Samsung Galaxy S III update for Verizon has some issues with LTE connectivity
posted by Alan F. / Jun 01, 2013, 2:51 PM
According to those who have already installed the update, it apparently interferes with signal strength. Some users who had been getting 4 bars of 4G LTE service are now getting just 1 or 2 bars. Others are saying that data speeds have slowed considerably while some aren't receiving any 4G LTE signal at all. And even the usual fixes, like turning on and off airplane mode, or doing a factory restart, aren't solving the problem.
One unofficial solution is to change your settings from Global to LTE/CDMA. Go to Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks and change the network mode to LTE/CDMA instead of Global. Let us know if that helps you out by dropping a comment in the box below. This is a pretty big update for Samsung Galaxy S III owners on Verizon with some cool features that have been long awaited. Let's hope Samsung can take care of this quickly.
source: AndroidCommunity via AndroidAuthority
- Display 4.8" 720 x 1280 pixels
- Camera 8 MP / 1.9 MP front
- Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus, Dual-core, 1500 MHz
- Storage 32 GB + microSDXC
- Battery 2100 mAh(15.00h talk time)
Posts: 334; Member since: Aug 03, 2012
Ouch, thats terrible. Another reason why you should wait for feedback before installing updates.
posted on Jun 01, 2013, 3:06 PM 2
I installed the update when it was announced and my phone still gets the same 4G LTE coverage which was always 2 to 3 bars. But now my phone has a hard time connecting to the Samsung provided headphones and my phone is now extra laggy. I love my phone and really dont want to have to get a replacement so I hope that Samsung can fix this.
posted on Jun 01, 2013, 3:21 PM 0
Posts: 6; Member since: May 25, 2012
The update totally messed up my phone. My signal strength shows my 4g LTE is fine but pages won't load and even get connection errors on the websites.
posted on Jun 01, 2013, 4:11 PM 0
Posts: 14; Member since: Jun 01, 2013
Not surprised. It's an Android and a POS Samesung.
posted on Jun 01, 2013, 4:47 PM 0
Posts: 1; Member since: Jul 21, 2012
Oh, run home to your little iCommunity where everything looks the same and the world is all in teeny tiny square boxes and leave the rest of us - you know,,,people with style and imagination? alone. This is a forum for Android Samsung users - if you are neither then you have no business posting here. Run away, little clone...
posted on Jun 02, 2013, 7:24 PM 0
Posts: 11; Member since: May 10, 2013
My Galaxy S3 works fine and has improved my LTE coverage, but others that own the S3 are having numerous problems (No LTE coverage, only 3G service; unable to send text msg, longer load times for apps, battery drainage and some apps force closing.
posted on Jun 01, 2013, 6:11 PM 0
Posts: 17; Member since: Nov 20, 2009
i don't think its the update, i haven't installed it yet and i have 1 bar of 3G when i usually have 3 of 4G and text messages are not always going through
posted on Jun 01, 2013, 7:43 PM 0
Posts: 64; Member since: May 08, 2010
try a PRL update.
posted on Jun 01, 2013, 10:03 PM 0
Posts: 58; Member since: Jan 09, 2012
After the update, my S3 was showing that it was connected to both WIFI and 4G, both at home and at work. Did a little research online and found that it seems to be connected to the "Caller Name ID for Mobile Devices" bloatware...followed the advice to disable it in settings and now everything seems OK again; not noticing any other issues.
posted on Jun 02, 2013, 10:13 AM 0
Just read comment #13. I couldn't change anything in the settings for the application. I stopped the application and then said I did not want to continue the free trial or continue to have the free part of the service active. I was then able to go back into the application manager and disable the application. This removed the dual data connection and the phone operates as before. ( i ignored all the impending doom warnings.)
posted on Jun 02, 2013, 3:29 PM 0
Posts: 46; Member since: Dec 02, 2011
I have had nothing but issues since I updated my phone. The same areas where I had full LTE and full data working now have no data and still show full LTE strength. Other areas now show no LTE and no data working. I told my wife and some friends not to download the update because I have had nothing but trouble with it.
posted on Jun 03, 2013, 8:12 AM 0
Posts: 10; Member since: Jun 04, 2013
I've discovered something that works for me. Go to your settings, under application manager, to all and disable the Caller Id. There's a constant communication loop the app goes through and disabling this completely has fixed my issues. Phone runs as it did prior to this atrocious update.
posted on Jun 04, 2013, 10:05 PM 0
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):