LG V10's ticker display: Gimmick or useful? (poll results)

LG V10's ticker display: Gimmick or useful? (poll results)
Do you reckon the name LG chose for the V10 is a coincidence? We don't. In fact, our guess would be that LG wanted to go for something that instinctively communicates power. And that certainly makes sense — after all, the new phablet's specs sheets leaves pretty much nothing to desire, and even offers a few perks. 

Like the secondary 'ticker' display up top. With it, you'll be able to peek at the time and weather without ever having to wake up the device, and also know if any notifications await you. When the main panel is on, the 2.1-inch, 160 x 1040 pixel screen will double up as a shortcuts dock, with access to apps and favorite contacts. Unfortunately, its location on the top of what is an already large screen is less than ideal. So we asked you, do you feel like the ticker display is a gimmick or can it be actually useful

The results of our poll are now in, and though we have a clear winner, the split still shows that quite some people are not yet sold on the feature, and some will probably never be. In any case, 58.65% of voters think it's a meaningful, useful addition to the package, while the remaining 41.35% shout 'gimmick!'. Unsurprisingly, the positioning of the ticker was among the more commonly cited reasons to vote no within the comment section. 

LG V10's ticker display: Gimmick or useful?

Gimmick
41.28%
Useful
58.72%

Related phones

V10
  • Display 5.7" 1440 x 2560 pixels
  • Camera 16 MP / 5 MP front
  • Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 808, Hexa-core, 1800 MHz
  • Storage 64 GB + microSDXC
  • Battery 3000 mAh(12h 3G talk time)

FEATURED VIDEO

12 Comments

1. yann

Posts: 613; Member since: Jul 15, 2010

Chris P., are you jealous or what? You don't have it on your phone, right? And you know how much it missing... It is like Nokia glance screen, even better maybe. You didn't try it and already put it on critical side. Why such hate man?

5. TerryTerius unregistered

I think you're confusing two different phrases. - "leaves pretty much nothing to desire" (meaning there isn't much else you could ask for) With - "leaves/there's much to be desired" (meaning that something could be much better, or is missing something) Basically, all Chris said was that on paper the phone seems to be offering a very healthy and fully equipped spec sheet. That's pretty much the opposite of "hating".

2. pwnarena

Posts: 1129; Member since: Feb 15, 2013

should have been placed at the bottom part, to also serve as a the navigation buttons.

3. DevilsAdvocate

Posts: 47; Member since: Jun 28, 2014

At bottom makes sense. Easily accessible and Navigation buttons can be incorporated.

6. FrankUnderwood2

Posts: 243; Member since: Oct 01, 2015

who cares? I am gonna get it any way.

7. banglazbless

Posts: 114; Member since: Feb 05, 2014

Big gimmick.

13. fonelover123

Posts: 153; Member since: May 04, 2015

but it is useful to me

8. 99nights

Posts: 1152; Member since: Mar 10, 2015

As gimmick as samsungs edge display if not the same thing.

9. namesib

Posts: 97; Member since: Feb 08, 2015

Nobody here has the phone; how could you possibly know if it's useful or a gimmick without having used it?

10. plasteek

Posts: 265; Member since: Jun 07, 2015

Il will get it, i will get it, I WILL GET IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Michael.Parker

Posts: 273; Member since: Aug 22, 2015

On a LCD display it is useful but would have been better with an OLED screen as unlike LCD it doesn't have to light the entire screen

12. TBomb

Posts: 1397; Member since: Dec 28, 2012

Has potential to be useful. Especially if they can incorporate the accelerometer into it so if it feels you pick up the phone the screen lights up as opposed to being always on.

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.