer and contact manager -- workable but if I was a heavy phone user opposed to app user I would find it annoying.

Decent phone but not worth $625. I wouldn't rate it as good as flagships from other vendors -- not even close!!!

Worried the dreaded green line may show at anytime...
Not as good as my Iphone 5
Not even close to rival flagship cameras
Scratches too easily if no screen protector. the whole idea of a shatter proof display is to use it without protection or a case. Worried green line may appear at any time.

Pros

• Battery life, fast charging
  • smaller than many tablets
  • Quick and responsive

Cons

• display scartches too easy
  • clumsy too unlock -- no fingerprint or double tap
  • not even close to flagship camera

InvaderExx posted on Dec 22, 2015, 5:16 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Dec 22, 2015

Great, well built, highly-spec'd device.

InvaderExx has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

After reading a lot of reviews and researching this device, I decided to give the Droid Turbo 2 a chance. Coming from a Nokia Lumia Icon running Windows 10, I wanted a good camera and a solidly built device that could survive a fall. Everything about this phone screams high quality. I got the gray kevlar back, it feels good in the hand although it is a tad bit too smooth, but nothing that'll make me drop the device if I were laying down. The screen is great, large, bright and vibrant and you couldn't expect more from such a high resolution AMOLED screen. I even purposely dropped the device face down onto a ceramic tile floor from about 4 feet and the device and screen withstood the drop and didn't have a scratch, ding or scuff on it. I've seen a lot of people complain about the bloatware Verizon puts on the device, but to me it was not even a huge deal, it takes less than 5 minutes to disable and hide the apps so it's not a huge deal. And in reality it was only like 4 apps that I can remember that were Verizon branded. It's been a long time since I've been on an Android device, and so far I'm really happy with the device and the OS. It does everything I need effectively and efficiently (for the most part, coming from Windows 10 and BlackBerry 10 before that, I miss the true multitasking capabilities of BB10). The last major thing I'd like to mention is the camera. It's a 21 megapixel camera. It works well in normally lit areas, but in night time, it's not so amazing. My Lumia...

Feels solid, perfect weight, fits well in the hand.
Amazing, clear call quality with and without earphones.
Chrome is fast, fluid and the UI is simple and easy to use.
Videos play flawlessly and music can be accessed using a Microsoft Band 2 which is a nice surprise.
Takes images nearly instantly, they come our really clear and the colors are fairly close to actual colors. Video recording and playback is also fantastic.
With the specs stuffed inside this device, the UI is expected to run smoothly, and yes, it does. I've experienced no lag at all so far.
Does everything I need it to and has all available apps I need.
Text input is impressive and very well at predicting and fixing errors I make. Also the swiping is very well developed and works 99% of the time.
The display amazing, bright, vibrant, crisp and clear.
The battery life is supposed to last up to 48 hours, however for me, it lasts about a day before needing to recharge. It may be because I've been using it a lot, updating and testing things out that the battery hasn't lasted as long as advertised, but the fact remains it hasn't lasted two days just yet.

Pros

• Great build quality
  • Good call quality
  • Amazing camera
  • Has micro SD card slot

Cons

• Battery hasn't lasted as long as advertised

Lavden posted on Dec 09, 2015, 2:30 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Dec 09, 2015

Sweet Jesus Motorola has done it again

Lavden has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Honestly the fact that I'm writing a review should say a lot, hell I made an accoun just to write this. If you get this phone you won't regret it. It's wicked fast, and the battery life is awesome! The one downside is that it's a little bigger than most phones I've had and my hands are on the smaller side. However the dimple on the back, combined with plastic or rubber grip makes the big phone fit in your hand nicely. It feels tough, and the plastic screen is harder to scratch than you'd think. It is scratchable, but you'd have to have your keys in the same pocket as your phone, and then run a mile. All in all, AMAZING phone. Motorola knows what they're doing.

I threw this phone at drywall. The phone deffinately won. Now there is a hole to patch up. By far the most durable phone I've seen, and I've owned a Casio GzOne Commando.
Deadzones in small towns (towns with a population of less than 5000) In bigger cities the reception is amazing. This also depends on carrier, and I think the Droid Turbo 2 is Verizon only.
Crystal clear, depending on what phone the otherperson has.
I don't need a bluetooth speaker anymore if that tells you anything. Sounds great and can get pretty loud if you're in a somewhat quiet room
Takes amazing pictures and can record in 4K. The one downside is that you have to keep a steady hand when taking pictures.
Really snappy. Lags a tiny bit in a game like Hearthstone but that's to be expecting. To be clear it occosainally lags for less than a second when you attack, It's not that noticable. Other than that, absolutely no lag.
You can do anything on this phone, and the voice commands help, I use them a few times everyday.
No cons.
Pretty.
Chargest super fast with turbo charge. The battery will last you atleast 36 hours or more, depending on use.

Pros

No Pros

Cons

• Some apps (a select few) don't work with this phone yet. Although that's to be expected with new phones.
  • Loads of bloatware and preinstalled apps, however I had all of it disabled within 10 minutes of having the phone activated.

ricardoheinze posted on Dec 01, 2015, 11:50 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Dec 01, 2015

Great phone!

ricardoheinze has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

If you are looking for a durable phone with an all day battery you should consider this phone. The extra $$ is worth the shatterproof screen and huge battery.
Not for you if you want a thin light phone that you can easily handle with one hand.

Pros

• Customized design
  • Large battery
  • shatterproof
  • memory slot

Cons

• Not as thin or light as other devices.

andthereyouare posted on Dec 01, 2015, 1:02 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Dec 01, 2015

Came from the Motorola Maxx HD

andthereyouare has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I am a Motorola loyal, just always like the brand. My last phone(Razr Maxx HD) was great; but, I wanted a new one with a faster connection to the web. This one delivers. It is bigger, yet still fits in my front pocket(although I wished it was the same size as the first turbo). The screen is shatterproof so I see on youtube; but, I can tell you it scratches very easily which is a bummer in my mind. I opted for a case, which sucks cause now you can't see the phone. I also opted for the 32gb size and simple added a 64gb card. Battery is similar to my old phone, which was great. And this new turbo charger is awesome.

The glass scratches easily.
The camera is good, it's not like show stopping or anything.

Pros

• Fast
  • Easy to type

Cons

• Wished it was smaller
  • Screen scratches easy

rickstheman posted on Nov 19, 2015, 8:34 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jul 16, 2014

Nothing Better For My Money

rickstheman has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

If you look at what a lot of people say they want in a smartphone, you will find that the Turbo 2 is ranks number one or near the top in every category. I did a lot of research on this purchase and right now there is nothing else available that I would want. The new Google Apps (Marshmallow) are available now for Lollipop and I dare say that a lot of you are like me, and really cannot say what you will be able to do differently with Android 6.0. The phone is lightning fast and has all sorts of cool features I thought I might miss the "finger print sensor" for unlocking the phone; but the phone never locks as long as it is in my pocket or in my hand. Checkout this phone for yourself and you will be glad that you did

Solid build, not heavy and has a comfortable feel in your hand.
Reception is great, even in locations where I had problems with other phones
Calls are clear. Earpiece is loud
Wifi and 4G are solid connections
Very responsive
Easy to used
Great and usually suggests the right word
Deep rich color and looks good
Batter life and Turbo charge, two grand slams for Motorola. Battery life is great and when you do need to recharge it does not take long at all

Pros

• Moto Maker, Battery, Shatterproof Display, Wireless Charging (Qi and PMA),

Cons

• "Droid" notification .wav is gone

cdono1stunna posted on Nov 19, 2015, 9:16 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Nov 18, 2015

Beast Mode

cdono1stunna has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

You can't deny the options and specs on this phone, it blows away the Iphone 6S. It is fast, good battery, good build, and looks good. I am not sure what more you could ask for. You need to give this phone a look if you are in the market for a new one!

First shatterproof screen, ballistic nylon backing.
Super fast
No problems
Front camera now has a 5 MP camera and a flash!
Fast processor
User friendly
Looks great
Very solid, almost 2 days worth

Pros

• Wireless charging
  • Shatterproof screen
  • You can customize (Motomaker)
  • Turbo charge