HTC One (M8) for Windows User Reviews

snowgator posted on Jun 21, 2015, 12:25 AM
Posts: 3621; Member since: Jan 19, 2011

Excellent Flagship for Windows Phone

snowgator has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Please note: This is for the AT&T version of the M8 for Windows. EDITED FROM ORIGINAL REVIEW.

I have had some bad experiences with HTC- both Android (through friends and family) and WP (The Titan and Titan 2 were both unpeasent for me). So when I decided that I was in need of an upgrade, the One M8 for Windows was not really on my radar. But I wanted an up to date flagship with more powerful internals to ensure that complex tasks were no problem. HTC has been trying to reinvent themselves, and I liked the M8's looks. So, when this came to AT&T, I gave it a bunch of tries at the stores. ...

....and the boxes on my wishlist started getting checked off. Great, detailed screen? Love the screen on this. It has enough detail to enjoy web-text as well as little items on pictures. Great audio? I am a HUGE podcast listener and have an XBOX Music subscription, and the better audio just really sold itself. Managable size? Check. Eye pleasing design? Check. Up to date specs? Oh yeah, double check. It had good call quality, although I do not think voices are as crisp as my L920 or some of the other phones I have used. (Speaker phone is excellent. I just do not use the speaker phone option much.) It is so pleasing to use as an everyday device, very comfortable to handle and carry. As for the camera, I am not that much of a photo guy. For me, I want three things: Auto focus to work quick, shutter speed to be fast, and the flash to not wash things out. Check, check, check.

Also, because...

See edit in write up.
I have had such an improvement to the LTE and phone reception over my Lumia 920 it is amazing.
Not as crisp as some other devices, but no way is it bad. Call quality is important to me, so I rate this harder than most.
Loads quickly. Not one website failure.
I stream music and watch TNT, ESPN, and a few other channels. All load up excellent. Screen is fine for killing time.
I will take everyone's word that this is not a strong point. I will admit I do see a bit of a drop in sharpness details from my L920. But shutter speed is AMAZINGLY quick, and I think people are harsh without real reason. The camera will record video well and I am fine with it's performance.
Quick as a hiccup.
See edit in write up.
No problems.
High Def screen is excellent for details and reading script.
I can make it nearly a day and a half when I do not stream video. Excellent battery.

Pros

• Excellent battery life
  • All Android options fit- no other WP has as many accessory options.
  • all commands are completed quickly, sites and apps load without fail.
  • Sexy looking device.
  • Excellent reception.
  • Great audio for a smartphone.

Cons

• Call quality is not as strong as it should be.
  • Camera is fine, but it is not up to other flagship cameras.
  • HTC support was like pulling teeth- see edit.
  • Continued screen failures over three returns.

Earit posted on May 13, 2015, 6:21 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: May 13, 2015

My favorite phone so far

Earit has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Working at a major carrier, I get the opportunity to own several phones each year if I want. I went to windows a few years ago and haven't looked back, but always used a phone from the Lumia lineup. I bought the M8 for Windows to replace my Lumia 1520 since Nokia didn't have another alternative out at the time. I quickly fell in love with the front speakers, the beautiful screen and the build of it. I tried to replace it with the HTC M9 Android, but decided I missed the M8 too much to do so. Now my M9 sits idle while I work, then play all day on my M8 Windows. Cant ask for much better. The camera quality is mediocre and the screen struggles to adjust in some light, but outside of those flaws, it's everything you want in a phone. Plus it's durable, fast and damned good looking!

Some say it's waterproof, All I know is it is comfy to hold and doesn't get hot when it's charging.
Camera is underwhelming. It does some cool tricks, but the clarity and colors could be much better.
Very satisfying to use daily. It multitasks well and switches between things easily all while managing the battery usage and ram without any trouble. Couldn't ask for a better experience.
WordFlow is incredibly accurate, also the speech to text is very very good.
Doesn't adjust in the light very well with the "auto brightness" on.
This battery lasts all day even with VERY heavy usage. Most impressive phone I've used short of the Lumia 1520.

Pros

• Front facing speakers
  • Windows 8.1
  • front facing camera

Cons

• Rear camera quality
  • Weird auto brightness adjustments

Earit alternatives:

mitchogaard posted on Oct 02, 2014, 1:28 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 29, 2014

Great M8, Mate!

mitchogaard has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

My previous phone was the HTC 8X. I love that phone. Everything about the design was great for me. The M8 brings even more of that, but with a full HD screen and front-facing speakers.

The camera has been working pretty awesomely as well. It tends to do better in low light than other phones that I've had. In brighter situations, I get a little bit better color on some other devices I've had, but by no means is it bad.

One of the things I like most about the M8 is that there are no hardware navigation buttons (Home, Back, and Search). They are just on-screen with the rest of the stuff in Windows Phone. I love being able to hide those buttons when I don't need them; for example, if I'm watching YouTube.

As far as how the phone feels in hand: a little bit weighty. However, that definitely gives it a really solid feel. The all-metal body will certainly stand the test of time. Also, one of the little things that ends up being pretty important is that the buttons for power and volume are very tactile, almost clicky. It's easy to tell when you've pressed the button, unlike some phones where those particular buttons can be a bit mushy.

All-in-all, I've already recommend this phone to anybody looking for a top-end Windows Phone. It's a solid buy and won't disappoint.

sanchx32 posted on Sep 13, 2014, 9:57 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Sep 13, 2014

True Windows Upgrade

sanchx32 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Coming from a Nokia Windows phone, I was surprised at the differences. The brightness of the screen stood out right away. On my way to Seattle, I took pictures of Mt. Rainier from the plane and the zoom on the M8 got a much closer picture than the Nokia. My Nokia did not have 8.1 yet so that added a new addition to the experience thanks to Cortana, Notification window, and alot more customizations. Boomsound really makes a huge difference when sharing videos with friends, the sound is rich and loud. The Dot view case adds alot of cool functions when the case is closed, but for me as a lefty made holding the phone ackward since the flap trys to close unless it is wrapped around and held in place behind the phone. If you wanna truely wanna feel the difference going to a Windows Phone, this is the phone to bring that experience to you!

hfielding posted on Sep 07, 2014, 9:41 PM
Posts: 3; Member since: Dec 24, 2011

Phone has bugs

hfielding has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Had this phone for almost 2 weeks, I really like it, but there is some type of bug. Not sure if its Hardware or software but it has issues. The phone began rebooting a number of time throughout the day for no apparent reason, Called Verizon and called HTC, both claimed they have not hear of this, but searching through the forums, there seems to be a number of people having the same issue. I had the phone exchanged only to have the same problem on the second phone.
I would not suggest buying this phone right now. See the link below.

Pros

• Great phone for the most part

Cons

• Phone has bug and keeps rebooting
  • There is a bug with the bluetooth
  • the dock takes away from the screen size

scotiez posted on Sep 08, 2014, 8:43 PM
Posts: 0; Member since: Aug 24, 2014

The phone other manufactures will want to beet

scotiez has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I bought this phone cause I wanted something to work well with my widows 8.1 laptop and desktop computers. This phone is a dream and so easy to sync all devices. It also has office installed so I can view my documents and even edit them. My previous phone was an iPhone 5 and it was impossible to open secure documents that require a password.
Now to the phone, Battery life is really really great. I haven't had a phone that was this easy on the battery since before smart phones. Call Quality and reception is also great, Just as good as my iPhone I had previous to this. Internet is fast and responds right now. Camera is also good but its a feature I will not use a lot, I am a photographer and use my dslr for my photography. I was able to import all my iTunes music very easy with the app that installed once hooked up to my desktop. I listen to music daily and a lot, I think this phone does a better job then apple. It also has a micro sd card, I use this card for all my music storage so my phone is clear for anything I really need more space for. The display is great, I have NO complaints on this phone so far, It didn't take long for me to fall in love with this phone. I think if your a office user and want a very good, fast, and reliable phone this is one you should probably get.

UPDATE
I have had this for over 2 weeks now. I retired my bose earbuds and purchased some Bluetooth Jaybird Bluebuds x, OMG these ear buds are so good, nice and crisp music with just the right amount of...

all metal back, phone just feels solid and not cheap.
great reception, No static or dropped calles
sounds like the person is in the same room, super great.
really fast, immediate action
im able to multitask very easily without hang ups
not as good as some phones but still very good
its windows 8.1 come on get real :)
best phone I have had so far.
love texting with the 5 inch screen, much easier then my old iPhone 5
Great HD display
OMG this is the best battery life I have experienced in a smart phone. The operating system and battery are very easy on eachother, No reason cant get 2 or maybe 3 days out of this.

Pros

• Battery life, syncs with laptop and desktop computers easy, call quality is great, no dropped calles, love the camera with 2 lenses to refocus after the shot. Opens Office documents with out getting and paying for additional software or apps.
  • Excellent Bluetooth for music with Jaybird bluebuds X
  • Runs smooth without haveing to reboot very often.

Cons

• NONE