Android devices quickly and securely sync with Bluetooth enabled accessories using 'Fast Pair'
'Fast Pair' uses Bluetooth Low Energy for advertising and discovery, and regular Bluetooth for pairing. For example, here is the process of how this new process works on a compatible Android device:
- Turn on a Fast Pair-enabled device and put it in pairing mode.
- Android scans for BLE broadcasts in close proximity of the user's phone and discovers a Fast Pair packet (provided Bluetooth and Location is turned on).
- This packet is sent to Google servers to get back the device's product image, product name and companion app (if there is one).
- The user receives a high priority notification asking them to "Tap to pair" to the device. The notification contains the product name and image.
- When the user taps on the notification, Google uses classic Bluetooth to establish a connection.
- A success notification is shown which contains a link to download the companion app (if there is one).
Google calls this a "seamless and secure" way to connect an Android powered smartphone to the right accessory. And the manufacturers get their name, product and a related app seen by the device owner. It's what we in the media call a "win-win."
Posts: 677; Member since: Mar 25, 2014
posted on Nov 01, 2017, 1:44 AM 5
Posts: 982; Member since: Mar 22, 2011
posted on Nov 01, 2017, 2:31 AM 9
Posts: 2943; Member since: Jul 02, 2014
posted on Nov 01, 2017, 2:57 AM 11
Posts: 1507; Member since: Feb 19, 2017
posted on Nov 01, 2017, 4:31 AM 5
posted on Nov 01, 2017, 4:40 AM 5
Posts: 987; Member since: Jun 22, 2017
posted on Nov 01, 2017, 8:21 AM 2
Posts: 6033; Member since: Aug 06, 2013
posted on Nov 02, 2017, 8:42 AM 0
Posts: 2031; Member since: May 26, 2011
posted on Nov 01, 2017, 6:37 AM 4
Posts: 732; Member since: Sep 18, 2012
posted on Nov 01, 2017, 7:19 AM 0
* Some comments have been hidden, because they don't meet the discussions rules.
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):