Led by Samsung, smartphones outship featurephones in West Europe

Led by Samsung, smartphones outship featurephones in West Europe
According to a new report from research firm IDC, smartphone shipments are now outpacing featurephone shipments in West Europe. During Q2, featurephone shipments in the region declined 29% year-over-year to 20.4 million units while smartphones shipments rose 49% to 21.8 million units. That is the first time that smartphones have surpassed the more basic handsets in West Europe. Total handset shipments declined 3% thanks to the tough economy in the area, but smartphones controlled 52% of the total.

So which company was the top handset manufacturer in the area during the last quarter? Thanks to the amazing success of the Samsung Galaxy S II, one out of every three handsets shipped in Western Europe during Q2 had the Samsung brand., That worked out to 13.9 million handsets, a 29% increase from 2010's second quarter when Samsung controlled one out of every four handsets sold. A stunning 44% decline in shipments from 16.2 million to 9 million took Finnish based Nokia's marketshare down to 9% from a 37% share last year. It was good enough for a second place finish (no pun intended). The biggest increase in share had to do with Android, as being tethered to the green robot boosted HTC's shipments by 121%  year-over-year to 3.1 million, placing them fourth behind Apple. The Cupertino based firm shipped 4.6 million Apple iPhone units in Q2, a 64% increase from the prior year and enough for an 11% slice of the pie and third place. In fifth place for the quarter was RIM. The BlackBerry maker increased shipments by 15% to 3 million for a 7% marketshare.

Remember HTC's huge jump for the period? It was certainly helped by Android which had an amazing 352% increase in shipments from last year's figure. That works out to a leading market share among mobile OS challengers with a 48.5% slice.

source: mocoNews.net via Engadget



1. remixfa

Posts: 14605; Member since: Dec 19, 2008

look at the SGS2 DESTROY the iphone4 in sales. yup yup. i see some sad iFan posts any second now.

2. ivanko34

Posts: 617; Member since: Sep 04, 2011

don't be so aggressive. I own a s2. We don't care of apple. Let them believe they are king of the world. They are captive of apple. They cannot escape. Each year they wait and must buy the new iphone... So let them be mad after android and samsung galaxy phones and tabs.

3. snowgator

Posts: 3621; Member since: Jan 19, 2011

Hold off on that victory dance, remixfa. How SG2 and the Droid Prime holds up to the iPhone 5 is much more important than how it holds up to the year old iPhone 4. No doubt GS2 is the boss handset right now. Not even close.

5. taz89

Posts: 2014; Member since: May 03, 2011

S2 is a amazing device and I doubt the iphone will be superior spec was...everything rumoured about the iPhone 5 the s2 already has it...they only area the iPhone 5 will be superior is in sales but that's because there's only going to be one iPhone 5 and it will be competing with android and others where as the s2 has to compete with apples as well as other manufacturers of android too and considering that the galaxy line sales are just impressive .....

4. snowgator

Posts: 3621; Member since: Jan 19, 2011

Feature phones will be lumped into basic phones category before long. Lower tier and mid tier Smartphones way outperform feature phones and are much more bang for the buck. There will always be a large market for people who only want to use phones as phones: just talking and texting. It is just not huge. The smart phone market is freaking huge.

6. gallitoking

Posts: 4721; Member since: May 17, 2011

is actually thanks to the SGII, Galaxy,A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H... saturating the Android way... SGII one phone vs one phone.... is easy to claim king of the mountain when the big dog is not around.... SGI may rule now thanks to the Photon, Bionic, and EVO 3D???? enjoy it while you can Sammy... in a month you will be forgotten thanks to the Prime and iphone5....

7. taz89

Posts: 2014; Member since: May 03, 2011

but isnt the prime a samsung device soo if the prime does well its good for sammy and i am sure the gs3 is going to be based on the prime with maybe some enhancements...also sammy is not saturating the market with the gs2...i am sure if sammy had it there way than they would have released the same gs2 they release else where in the world also in the USA but the USA carriers want to differentiate there gs2 from one another but overall its still the same handset.

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.