Motorola DROID BIONIC User Reviews

8.5
8.9

shnibz posted on May 23, 2012, 12:26 AM
Posts: 510; Member since: Sep 18, 2011

its really growing on me!...and i came from a galaxy nexus

shnibz has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Very nice under appreciated phone. I won this from PhoneArena (thanks guys) and decided to try it since my Galaxy Nexus is a little to big for comfort, and to flimsy for my job and although I miss the 720p screen and some ICS fea tures , i physically MUCH prefer the Bionic and its a really nice phone that has grown on me quickly... if it gets ICS soon i may never switch back to the Nexus.

Very nice build quality... but not great, definitely better than my Gnex though
No problems at all so far
Loud and clear
Very fast!....just miss the Google Chrome browser fron Nexus
Slow slow slow! And bad quality
As good as i have experienced on android
Solid all around phone, good size which makes it easy to hold and operate with one hand
Very good for a non keyboard phone
The Nexus 720p spoiled me...makes the Bionics displayed look kinda fuzzy
Smaller than the 2150 mah battery i purchased for Nexus but it actually lasts longer!

Pros

• perfect size
  • nice build quality compared to samsungs
  • fast
  • gorilla glass
  • speakers sound great!
  • 4g

Cons

• camera is pretty crappy and slow

albdatman posted on Apr 19, 2012, 1:20 AM
Posts: 7; Member since: Jan 07, 2012

FINALLY GOT THIS PHONE! ITS A MONSTER!!!

albdatman has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

At the time of writing this review i have had this phone for about 2 weeks and feel i have learned everything there is to know about this phone. It has really opened my eyes to what a smartphone can and should be. Here we go!

I like the feel of it and its fits excellent in my big hands!!
I have had no problems with reception thus far!
Amazing quality with every call. Verizon is very good with that.
Using the internet on this phone is a breeze. 4g lte connectivity make it soooooooo freaking awesome!!
So far the multimedia functions of this phone is awesome!
1080p video, 8mp camera. flawless
EVERYTHING about this phone is fast including the UI speed.
It does everything asked of it and daily tasks are a breeze.
The text input on this phone is the best i've seen for a smartphone.
the display is nothing short of amazing.
battery drains a little quick in everyday usage but for me it was marginal because i really only use it for talking and a few apps here and there but constant use with this phone or with any smartphone will nuke your battery.

CellieCell posted on Jan 21, 2012, 2:51 AM
Posts: 151; Member since: Apr 14, 2010

great phone, on par with all other lte vzw phones.

CellieCell has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

if i didn't have a smartphone, i'd upgrade to this one over any other LTE device, period. Because theres really nothing much your gainning from G_NEX or droid razr/maxx for my everyday usage and the price is excellent! and by the time i'm qualified 20 months later there will be improvements on new phones and quad phones with updated features. The best part of this phone is expandable battery/removable battery. i've gotten an average of 18-21 hours by turnning off sync mode when i don't need it. on my days off i use the phone more and got an average of 12-16 hours plus i have a spare battery.

one minor thing is, it's not super lcd or amoled, but not a deal breaker. thanks for reading ^_^

LTE with dual processor, no comparison!
with 1gb of ram and all of motorolas built in multimedia apps, this phone really pushes the envelope!
dual processor and 1gb ram for the extra umph!

Pros

• FAST
  • LOTS OF MEMORY
  • SCREEN SIZE
  • SPEAKER
  • VIDEO
  • CAMERA
  • DUAL PROCESSOR
  • LTE
  • REMOVABLE BATTERY

Cons

• screen display is ok

bolaG posted on Oct 05, 2011, 6:17 PM
Posts: 468; Member since: Aug 15, 2011

Solid Moto

bolaG has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've only owned the phone for a week but already have a good feel as to what is good and bad about it. The build is great. Feels smooth to hold, its light, and personally I like the appearance. The call quality is great. Moto knows how to make a good solid phone when it comes to signal strength/radio. The dual core is awesome. Fastest phone I've used so far. LTE is out of this world. Very Very fast internet speeds I can actually stream flash videos like I do with my laptop which is insane. Camera is definitely sub par. It is slow to activate and the quality of the photos aren't as good as some other phones i.e Mytouch 4g, Iphone, etc. Battery life is normal, last a full day usage with moderate use, but will have to recharge if using allot of gaming, video, and music.The only other down fall of this monster is the screen. Coming from the original droid the screen had much better pixilation than on the bionic so I was a little surprised/disappointed at that. None the less, the Bionic is still a great phone and I recommend it to anyone looking for a great LTE device on Verizon

Pros

• LTE
  • UI speed
  • Build

BarneyDroid posted on Sep 20, 2011, 3:44 PM
Posts: 35; Member since: Sep 01, 2011

Top of the line!

BarneyDroid has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is CRAZY fast!!!! It is here to compete with any smartphone. Android/Motorola/Google/Verizon are doing things right in this bundle. The Dual Core Processor makes multi tasking quick. I was always irritated with other phones that couldn't process as fast as I can and would press the worng button. The display looks great! The Camera is a little sluggish in the auto focus. The battery life is eaten up pretty quick. If I turn off 4G, I can run all day on it (Moderate-Heavy use). I love the ability to move files around without having to use computer. Call quality is excellent. 4G LTE is amazigly fast! Great Phone and would recommend it to anyone.

Sturdy feel in your hand.
0 dropped calls
Crystal Clear Voice
LTE enough said
Great Gallery/ File storage
Slow on auto focus/ Great quality
No lag between Touches
Very Practical
Swipe/ or regular input
its no SUPER AMOLED but it is a brilliant display
If you constantly use 4G needs bigger battery

Pros

• Dual Core
  • 4G LTE
  • UI
  • OS (Android 2.3)
  • WebTop Experience

iKingTrust posted on Sep 20, 2011, 11:57 AM
Posts: 716; Member since: Jul 27, 2011

Cool phone forced to use it for work

iKingTrust has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Its a cool phone. I would not normally use a droid phone. Its a smart phone i mean they are all the same for the most part. The iPhone is my personal phone and it will always be. Also the bionic is not the best looking phone. I find it to be ugly for lack of better words. The camera is not the fastest either. I really dont notice the dual core processor in comparison to the iPhone 4.

Not a very attractive design
Not the greatest quality and slow to focus
Not very competitive Dont like the UI set up
It's a Droid

Pros

• fast UI speed
  • Clear call quality

Cons

• Camera slow to focus
  • Camera quality, par
  • Display is not impressive
  • Battery but you already know that
  • Buzzing noise from phones audio
  • Ugly phone

iKingTrust alternatives:

thunderklees posted on May 06, 2012, 10:45 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: May 06, 2012

It's great....when it works

thunderklees has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I purchased this phone a little over a month ago from Radio Shack. My previous phone was the Droid 2 and I was waiting a long time for a new phone. I finally decided on the bionic for 2 main reasons. The larger screen and the 4g service. I purchased one for myself and one for my girlfriend.

The first few days I was very happy. The 4g is incredibly fast. Netflix streams awesome and is a great time killer. Youtube videos are in HD and the picture is great. The larger screen is much easier to view than my old Droid 2. One of the apps that come preloaded is Zumocast. I saw some reviews and decided to try it. Very cool. You can access your home computer files including pictures and itunes from your phone. Very cool. The phone seems very snappy changing from app to app and different screens.

Soon after using it a few days I noticed it would switch from 4g to 3g frequently and then to no data. I would use airplane mode or restart the phone and data would start again. It was a little annoying at first. After a few weeks of the problem I called verizon and a tech said he had never heard of the problem but ran a few tests and decided to send me a new phone. Now After one week with the new phone I am having more problems than ever. I have googled this and see this is a very big problem in different areas.

I realize this is a newer item and sometimes there are bugs but after shelling out hundreds of dollars on new phones and over a month of glitchy data service I am very upset. I am paying...

Drops data
slow focus. Bad pictures
No data. bad battery.
Pretty good. Sometimes I hit the wrong key or the wrong word is entered.
Nice screen. large. bright
Battery is dead by noon with average use.

Pros

• big screen

Cons

• no data
  • battery dead by noon

Mobil2012 posted on Jan 07, 2012, 7:52 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jan 07, 2012

so so phone and over rated

Mobil2012 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone is so so. The phone kept on locking up for no reason. The camera on this phone is a joke! HD movie recorder is no good, at the end of recording it will pause twice before ends. During play back on HD movie the picture will jerk twice before it finishes. Come on moto! This is the best you can do? Where's the software update to fix the camera? HD movie recording should have pause feature like the Droid charge does. Samsung droid charge will do 5.1 digital surround sound. With droid charge, you can direct a movie because of pause feature. Headphone jack is cheap and is not too good, will make static noise sometimes.

Camera quality is really bad for today's standard.
battery life is ok for phone calls only but for multimedia the battery will only last few hours.

Pros

• 4G LTE with dual core

Cons

• Bad camera quality

weddman2 posted on Jan 01, 2012, 7:29 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jun 26, 2011

Droid Bionic

weddman2 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Over all I love the phone, video quality is very good, but Samsung has better display. It can handle Netflix and Slingbox. Used as a tether for 2 months for my tablet, except for draining the battery before your eyes, got good internet connection. Reccomend a second battery. The OS doesn't seem to like Electronic Arts software. Lots of storage space and RAM. Want a do everything phone this is it.

Pros

• Overall excellent phone

Cons

• Camera quality needs improvement

cobbcruiser posted on Dec 29, 2011, 8:02 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Dec 29, 2011

Disappointed

cobbcruiser has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I agree with secsis - I don't understand why the 3G and 4G data capability 'cut out constantly even when the phone has full reception and is sitting still'. I've had the SIM card replaced, have had the handset replaced, and have gone through several sessions with customer and Tech support. I also haven't had this happen on other phones including other LTE phones: Samsung Charge and LG Revolution.

I use my phone for work and need to receive time-sensitive emails, and when the data reception goes out I don't receive those emails. I can't rely on this phone. I've had it since it came out and was hoping this was the phone for me, but am disappointed by it's constant drop of 3G and 4G. I'm skeptical of the Razr because of this since it's likely a Motorola issue. I've been a loyal VZW customer for many, many years now and have 5 phones, so I'm thinking I will have some pull about being dissatisfied with this phone - hoping to be able to exchange for another device and will likely go for the HTC Rezound. Other than this, it's a great phone!

Pro's: Gorilla glass, solid feel, fast phone. Con's: constantly drops data: 4G, 3G, 1X; earpiece sound is too low.
Phone reception is good, but data is horrible - constantly drops any data: 4G, 3G, and 1X.
Constantly drops data.
Like the
With latest software update it is much faster than before. Picture Quality is fair.
Excellent response time. Occasionally gets hung up between 2 apps.
I use it for work and can't rely on the data for urgent, real-time emails and other apps.
Great - love the Swipe
Display is great - there is either pixilation or lots of granularity especially when moving the text or picture in the display.
What do you expect with 4G. But probably best battery out there on a 4G device.

Pros

• Fast phone - but data cuts out

Cons

• Data cuts out constantly making it unusable for my usage needs

cobbcruiser alternatives:

ckdb4 posted on Oct 27, 2011, 9:10 AM
Posts: 2; Member since: Oct 27, 2011

Best so far

ckdb4 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

The Droid Bionic is hands down the best phone I have owned. Battery life is better than most, Pentile screen is not noticable 95% of the time. Moto's new blur is pretty good. The phone is FAST, period! It runs android better than anything I have seen. Slam Dunk MOTO! But, it is having an issue switching from wifi to 3g, Annoying but I have been in the cellular business long enough to know an OTA from moto will correct this issue.

Solid, sharp looking phone
Gets two more bars than my iPhone in my house

Pros

• FAST ui
  • FAST internet
  • Crystal clear video
  • Great reception
  • Better Battery than my iPhone 4

Cons

• wifi to 3g issue
  • camera is grainy

secsis posted on Oct 17, 2011, 10:02 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Oct 17, 2011

Had Higher Expectations

secsis has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I don't know what the deal is with this phone. Internet 3G and 4G cut out constantly even when the phone has full reception and is sitting still. I never had that problem with my Evo, Evo3d, or EPIC. I loved those phones but started to hate sprint. their 4g implementation is horrible, LTE is definitely the way to go.

I do like it overall but am still getting used to not having a side slider (hw keyboard).

Battery life is horrible. ordered the extended life battery we'll see if i can get more than 10 hours out of that one with average use. The display is very good. In my opinion it is brighter, produces more accurate color, and of course is higher resolution than my Epic 4G. The touch screen is very sensitive, and not calibrated properly i haven't looked to see if i can fix this yet.

The locked boot loader is a big bummer for me. With the EPIC switching kernels, rom's etc was soooo much easier. There is currently only 1 aftermarket rom for the Bionic.

Performance is not on par with other dual core phones of the same generation either. The EVO 3d feels faster, and the Galaxy S II Epic 4g Touch is insanely faster than this phone, not to mention much lighter than the Bionic.

If Motorola and Verizon provide good support for the phone it could be a winner by the time it is worthless.

4G Lte is insanely fast
8MP? 1080P? i don't think so.... Get Camera 360 Ultimate.
Using Launcher Pro which increased snappiness.
Very poor battery life 10 hours tops with minimal usage, you almost have to have a back up or extended life battery to have a good experience for 1 day.

Pros

• Good Performance
  • Good Build Quality
  • Screen is great
  • Speaker?
  • 4G LTE insanely fast

Cons

• expected better performance. Similar to Galaxy S II phones
  • Boot Screen (i hate the eyeball)
  • Locked Boot Loader
  • Camera (download camera 360 ultimate)

katwink posted on Oct 16, 2011, 9:13 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Apr 26, 2011

Someone must be getting paid

katwink has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have owned the eris, incredible, droid x, droid x2, iphone 3gs iphone 4 i presently own the Bionic and Iphone 4S .Okay how does this phone get a 9, this phone is so sensitive it's ridiculous. You have to load 1 app at a time , because even Verizon says it themselves , it may cause the phone to act up and you have to test the app and make sure it will work. If I download netflix I loose my ability to connect to the Internet. Loading a picture on face book takes too long even on 4g. I have the extended battery and the battery life SUCKS , I have all the settings tweaked correctly and I cant get more than 3 hours of video playback , if I talk , text and use Internet a reasonable amount I will not get a true full day, which to me should be from 7:30 am to 5:30pm iPhone gives me 10 hours of video playback. even if I want to listen to an audio teaching which is one of the reasons i have the Bionic , the battery life sucks it's audio it's not using Display. (Some websites I listen too do not play on iPhone because of format , but the main ones do.) Just because a phone has an open market and you can rearrange your icons does not make it a good phone. The only people who must like this phone are people who know how to root there phone or people who can program, or people who don't really know they just got the phone because there kids told them and they want to look cool, but they use the phone to talk , text maybe email and an occasional YouTube video of course they are going to...

Your battery life is the most shameful pitiful battery life, and I'm sick of people lying saying its good it SUCKS.

Pros

• Reception, calls , speaker

Cons

• Unstable , how does it rip through apps when you hardly can load any , because too many and the phone freaks , battery battery battery.

robert7107 posted on Oct 05, 2011, 10:52 PM
Posts: 1; Member since: Oct 03, 2011

the phone verizon customers have been waiting for!!!!

robert7107 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

On the phone very easy to use. The battery seems to be fine for me I'm not getting a major drain on it I keep it out a 4g for the most part. going to complain to have about the phone are the battery cover which seems they coulda put more thought into it and where they put the sd card. I think this is the best phone on the market today better than the iphone and better then the galaxy s 2 by far

where they put the sd memory card is kinda awkward to get in n out

Phone seems well put together.
I live in the hills and reception from time to time can be a little spotty but with this phone I get good reception at least 2bars.
Calls going both ways crystal clear
The browser is a dream super easy to use

Pros

• super fast browser
  • speaker
  • features
  • screen resolution

dirtyfharry posted on Sep 30, 2011, 6:35 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 30, 2011

bionic

dirtyfharry has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Switched from samsung charge to Bionic what a great choice everything about the Bionic is better Verizon and motorola got it right great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros

Cons

• Is this a joke?

jezzyjezz posted on Sep 28, 2011, 12:15 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 28, 2011

bionic

jezzyjezz has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Good phone, fast, but battery doesn't last all day. But batter is a huge difference than the htc incredible droid, that one wouldn't make it past 3pm. This phone is easy to use and love how fast it is.

devoid99 posted on Sep 21, 2011, 12:55 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 21, 2011

Good idea, but poor execution

devoid99 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Just returned the phone. There were a lot of good about it, but too many issues. Trouble switching between 3G and 4G. Poor battery life. Bad screen. Powering on when you want it off. Terrible whine when using headphones.

Felt great in the hand and looks really nice.
Great 3G reception, 4G really hit or miss
Clear
Fast when using 4G and decent on 3G
Video playback good, but audio playback is poor with a terrible whining sound.
Works well, but poor battery life makes it hard to use all day long
Pixelated
4G and wifi suck the battery.

Pros

• Fast and stylish

Cons

• Poor Battery
  • Audio whine
  • Mysterious reboots and start-ups

wumza posted on Sep 20, 2011, 5:38 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 20, 2011

powerful phone

wumza has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

My experience so far with the Droid Bionic has been very positive, and I have very little complaints. Naturally, battery life could be a little better, but I wasn't expecting anything great. The camera was also a little lacking, but still great for a phone. More detail of my review included below.

Overall, great design and great feel. My only gripe is the tiny crevice between the screen and the phone's casing that seems like it'd be a good dust collector.
No problem picking up signal, also stayed on 4G the entire time i was in a 4G area.
GREAT call quality on both ends.
no problems.
Great video and great sound quality coming through the speakers for nearly everything except the Netflix app, but I'm pretty sure that's Netflix's problem (clicking noise coming from speaker on every video). Otherwise, works beautifully with all other media.
I've read almost the same thing on every review, the focusing kinda sucks. video quality is superb, and so is the camera when you get it in the right light.
Crazy fast, everything I'd hoped for. Dual core 1ghz processors + 4G makes it almost unfair to compare it to any other phone on the market.
All the phone's features and applications work well and are quite intuitive. The thing I've always loved about Android phones is that if you don't like something about the phone you can change it, but I haven't had to change much about this phone.
I've never been a fan of Swype, and I miss the Android keyboard I had on my incredible where most of the symbols were accessible from the main keyboard by pressing and holding the letter it was on. But again, with Android phones, if you don't like something you can change it, and I found a keyboard app that works for me.
Still getting used to such a large display, but I do love it. Also, it's not terrible in direct sunlight.
lol, android battery life. still, the beefed up battery in this phone does help. i get about 10 hrs a day out of it so far, mind you that it is a new toy for me still and i'm playing around with it alot. For those who NEED long battery life, i suggest a spare battery or an extended one. Or just charge it a lot.

beankebob posted on Sep 16, 2011, 2:40 PM
Posts: 3; Member since: Aug 01, 2011

Love the Bionic - sort of...

beankebob has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Love the phone. Very fast. Nice display. GPS picks up super fast. New gallery is a lot more functional. Haven't used the LTE (not in my area). I may return this phone for one reason - the memory card issues I have. I can't move programs to the external microsd card, all the moving programs want to move programs to the internal media area. When I power down the phone and reboot, I lose programs that made it to the external card, and have to reinstall them. This is a royal pain in the butt, and may cause me to return the phone. I probably should examine the camera a little closer, as everyone is complaining about it. I've only taken a few pics and haven't paid close attention. Did I mention this thing is fast? Boy, I'd hate to have to return this.

Not a great improvement over the Droid X, but a little nicer.
I've been pounding this battery since I bought the phone, so it's hard to get a good idea of how it will perform in regular daily use. I think it's pretty darn good, though.

Pros

• Speed, speed, speed

Cons

• External and Internal memory card issues.
  • Camera, maybe?

RodThaBod posted on Sep 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
Posts: 4; Member since: Oct 24, 2010

Great phone , pretty much what I expected.

RodThaBod has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I am not going to get on here and praise HTC or Apple , I don't work for them. I am going to talk about the Bionic. I like everything about this phone. It is really fast. The stock camera has a problem with out of focus sometimes. I use another camera app and the pictures are great considering it is a phone. The battery works pretty good considering most smart phones. All and all , it was worth the wait. 4GLTE network is FAST!!!!!!!! I would recomend this phone to all of my friends.

Stock camera is terrible. Stays out of focus and you get about 20% of your pictures. Download Camera 360 Ultimate and it works great.

Pros

• Almost everything

Cons

• Camera has a problem with focus. Takes a little bit for auto focus to get the green light.