LG Optimus M User Reviews

Battery6.7/10
Reception7.5/10
Display8.5/10

neesee9217
posted on 02 Sep 2012, 08:38 (Posts: 0; Member since: 02 Sep 2012)

Time for an upgrade

neesee9217 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I've been through a lot with this phone, from the random freezing,, app problems bad reception, restarts, and most recently, battery issues. So rather than spend my money on a replacement battery, I'm just going to get a new phone. It has served me well though.

Pros

• nice pic resolutuion

Cons

• battery problems
  • bad reception

VeganDeadHead
posted on 01 Oct 2011, 17:25 (Posts: 0; Member since: 01 Oct 2011)

Meh....

VeganDeadHead has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

The phone could have been way better. I used it everyday, but it did freeze a lot, calls were muffled, heated up really fast. For the price I got it at it was a deal. Though, not a great phone. Really frustrating.....really, really frustrating.

Pros

• Small
  • Battery had a good life.

Cons

• Froze
  • lag
  • Restarted itself
  • Key Board Lag or Froze.
  • Muffled calls.
  • Start up time.
  • Didn't float...

Blackra7
posted on 22 Sep 2011, 14:30 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)

Optimus M

Blackra7 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

At first i thought that i was getting a great deal for such a low price, but after to have this phone constantly shut off, or freeze up on me too many times i come to the conclusion that i got played! this phone sucks period.

Pros

Cons

• SUCKS

KellytheSinger
posted on 28 Aug 2011, 03:09 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Aug 2011)

class action suit starting on this LG Optimus M Phone

KellytheSinger has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

If you are a Metro PCS customer and have the Optimus freezing issues please read below.

After 19 phone replacements, I was told that this is all caused from LG pushing the phones onto METRO PCS and that the Android OS 2.2.1 is failing with the servers at Metro PCS which is causing the phone to lock up and in plain terms be confused. After being ran around by technical support and this phone is the only phone in my home i cannot just send it out, nor can they require i be without the use of a phone in case of emergency. After talking with several lawyers, and they reading this forum and MANY MANY MANY MANY more, they are willing to file a class action lawsuit against LG being it is their problem. When asked for an update, it could be a year. This means that the bad batch of 10,000+ phone customers just have to deal with it. This is NOT what customer service is about. I also work in local media and will be bringing this to the attention of every news outlet available. Since LG says its not their problem that I keep purchasing bad phones. I only paid for the first one, Metro PCS is selling bad phones. Metro has agreed to honor my replacements well past the 30 days since they are tired of having this problem. Their techs as as lost as we are.

If you are interested in joining class action lawsuit please post a comment here
so we can enact this with signatures.

Pros

• Skips well on still water.

Cons

• Phone freezes up radomly and regulary for no reason.

goosemuffin
posted on 10 Aug 2011, 12:11

Okay-not bad not great

goosemuffin has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Only a cpl weeks old and am somewhat pleased. It has great features ie. camera and internet accessibility and the apps installed are goodtoo. My issues with the Optimus M are: shutting down in the middle of anything, including simple tasks like texting. It is quite bothersome but from the looks of it, this is a pretty common occurrence with this phone. Cannot use the youtube app due to no flash BUT I have yet to install skyfire or mobo as suggested. The marketplace is pretty amazing, overall I'm pleased just the glitches are bothersome. But for less than $50, one can't complain too much now can we?

Reception 8/10 Not the phones fault, I live in a pretty rural area.
Internet 8/10 Kind of slow.
Camera 10/10 Good quality pics and video.
Battery 6/10 Phone is usually dead way before I'm ready for it to be. Make sure to get a car charger!!!

Pros

• Nice looking
  • Great features

Cons

• Freezing up

Annelise Collette
posted on 08 Aug 2011, 04:35

LG Optimus M

Annelise Collette has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Got this phone today and it keeps on freezing up. When I call out, it goes black. If someone calls me, it goes black. I have to keep pulling out the battery. Tried troubleshooting to no avail. RETURNING IT for a different phone tomorrow. It sucks!

Pros

• It looks to be a nice looking phone externally

Cons

• FREEZES UP have to pull battery to reboot.
  • Would have rated it 0 if it let me.

greg21
posted on 26 Jun 2011, 13:41

metropcs finally got it right

greg21 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

owned the samsung craft and it died on me so i got this instead. both phones are like night and day. the optimus being waaaaaay better imo. does everything i would want a cell to do plus more. camera takes nice pics. phone looks great, not cheap like past metropcs phones. super happy.

Build quality 10/10 nice looking
Call quality 10/10 calls sound crisp
Multimedia 10/10 great games
Battery 10/10 great battery

Pros

• fast os
  • nice looking. doesn't look cheap
  • great battery

Love This Phone
posted on 25 Jun 2011, 10:48

This phone is AWESOME!!

Love This Phone has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I just finished reading the last review and I must say, some people just have terrible luck. Every Cellphone manufacturer has it's couple of bad apples in the bunch (Iphone 4 anyone?), thankfully mines and friends who own this same phone haven't had that problem whatsoever. This might be Metro's most solid all around phone. The Indulge is good too, but it's weaker camera and terrible battery make it a deal breaker. If you're looking for an all around phone with great specs for under $200 with no contract, this one is for you!

Ps: It should be noted that if you're using a screen protector with this phone it will get a little glitchy. The screen is plastic, not glass like the Iphone, so it doesn't need one to begin with. Also, people who are having trouble watching flash content on this phone, download skyfire and dolphin browsers from Android Market. Both are excellent and will let you see and play flash content. Get Tunein to play radio from all over the world and mobo to stream and play any video format!

Pros

• Android OS
  • Super customizable
  • Plays games and takes great pics and vids
  • Easy to use
  • Multitouch

Cons

• None I can think of

ninekilnmegalith
posted on 22 Jun 2011, 23:38

This phone freezes all the time!!

ninekilnmegalith has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I bought this phone 1 week ago, and it started rebooting the same day. This phone will freeze anytime I try to access a website for more than a few pages, sometimes less. Even worse, the phone resets when I'm trying to send text messages! That should be the easiest thing this phone does!

Reception 5/10 Average reception, not that clear
Internet 1/10 I haven't been able to access web pages on any website without problems with freezing or rebooting!
Multimedia 1/10 I can't give this section a good rating because the phone doesn't allow me to use any functions long enough to determine the quality of the multimedia playback.
Everyday usage 1/10 It is constantly rebooting, even when I'm browsing my menu of apps!
Text input 3/10 The voice to text input is cool, but again this phone will lock/freeze while trying to type in text and then reboot if I'm lucky!
Display 5/10 What good is picture quality when the phone spends most of the time rebooting!!
Battery 8/10 Sure, the battery is great, but only because I don't use the phone!

Pros

• Looks cool

Cons

• Freezes
  • Flash not installed
  • Reboots randomly

salexis
posted on 15 Jun 2011, 16:16

Best Android Phone to Hit Metro PCS

salexis has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone is pretty cool. I like it mostly because its light and sleek. Its works perfectly with wi-fi. It comes with a 2GB memory card and trust me you will need it. It easily customizable. It currently has Android 2.2.1 and needs to updated. I would chose this phone over the blackberry 8530 and the samsung android smartphone that costs more than this one. It also can capture video and has a 3.2 megapixel camera. If you are going to use this phone to put videos on youtube I suggest you position your phone in a landscape position. The bill is only $50 a month, but its a 3G phone on a 2G (1X) network. :( It doesn't support flash player which is dissapointing since it comes with a youtube app. If you want to use the youtube app you need wi-fi. If you want to do anything internet-related on this phone such as download apps, wi-fi is highly reccomended. And buy a case for this phone because it will easily slip out of your hand. Overall this phone is a really good phone, but is wi-fi dependent in most cases. You can still download apps and browse the internet w/o wi-fi but it will be kinda slow. You can't watch youtube videos on it w/o wi-fi. One other thing, I can't save contacts into the phone directly, I have to go to gmail and save there and sync it with the phone which is a pain.
If you have an issue with this phone, while its on, take out the battery and let it cool down for about 20 minutes.
ALWAYS PUT THIS PHONE ON IDLE OR YOU WILL DO A LOT OF POCKET DIALING

Build quality 10/10 If you have a phone case it won't slip from your hand, otherwise good luck.
Reception 7/10 3G phone on 2G (1X) Network
Call quality 7/10 Once had a problem with it but was solved with restarting my phone.
Internet 6/10 Wi-fi dependent below average speed w/o it.
Camera 9/10 3.2 Megapixel and can take long videos
UI speed 9/10 Its fast with things non-internet related.
Everyday usage 8/10 I can't save contacts into the phone directly, I have to go to gmail and save there and sync it with the phone which is a pain.
Display 9/10 you have to have the phone very bright when the sun is shining on it or you won't be able to see it.
Battery 10/10 Very GOOD battery length it lasts all day, with brightness all the way dowm

Pros

• Battery Length

Cons

• High Cost

YM11
posted on 11 Jun 2011, 04:59

Great mid-level Android smartphone

YM11 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone is a steal for the price ($98 for new customers, $148 with an existing $50 plan) considering this is a NO contract phone. Unlimited everything for $50 a month, not to mention the android experience on a great looking phone for under $100/$200 bucks, you just can't beat that! Plays tons of games and apps (PES 2011 and Angry Birds to name a few). Takes lovely pics. processor makes everything run seamlessly. I previously owned an Iphone 3GS on AT&T and this phone down right owns it in terms of performance and reliability, not to mention Metro's better plans (take that AT&T! lol). I definitely recommend this phone.

Pros

• Fast processor & web browser, zero lag on videos, great for txting, takes nice pics, plays games like Angry Birds, good speaker volume

Cons

• None. I thoroughly enjoy this phone!

juchito
posted on 27 May 2011, 08:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 27 May 2011)

Best Phone Period.

juchito has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

LG Optimus M is a good phone, Is the best Metro Pcs phone and one of the best phone out there. Who ever put a bad review on this phone is just totally crazy.There are people that complaints for any little thing, Not everything is perfect. you can buy something for $ 10,000 and can come defective. Thats Life. But this phone is really a good phone. No think twice, Get It.

Pros

Cons

• Nothing

Tiffany
posted on 11 May 2011, 01:05

This phone is whack !

Tiffany has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

When I first got this phone (in January 2011) , it worked great . I loved everything about it . Well for the past month or so , it's been glitchy . I try to update my apps when needed && they begin to update , but then they keep pausing and/or restarting . Then , let's just say 2 apps are updating , well after the pausing && restarting process , in the notification bar it will say that like 6 things are updating . Then in the end , everything is unsuccessful && nothing updates . Same thing when I try to install a new app . It'll say that more than the actual number of things being downloaded , are being downloaded (e.g. 2 things I have selected to install , in the notification bar it will say 5 or some number other than what it really is) and it will keep pausing && restarting the installation process && in the end , nothing will install .

Build quality 10/10 I love the whole design of the phone .
Reception 8/10 Ehh , it's metro .
Call quality 10/10 I can hear perfectly , they can hear perfectly && I love the speakerphone quality .
Internet 7/10 Kinda slow .
Multimedia 10/10 I love the sound quality , especially my music on the music player . I also love the video player quality (sound && picture) .
Camera 10/10 I love the image quality && video quality .
UI speed 6/10 It's pretty slow . Sometimes the keyboard acts up .
Everyday usage 8/10 It's pretty good on battery life , just make sure you keep the background data off && turn the brightness down . Also , you shouldn't have an animated wallpaper or go on the internet for long .
Text input 8/10 I don't like the SWYPE option for the keyboard . I just use QWERTY .
Display 10/10 I love the color && vibrancy of the colors .
Battery 5/10 The battery is good as long as you're not on the internet all the time , you keep the brightness down , you turn off the background data , and you can't really use the music player for long before it eats away your battery .

Pros

• Great call quality (sound)
  • Love the picture quality for the camera and videos

Cons

• Freezes up
  • Keyboard acts up
  • App installation/update glitches

bziranski
posted on 07 Apr 2011, 08:52

LG Optimus M

bziranski has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone is a freaking nightmare!!! Freezes all the time, when it's not freezing it shuts off and restarts it's self!!! Will be going with another provider soon with better more sturdy and reliable phones and service!!! So far this is the worse phone I have ever had!!! AT&T or Virgin Mobile, here I come!!!

Battery 2/10 The phone and provider are awful!!!

Pros

• It makes calls.

Cons

• Everything!!!

sab70
posted on 15 Mar 2011, 15:06

keeps restarting

sab70 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i purchased this phone for my son as a birthday gift and the first day he used it, it kept restarting it was fully charged but it keeps shutting off and restarting it might be a problem with just this phone because i haven't read any reviews that have the same problem so i will be returning it today. overall I'm very upset that my son couldn't enjoy his birthday gift.

Pros

Cons

• didnt have a chance to even use it

lrwilliamsjr
posted on 15 Mar 2011, 13:45

Love it more than it deserves

lrwilliamsjr has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I love the LG 'Optimus M' more than it deserves to be loved. It is my first smartphone and I'm excited by the variety of features and functions, the many new things I can do, and the large color screen as compared to my former phone (the Samsung 'Freeform'). I have no remorse moving up to MetroPCS' $50/month plan with this phone. The phone (at least MY phone) is very "glitchy". In the several days that I have had it it has mysteriously restarted itself right in the middle of some other function (e.g., texting or web browsing). It has also frozen up several times making a reboot nearly impossible (haven't figured out how to get the back cover off to pull the battery and reinsert it...not without breaking the cover anyway). I thought moving from a QWERTY keypad to a virtual, pressure sensitive keypad would be a problem but it isn't too bad--just a little more getting used to. The tactile feed back of the screen helps in verifying that you've actually pressed the key. Battery life is not nearly as good as it was on my old Samsung 'Freeform' but, then, this is a completely different animal. I recommend downloading an app that will help manage battery life.

Pros

• Good looking, well built, lots of features and functions, 'Android' operating system, thousands of free apps for download, inexpensive smartphone.

Cons

• Mysteriously shuts down and reboots itself, freezes up unexpectedly, "glitchy".

Theivan8
posted on 10 Mar 2011, 19:53

Awesome

Theivan8 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I've had this phone for then like 3 months n it's really good.love the andriod 2.2. It's pretty fast with wifi. call quality is good havent dropped a call yet. The only bad thing is the came.would have been better with flash. Pictures are ok could be better. Swpye keyboard gets really annoying

Zozo jenn
posted on 09 Mar 2011, 10:08

Pretty darn good!

Zozo jenn has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This is a pretty darn good phone! I love the swype text feature and the picture quality is excellent. All the apps are great. I can.t imagine myself without one. The only downfall has to be the battery life. I get up at 630 every morning and the battery is at 50 percent by 1pm. If they made a stronger battery I really would not have much to complain about. It can be a little slow at times but everything else makes up for that. Great buy.

Battery 4/10 Battery life is way too short. Have to keep my charger with me everywhere I go.

Pros

• Internet
  • Apps
  • Texting speed

• Camera-no flash

bigjaw73
posted on 01 Mar 2011, 07:55

Good phone bad reception

bigjaw73 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Good phone with Android 2.2 camera works great takes good pics but should of had a flash. Phone does not get a good reception inside the house outside its perfect but sound quality stinks. The first day i had the phone it locked up a few times but has not done it sence the first day

Pros

• Good Android phone

Cons

• No flash for camera

zerouniversaldrift
posted on 16 Feb 2011, 15:44 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Feb 2011)

Best phone MetroPCS carries right now!

zerouniversaldrift has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I got this phone the day it came out and haven't regretted it at all. Even on the 1x network it's a lot faster than my old Samsung Finesse was by a lot. With access to WiFi you can't beat it. Access to all the Android Market apps and ability to upgrade to 32Gb SDCard make this a tough phone to pass up.

Internet 9/10 1x Speed is a little slow, but WiFi makes up for it in a lot of cases.
Camera 9/10 Shoots pics a little rough in low light and video isn't great if zoomed in at all.
Battery 9/10 Out of the box the battery drains quickly due to all the MetroPCS bloatware installed. Rotted the phone and removed everything I wasn't using and I can get through the entire day with lots of battery to spare.

Pros

• Android
  • Memory
  • WiFi

Cons

• 1x network

chinocowboy83
posted on 26 Jan 2011, 19:58 (Posts: 0; Member since: 26 Jan 2011)

Great Android phone at Metropcs

chinocowboy83 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is so beast like i can go on fb side txt everything you want it a phone. This phone is so nice like seriously you practically cant go worng with a metro touch screen probably suits people aged from 12-30 I say if your the apps person get this phone.But honestly android is in the competting market with blackberry you cant go wrong with and android

Reception 8/10 sometimes have bad reception
Call quality 8/10 sometimes lags during call
UI speed 8/10 would work better if it always had good reception
Everyday usage 7/10 if you use it too much in the day the battery will die quicker

Pros

• android market
  • internet
  • keyboard
  • easy use

Cons

• reception

chinocowboy83 alternatives:

unnamedny
posted on 15 Jan 2011, 19:36

unnamedny has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I switched to MetroPCS and I do not regret it. Paying $45 per is the way to go.This is my first smartphone and I love it.

Pros:
-Very fast. No Lag
-Great screen colors and sharpness.
-Good touch screen response.
-3.5mm Headphones jack.
-Easily rooted.
-fast WiFi (I have download 6mbps).
-Good reception.
-It haven't crashed on me once.
-Comfortable power button location.
-Battery life (tweak your phone, you will be surprised how long it's going to run for)

Cons.
-No Flash 10 (if you read the manual it says that it supports flash 10, but it doesn't because it only has 600mhz processor) Skyfire browser is suggested to partually fix the issue.
-speaker sound quality is OK but it think it could have have been better. It's not
really con.
-Low phone memory.

Call quality 9/10 Speaker quality could be better
Internet 10/10 Internet is fast, but Metro PCS does not provide 3G.
Camera 9/10 No flash

shortystuff84
posted on 10 Jan 2011, 13:57

lg optimus m

shortystuff84 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Love this phone. I can update my phone by downloading from the computer. Awesome! I fell in love with this phone before i bought it. Its a great mini computer on the go. Haven't set this phone down since i bought it. Although it has a lot of cons its still a pretty good phone.

Pros

• Android 2.2
  • Good video and camera display
  • Its like a mini computer
  • YouTube videos shows Well
  • voice swype

Cons

• no flash player
  • web browsing is slow
  • battery life sucks
  • no signal when inside

tito
posted on 05 Jan 2011, 19:33

lg optimus m

tito has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

awsome phone works good is fast and its a touch screen so defenetly an awsome fun if your in metro get it worth evry penny. metro keep on coming with the phones.alright listen since the past two years metro has benn comin with some good phone and lg optimus m is the bestt one so far so if u want a cool smartphone then get it.

Build quality 10/10 it has good quality
Reception 9/10 it got good reception

Pros

• touch screen android
  • multimedia
  • awsome aps

Cons

• can be slow sometimes

CamyE
posted on 29 Dec 2010, 23:36

Don't Waist Time Get It !

CamyE has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i got tis phone basically cause my friend got it and i was in jarrastic need of a new phone. i really didn't want a metro but when i heard that they had an android i jumped at the price. internet browsing could be quicker but you can stream youtube but it will take time. reception couldn't be better it's awsome in my area. multimedia falls under the same arena of excellence. camera isn't pearl eye picture but it's good enough for me. all my life i've wanted a camera phone so it's perfect in my case. text input is an 8 out of ten because i don't really care for touchscreen keyboards but swipe is the best. display is definately beautiful. overall this phone is a ten hands down and i love it.

Reception 10/10 everywhere i go i get at least 3 bars of reception with me there's never a no service area
Camera 9/10 its not the best but its truly decent

Pros

• amazing display