x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA

Camera9.8/10
Multimedia9.6/10
Internet9.7/10

IronTech
posted on 11 Oct 2016, 20:32 (Posts: 111; Member since: 27 May 2016)

Better than most flagships on the market

IronTech has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Jump from the G3 to G5, and I can tell nothing disappointing but its battery life. This is something I've complained 3 years ago, but it seems LG keep ignoring this feedback. However, all other aspects are satisfying me. Definitely.

Pros

• Performance
  • Light weight
  • Its main camera beats SG S7.
  • QHD Screen

Cons

• LG battery disappoints me every year

PHYCLOPSH
posted on 10 Aug 2016, 16:18 (Posts: 543; Member since: 28 Jun 2014)

Great replacement for the LG G3

PHYCLOPSH has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

It is a great phone for everyday use. It is fast, very elegant with the right case, and the cameras and display are amazing. Time will tell how it holds up, but for the time being I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade from an older model.

Build quality 8/10 The build is good. Only minor issues like very small chin gap and the painted finish may scratch more easily than I'd like.
Reception 9/10 Reception seems good, similar to my G3
Camera 10/10 Main camera detail and color is superb and the wide angle camera is a wonderful bonus!
UI speed 9/10 UI speed is about the same as my G3 running CM13 (which is simply amazing); CyanogenMod is light-years ahead of LG's take on Android so I would say it's rather excellent.
Everyday usage 9/10 It is a very good phone, the battery life could be better, but it works very good for just about everything I need.
Display 9/10 The screen is very nice. Color is very accurate and the contrast is high. The outdoor mode is crazy bright. Only issue is very minor light leakage at the seams of the screen. But otherwise an excellent display.
Battery 8/10 The battery could be bigger. But it is pretty acceptable battery life considering the size of it.

Pros

• Excellent display
  • Wide angle camera
  • Finger print scanner
  • Blazing performance

• Minor light leakage
  • Build quality could be revisited

ram_qashow
posted on 25 Jun 2016, 02:16 (Posts: 6; Member since: 18 Nov 2014)

PERFECT

ram_qashow has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i've been using the G5 for two weeks now, i have not faced any issues what so ever the phone is blazing fast camera is spectacular the display is a beauty the interface is well designed amazingly, gaming is fascinating and the battery is surprisingly excellent, and beside the incredible specs this phone has the thing

tabber
posted on 20 May 2016, 04:48 (Posts: 6; Member since: 20 May 2016)

An excellent phone, with many unique features

tabber has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

If you were put off this phone by some reviews, go and try one for real, its an excellent phone. Hiding the antennae bands give it a really clean look, and although some early reviewers got questionable units, the build quality of a good one is solid. Wide angle camera, removable battery, IR blaster and FM radio are all USPs compared to most flagships. The modularity wont be used by most, but good to know it's there if someone comes out with a killer module in the future.

Build quality 9/10 It feels solidly built, great in the hand. Some early units seem to have quality control issues, hopefully LG resolved these.
Call quality 10/10 Very clear calls, noticeably better than any phone i've had before
Camera 10/10 You will use the wide angle camera more than your realise. Auto switching between the lenses even during video is really clever. Picture quality excellent, and very rich camera UI.
UI speed 10/10 Seriously snappy, never any stutter or lag, no matter what you do.
Everyday usage 9/10 Out all day with heavy use and no spare battery, you might start to worry.
Display 9/10 Beautiful display, but I wish auto brightness would use the slider to calibrate how bright you want it. It cranks to 100% in sunlight a lot of the time, which cant help battery
Battery 8/10 Its excellent when you aren't taxing the SD820, but gaming really drains it. Worst case is 2.5-3 hours SoT if you do. Mixed use its a lot higher.

Pros

• Feels super smooth, very fast
  • Wide angle camera, with auto switching
  • Removable battery
  • IR blaster & FM radio
  • Very fast fingerprint sensor
  • Great display
  • No bloat, minimal UI skin

Cons

• Average battery life if gaming
  • Auto-brightness cant be calibrated
  • Will probably scuff easily without a case

Heisen8erg
posted on 12 May 2016, 10:50 (Posts: 28; Member since: 16 Mar 2016)

Not Bad!

Heisen8erg has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

hi. i had this phone for a week and i was passionate at the first but g5 disappointed me! this phone is really capable and good in many ways but if you want the best its not! go looking for something else. since g2 i was loved the bazels and lg design but this year they completely destroyed anything and made a really ugly phone! what is wrong with you lg?! i don't need a disaster battery life with removable slot! i don't need a metal phone when you cant make a good one and so good at making plastic phones! its too damn big to be a 5.3 inch phone especially for a lg phone! AOD is very wired! what is up with this?! i can barely sea in the low light in the light its like there is nothing an the screen! they proud of this and saying only 1% in hour!! i think its difficult to use more than 1% with this brightness! well done lg!! the modular design its a new thing and its not complete. it would be nice to have it but not costing you a annoying battery life and low screen to body ratio! in many ways you simply can go wrong with this phone. its a cheap and easy buy but definitely nothing near to best. i really cant give this phone anything more than 8! its a nice phone with smooth ui and wonderful camera. that's all!

for alternative phones, i cant compare this with htc 10 & s7, s7 edge or iphone 6s & 6s plus. lg g5 not belong to their class!

Build quality 7/10 build quality is good! but there is no design section. so i give a 9 for build quality & 5 for design. realy unappealing! i will tell you more in review text. overall 7.
Call quality 9/10 very good.
Internet 9/10 i feel its not stable! sometimes blaizing throgh pages sometimes pain in the a**! its good again but not great at all!
Multimedia 9/10 8.5 would be better point.
Camera 10/10 awesome! i really fell in love with wide angle. and the quality of the pictures are great! best thing about this phone is the camera like last year. i don't know this is better or s7. both have the best cameras in my opinion and both have some advantages over each other.
UI speed 10/10 second good thing about this phone. not only best UI lg ever made but one of the fastest i have ever seen in any android smartphone! absolutely flawless!
Everyday usage 8/10 its not my thing and disipoiting battery. so...
Display 8/10 its just galaxy devices so fucking good in multimedia and display even the older ones are in the top of the best. i cant blame other company's for display!! and i don't know why but i think g4s display was better than this. its a very good one but not like g4.
Battery 6/10 i really hate lg! every year i hope for a better battery life but they come with the worst lg g line! wtf?! i loved g4 i didn't by that because of of battery and here we go. what are they doing since g2?! you cant handle qhd please don't go big! not deserve to even compare with s7 edge!

Pros

• fast
  • exellent camera

Cons

• battery life is awful
  • ugly!
  • very low screen to body ratio.
  • always on display! are you kidding me?!

Heisen8erg alternatives:

jzammit
posted on 01 Aug 2017, 12:50 (Posts: 0; Member since: 01 Aug 2017)

GPS issues and LG Staff issues galore

jzammit has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have had the G5 since August 15th 2017 and hd the phone sent out for repair twice and it replaced once so far to fix the GPS issue everyone complains about.
When new, the GPS works perfectly, but after a few weeks of use the GPS will start having some connection issues and will eventually have connection to 0 satellite connection according to the app "GPS Status".
LG is very frustrating to deal with through their Chat service as well as some staff are very rude in the "internal team".

Other than the GPS issue, the phone is pretty good. Camera, screen and performance is good. The call quality is pretty shoddy sometimes though.

Pros

• Screen, Camera, performance, decent battery life

Cons

• GPS
  • GPS
  • GPS
  • GPS
  • LG staff

TaK_Tran
posted on 27 Mar 2017, 01:20 (Posts: 4; Member since: 25 Aug 2016)

A quite under-rated phone

TaK_Tran has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

A good phone killed by bias opinions of those who haven't even owned it.

For its current price, it's a real bargain phone.

Camera is great, LG UI is quick (better than Samsung Touch Wiz). It's not a elegant and beautiful at first look, but put it in a nice case and it's all set.

Pros

• Quick phone
  • Really good camera
  • 4gb Ram
  • Removable battery
  • IR Blaster
  • Just right screen size for a daily phone

Cons

• Battery is not very good
  • The build is not very good

vmagaldi
posted on 12 Sep 2016, 18:10 (Posts: 0; Member since: 12 Sep 2016)

lg g5 rs988

vmagaldi has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I had this US factory unlocked phone for less than a month my carrier is metropcs, basically t-mobile, and I noticed that the wi-fi calling, that is really important to me, wasn't active, long story short I called both costumer cares, lg and metropcs, and even though lg ensured me that the phone was VoiLTE capable, only after that in front of me the metropcs tech support corporate called lg they told them that is not activated from lg because is not branded.
You do not buy a regular lg g5 unlocked but an under powered version.
Misleading approach, lg promised that when they will have a patch they are going to send me over the release. when? I will never know.
BTW this is the third lg that I have a problem with (g2, g4, and g5), maybe the reliability is a problem.

Reception 8/10 no wi-fi calling
Call quality 9/10 no wi- fi calling
Everyday usage 8/10 no wi- fi calling available

Pros

• nice and light
  • processor works fine in multitasking, even with 2 gps app on and fb video call

Cons

• no wi-fi activable

Gerharddutoit101
posted on 07 Sep 2016, 05:46 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Sep 2016)

G%

Gerharddutoit101 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have been a big Apple fan for a very long time now. I decided to move to a bit of a cheaper phone for other resons. I was at first not very trusting in my move back to android as I had a horrbile experince a few years back with my first android after. After having this phone for a few weeks it has impressed me every day more and more. The speed of the UI I personally love the way it looks and love the always on feature it really works well. I love the camera and it as really impressed me so far. I have heard android do slow after time but only time will tell. So far I really love this phone well done LG!

indygo
posted on 31 Jul 2016, 16:03 (Posts: 0; Member since: 31 Jul 2016)

Great phone - stop moaning!

indygo has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Every youtube comparison, every article always had something against G5. Even though on the paper G5 looks at least equally good as Samsung or Apple - if not better! It has the best front facing camera but in reviews you can read stuff like:

"For selfies, it’s not a great phone. It took washed-out photos which were soft at the edges. Like the HTC, it reverses the image so it’s as if you’re looking in a mirror.
Overall, the G5 is a decent choice for photography, if not so much for selfies. It’s the only phone to offer a built-in wide-angle camera, but it’s a shame that LG didn’t make it waterproof like the Galaxy S7 so you could really take advantage of those cameras in all conditions."

I really didn't understand it at that point. How the best front facing camera on the market (8 mmpx) can have washed out photos? My selfies are super sharp.

Luckily I have decided to go with it anyway and it was worth it. I guess all this negative approach in many reviews on the web is maybe sponsored by other companies?
I heard about problems with quality of the product (bubbles on edges on at&t carrier in USA), I heard about phone getting super hot when using both cameras, I heard about problems with software update and so on. All of this is not true. My g5 has no defects, it has latest android and it's not getting hot while using wide angle. It's getting warm when I play football manager though - like any other phone would.

Wide angle camera is amazing - main reason why I bought this...

Build quality 10/10 Looks perfect, in contrary to some of the claims about quality of the build quality
Reception 10/10 It has the best specs out there
Call quality 10/10 Loud and clear - most important thing.
Internet 10/10 No issues whatsoever - and I'm using 3g.
Multimedia 9/10 I had issues with adding music to it but I figured it out.
Camera 10/10 The best camera out there! wide angle is amazing.
UI speed 10/10 It's super fast - it has the best chipset out there!
Everyday usage 10/10 Nothing to complain about yet!
Text input 10/10 Option with adjusting keyboard size is great - I have big fingers and it was always a problem
Display 10/10 Sharp and bright - I love auto brightness setting.
Battery 7/10 Ok, batter could have a bit better capacity but we have at least option to replace battery anytime we want. I bought extra battery with docking to it - suits me well.

• Chipset
  • On display clock
  • Front camera
  • Software

Cons

• Battery capacity should be bigger
  • Distribution in Europe is poor

JohnSP
posted on 03 Jul 2016, 01:36 (Posts: 0; Member since: 03 Jul 2016)

LG All The Way

JohnSP has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

As someone who has owned Samsung & Nexus phones I was skeptical about the new LG G5 but I must say I am not regretting at all the switch, LG really went all in on this phone, there is a few things that they could have added but like all phones they all are missing something. It is blazing fast and I have had no issues at all with it, all my games play flawlessly.

ZeroCool
posted on 03 Jul 2016, 01:31 (Posts: 0; Member since: 03 Jul 2016)

LG Always Has Great Products

ZeroCool has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

My new G5 is breathtaking, I have had so many friends compliment me on it and want one of there own. LG took a big step with the G5 adding the modular design but I think its great, I cannot wait to see what some of these new modules will be. I spend most of my time taking pictures as it has an amazing camera, if you looking for a new top tier phone then the LG G5 is it

Display 10/10 Superior quality and sharp colors and pictures.

Pros

• Battery is removeable
  • Add on modules
  • IPS display
  • Aluminum body

Cons

• Display should have been bigger 5.5 or 5.7
  • To small of a battery

Crash27
posted on 03 Jul 2016, 01:23 (Posts: 0; Member since: 03 Jul 2016)

Amazing Quality & Performance

Crash27 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I absolutely love my new G5, I spent hours reading reviews and I was torn between the S7 Edge and the G5 and I went with it as I owned the LG G3 & LG G4 and they were amazing phones. Like any new devices there is always going to be pros & cons between them but I personally did not really like the curved display on the S7 Edge, I found it akward as I am used to watching flat displays but some may like it. But the G5 has been amazing so far.

Build quality 10/10 Aluminum body, great feeling in hand and looks sharp
Reception 10/10 VOLT makes call crystal clear
Camera 10/10 Loving the dual cameras, especially the wide angle lens
UI speed 10/10 Quick and responsive, no lagging at all.
Everyday usage 10/10 This phone is great for everyday use, I take it everywhere I go.
Text input 10/10 I do a lot of texting and its smooth and quick
Display 10/10 LG have always had great displays, the IPS Quantum display looks amazing
Battery 10/10 Long battery life, I charge it every night after all day of use

Pros

• Expandable Storage
  • Fingerprint Scanner
  • Quantum Display
  • Removeable Battery
  • Module Add Ons
  • Dual Cameras
  • Performance
  • IR Blaster

Cons

• Lack Of Quality Tempered Glass Protectors
  • Battery Could Be Bigger

Crash27 alternatives:

czuck1983
posted on 29 May 2016, 12:38 (Posts: 0; Member since: 29 May 2016)

Best phone on the market

czuck1983 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have been a devoted Samsung user for several years, working in the wireless industry, I've been able to upgrade yearly and have had every Galaxy from the S2 through the S6. This year, I decided to jump ship and move to the LG G5 and it is the best phone I have ever used. Ever since Samsung sold out and removed the replaceable battery, many people I know have lost faith in the company. LG has taken the reigns and proved that you can make an awesome looking device, without removing the features that make it special. The camera is amazing, as opposed to the downgraded garbage on the new S7, the battery lasts longer then any device I've had since my blackberry pearl in 2011, and its just an overall great looking phone. Thank you LG for renewing my faith in the future of mobile.

Pros

• Fast charge
  • Amazing camera

integrazimmy
posted on 01 May 2016, 19:19 (Posts: 5; Member since: 30 May 2015)

Great Phone, Extremely Practical for Power Users!!!

integrazimmy has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Many people had mixed feelings about this phone from the moment pictures started to show up on the internet. I only have one thing to say... The phone is GREAT!!! I've owned my G5 since March 29th, and I love it!!! The raw processing power is felt through the fluid operation of the phone. The display is EXTREMELY bright. I don't know why ppl say it's not. The built in feature where the phone increases its brightness in outdoor sunny situations is GREAT!!! I'll go outside and step into the light, and for about a second, the display seems dim, but after that second, it becomes the easiest display to read in, direct sunlight!!! The calls are loud and clear. Reception is GREAT everywhere I go, and the bottom mounted loud speaker is the loudest of any phone I've ever had. The camera is FAST with its laser auto focus, and I have to refute the fact that Sammy supposedly has a better camera in their S7 & S7 edge. I think this is the best one. I've seen plenty of pictures. Specially the low light ones. I've noticed a lot of ppl complain about the fish eye on the wide angle shots. I've noticed it, but when shooting wide angle, it gets yippy the shot that you otherwise wouldn't have. For what it's worth, you may be able to edit the photo afterwards. The UI is better than previous iterations. The 4G LTE support is the best I've worked with, and the system memory is great at keeping my 25 open windows open without crashing or having to reload. I'm a power user and unlike many ppl here that...

Pros

• Extremely fast UI
  • Great Camera
  • Long Lasting Battery
  • Removable Battery
  • Very Bright Display, easy to read in direct sunlight
  • Very loud speaker
  • Great reception
  • Great RAM Management
  • Extremely fast fingerprint reader
  • Insanely fast charging

Cons

• Text swiping misses every now and then,
  • Modular design not perfect, but not terrible

Dev.sailu
posted on 30 Apr 2016, 12:48 (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Apr 2016)

Lg g5

Dev.sailu has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Its a good phone overall. Camera is really good and innovative. I love the wide angle with secondary camera. Not happy with battery life but fortunately we can replace it display is okay not very impressive it looks little greenish. Not fan of its sound quality.

Pros

• A very good camera
  • Removable battery

Cons

• Design and build quality not impressive
  • Battery life is average

GingaNinja0913
posted on 29 Apr 2016, 15:52 (Posts: 3; Member since: 29 Apr 2016)

LG Excels In Aspects, is Subpar in Others

GingaNinja0913 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Design:

Reception/Call Quality:
The reception on this phone is not perfect, but is on par with all of the other phones released in 2016 so far.I make a lot of phone calls, and I have never had a complaint from either end of the phone line: I hear the other person clearly and the other person hears me clearly without disturbances even when walking down a busy street of Wisconsin's capitol. Having the loudest loudspeaker on the market also aids in calls made on speaker phone.

Camera:
The phone's three separate cameras have some of the best features available today -- wideangle view, reproduces true colors (doesn't oversaturate), laser autofocus is incredibly fast, the HDR of the phone allows for the image and the image's background to be as crisp as possible. The phone's camera could have been upgraded with a higher pixel size to create better low- and high-light pictures, however this is easily remedied with the camera's pro (a.k.a. manual) mode which allows you to change every aspect of the photo-taking experience.

UI:
The...

Build quality 8/10 The entire body is aluminum, chrome, and antenna bands. These are all quality materials, but the execution by LG was subar. The removable slot would have been better aided with a rubber seal to ensure that the slot would be flush against the phone itself. Also, the chrome edge was occasionally disturbed by bits of cellular antennas. This makes it seem like the chrome was chipped off, and it would have been better to make the entire edge of the phone the cellular band.
Reception 9/10 The reception on this phone is not perfect, but is on par with all of the other phones released in 2016 so far.
Call quality 10/10 I make a lot of phone calls, and I have never had a complaint from either end of the phone line: I hear the other person clearly and the other person hears me clearly without disturbances even when walking down a busy street of Wisconsin's capitol.
Internet 10/10 This phone has no problems connecting to the internet and its ability to connect to bluetooth devices and wi-fi is unbeatable compared to other devices.
Camera 9/10 The phone's three separate cameras have some of the best features available today -- wideangle view, reproduces true colors (doesn't oversaturate), laser autofocus is incredibly fast, the HDR of the phone allows for the image and the image's background to be as crisp as possible. The phone's camera could have been upgraded with a higher pixel size to create better low- and high-light pictures, however this is easily remedied with the camera's pro (a.k.a. manual) mode which allows you to change e
UI speed 9/10 The UI is seamless, however I have never been a fan of non-stock UIs and always download Nova Prime. However, if you don't mind a little bloatware and a UI experience similar to Samsung's newest Touchwiz, then you won't mind the new UI by LG.
Everyday usage 8/10 The phone works great if you are outdoors a lot -- featuring some of the fastest charging available, a removable battery, and the highest brightness rating available to date. However, due to LG going with an LCD display, a backlight is still required to power the device's display allowing for some backlight bleed and blacks being a little bright.
Display 9/10 LG went with its usual 2k Quad HD IPS LCD display -- arguably one of the best LCD displays out there. Colors are true (no oversaturation, as found in AMOLED displays), the contrast is amazing (second-best to Samsung's Super AMOLED), and the phone features an Always-On Display (which is second-best only to Motorola's latest Moto X Pure Edition).
Battery 8/10 The battery on this phone is going to be arguably the smallest on the market in 2016. However, LG makes up for that with the fastest charging available and the ability to swap the battery out.

Pros

• One of the Best Cameras Available
  • One of the Best LCD Displays Available
  • Fastest Charging on Market
  • Best Always-On Display on Market
  • Swappable Modules
  • Swappable Battery
  • Fastest Performance on Current Market
  • Fastest Fingerprint Scanner on Market

Cons

• Small Battery Life (2800 mAh)
  • Design Has Flaws
  • Swappable Modules Currently Limited

tleskiv
posted on 07 Apr 2016, 17:21 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Apr 2016)

G5

tleskiv has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

great everyday phone. so simple. fits perfectly in hand. great display. so smooth no lag. always on display is very helpful. swapping battery is useful. speaker is good. so used to not having an app drawer now and i love it.

• speed