Expect shortages of Apple iPad mini with Retina display

Expect shortages of Apple iPad mini with Retina display
Limited supplies of the 7.9 inch Sharp panel for the new Apple iPad mini with Retina display, could lead to shortages of the tablet when it is released next month. The word from Taiwan based supply chain sources is that Sharp is having problems producing the panel using the Oxide TFT process. Korean manufacturer LG Display is having better luck using a-Si process and is the suppler for 60% of the panels used for the iPad mini with Retina display. Sharp accounts for the remaining 40% which explains why a low yield from Sharp's factory could create shortages of the tablet globally.

Apple could have had more sources for the tablet's panel. AU Optronics and Innolux have both tried to get some business from Apple for the new 7.9 inch tablet, but both were turned down.. 

Meanwhile, LG Display is also responsible for 60% of the panels used on the 9.7 inch Apple iPad Air. The remaining 40% is produced by Samsung Display.

source: DigiTimes

Related phones

iPad Air
  • Display 9.7" 2048 x 1536 pixels
  • Camera 5 MP / 1.2 MP front
  • Processor Apple A7, Dual-core, 1400 MHz
  • Storage 128 GB
  • Battery 8820 mAh
iPad mini 2
  • Display 7.9" 2048 x 1536 pixels
  • Camera 5 MP / 1.2 MP front
  • Processor Apple A7, Dual-core, 1300 MHz
  • Storage 128 GB
  • Battery 6471 mAh

FEATURED VIDEO

7 Comments

1. twens

Posts: 1156; Member since: Feb 25, 2012

We all know Ipads don't sell like iPhones. How can there be shortages for a device that won't sell more than 20mil? Apple trying to full the consumer again with fake demand and supply tricks.

3. ScottSchneider

Posts: 336; Member since: Dec 06, 2011

Fool*?

7. Finalflash

Posts: 4062; Member since: Jul 23, 2013

Yes, that much is obvious. They make far more money on the iPad Air, so they want to, once again, force customers to the higher margin model (this time with a two pronged attack of mini shortage and iPad 2). But don't worry, as long as you are not an Apple fan, you are automatically removed from the queue to get screwed by Apple.

2. Droid_X_Doug

Posts: 5993; Member since: Dec 22, 2010

Fortunately, there are alternative 7 (and even 8) inch alternatives to the mini. No big thang.

4. _Bone_

Posts: 2155; Member since: Oct 29, 2012

The "benefits" from breaking away from Samsung.

5. PBXtech

Posts: 1032; Member since: Oct 21, 2013

Why is it the second most rich company on the planet is continually having supply shortages, especially when you consider their CEO was considered by many to be a supply chain guru?

6. phonemonkey

Posts: 168; Member since: Feb 13, 2012

Duh did this need to be covered? Thats like saying expect a shortage on the new iphone lol

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.