Nokia Lumia 822 for Verizon leaks with rounded corners
posted by Daniel P. / Oct 09, 2012, 3:44 AM
codenamed Nokia Atlas, and should sport a 4.3" WVGA AMOLED display with the new ClearBlack tech for better outdoor readability, 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 chipset with LTE connectivity, 1GB of RAM and 8MP camera on the back with LED flash.The device is
interchangeable back covers that add different functionalities to the phone, like ruggedness or wirelesss charging, and Nokia added a few scoops recently about the international version which should hold true for Verizon's 822 variant as well:
- The NL 820 supports 64 GB microSD cards.
- The battery needs to be removed to insert or replace the card.
- The screen is not Gorilla Glass, but is scratch resistant.
- The snap-on covers made the device both Uni-body, which is good, but also versatile, for example adding wireless charging or a rugged shell.
- The camera is module is the same as the Nokia Lumia 900, but features a new software experience which is “greatly improved and new”
- Nokia is “looking at the possibilities” of a standby clock on the screen when the device is sleeping.
- The rugged case did allow Nokia to address different channels such as both consumer and business with the same device.
- Nokia did not comment whether future devices will also have wireless charging.
- Nokia may look into a rugged shell with wireless charging included.
- Nokia could not talk about delivery dates, pricing and availability yet.
- They were able to have better battery life on the NL 820 despite a smaller battery due to the Snapdragon S4 engine with improved power management capabilities and also Nokia know-how & expertise on the power management.
- They hopes to leverage the fact that Qi wireless charging is an open standard, but could not comment on 3rd party plans.
- The NL 820 has a WVGA screen due to “much better readability for our consumers on the display size and due to the fact that the performance, mainly FPS, is something amazing in the new Lumia 820 OLED display with that specific resolution.”
- The NL 820 screen features Nokia’s ClearBlack display and other Nokia specific features like Sunlight Readability Enhancement.
Well, the WP8 high-end section on Verizon seems to be all with HTC Windows Phone 8X for the taking, but if you don't want to break the piggy bank, and still sport a nice Lumia device with free offline navigation and speedy processor, the Lumia 822 is right up your alley, depending on the final contract price, of course.
- Display 4.3" 480 x 800 pixels
- Camera 8 MP / 1.2 MP front
- Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus, Dual-core, 1500 MHz
- Storage 16 GB + microSDXC
- Battery 1800 mAh(11.7h 3G talk time)
Posts: 519; Member since: Apr 30, 2012
i'm glad, I thought V will not get any Lumia. Still i need 920 even if i break my mom and pops piggy bank
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 3:50 AM 11
Posts: 1236; Member since: Sep 26, 2012
Is it just me or the design just went from being really good to just average. somehow the rounded corners arent adding to the appeal of the design.
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 7:34 AM 0
Posts: 3991; Member since: Jan 04, 2012
Well they had to do something to make the 920 more premium, rather than just a larger screen. Besides, the back comes off, and I can't imagine a way to make that concept work well on an N9/Lumia 800/900/920-like design without losing the tangible niceness of having it be one piece
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 7:53 AM 1
Posts: 453; Member since: Jun 29, 2012
this is all well and nice, but what about europe??? no news on any other models, rather dissapointing. i would love a lumia 720 lower end device as i do not need multiple cores, nor lte (there is little coverage here) nor nfc (it simply does not exist here) so a nice looking 4" with changable covers and single core 1.5ghz with a gig of ram and sd card support would be just fine...
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 4:13 AM 1
Posts: 973; Member since: Aug 09, 2012
Exactly. No news about that. Even the asian countries. Please make the new Lumias available globally. Darn.. Nokia's marketing strategy has always been so miscalculated.
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 5:15 AM 1
Don't know about other countries but India will get it between October 27 and November 2, pricing unknown. But looking at launch prices of Nokia smartphones in India and elsewhere, I expect them to be 100 euros cheaper than their European/American counterparts.
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 7:39 AM 1
Posts: 374; Member since: Oct 01, 2012
Apple better not cause problems. "Rounded corners" always reminds me of stupid apple patents.
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 4:33 AM 5
Posts: 10457; Member since: May 14, 2012
You had to mention them didn't you?
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 6:18 AM 0
Posts: 374; Member since: Oct 01, 2012
What? when i first saw the title i thought it was going to be about apple suing nokia (anythings possible). Its so misleading, i even had popcorn ready for the comments. you cant imagine my disappointment.
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 6:39 AM 1
Posts: 43; Member since: Sep 07, 2012
"Nokia is “looking at the possibilities” of a standby clock on the screen when the device is sleeping." This is a symbian feature (+ missed calls and sms notifications) that is unimaginably useful and unexpectably not a battery vampire. All my friends with Androids are jealous of this! :) (And I bet that this is really easy for all the AMOLED panels...)
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 5:47 AM 1
Posts: 341; Member since: Sep 20, 2011
Rounded Corners? I smell an Apple lawsuit..
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 6:34 AM 3
Posts: 374; Member since: Oct 01, 2012
wtf? somebody came here and gave everyone a dislike. Same thing on another post relating to nokia, only that time there were more than one, five perhaps. when are these haters going to stop.
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 7:43 AM 1
Posts: 4851; Member since: Apr 13, 2012
They wont stop, even going back few months all Nokia and Windows gets Trolled and Thumbs down, haters and dislikers....
posted on Oct 09, 2012, 7:53 AM 4
Posts: 1597; Member since: Feb 14, 2011
I like this design better than a the Nokia Lumia 820 or the 920. but if I had been Verizon I would have added 2 needed things to this smart phone that would have made it a Super Windows 8 smart phone which are a 4.3 High def screen with Gorilla glass. This smart phone dersign is better to me than the 920 except in camera design because 1= it has the same CPU and Ram the 920 has 2= you can upgrade it's main memory to 64gigs with a micro SD. card, 3=you can change the battery to a fresh one if you are away from a charger unit. 4=you can change this smart phones Appearance 5=cheaper to buy than a 920. Nokia's Head staff could have had 2 super smart phones on the market not just the 920 if they just have given the Nokia lumia 820 and 822 an HD screen and Gorilla glass. I know they want to make them cheaper than a 920 but to tell the truth I am scared to have a smart phone without gorilla glass and would a hi def screen added that much cost to these smart pones. hey the HTC 8x has a 4.3 hi def screen. yoo nokia make an Lumia 830 with the better screens
posted on Oct 10, 2012, 12:55 AM 0
Posts: 1869; Member since: May 03, 2012
looks better than the iPhone that's for sure! i cant wait for this1! but still i want 920 to be available to all carrier! even though 920 is exclusive to AT&T T mo should get 910 and verizon will get 922 so that everybody is happy!
posted on Oct 10, 2012, 7:19 PM 1
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):