Want to legally unlock your iPhone? E-mail Tim Cook!
1. -box- (Posts: 3959; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
This person, knowing he was going to Canada, should have sold the locked phone and either bought an unlocked one from Apple or gotten one from a Canadian carrier. It's called "moving expenses". What a whiner.
2. clevername (Posts: 1435; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Pretty cool. I understand not wanting to jailbreak. On an iPhone 3g jailbreaking really slows it down and drains the battery.
5. stealthd (Posts: 1060; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
It's not illegal to unlock through the other methods. What's ridiculous though is that AT&T refuses to unlock the iPhone when the only other place you can take it in the US is T-Mobile, where you'll get a cheaper plan at the expense of a fraction of the coverage and no 3G (since the iPhone doesn't support AWS).
6. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Props to Tim Cook for going to bat for the customer. But I am trying to understand how AT&T gets to refuse to unlock the phone at the conclusion of the 2 year contract period.
7. kanagadeepan (Posts: 760; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
OMG... What will be the fun if iPhone is NOT jail-broken????
8. drtech (banned) (Posts: 135; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Awesome story. This is why people love Apple!
9. cncrim (Posts: 631; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Nice story, but doesn't make sense. Why Tim Cooker go through all the trouble call ATT blah blah....? why can he just switch unlock one with non-unlock one and it's done deal save his time for something bigger and more important.
10. tmcr7 (Posts: 179; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
The stupid guy should've just sold his iphone and bought a galaxy s2. He doesnt know what he's missing.
11. sheepygalaxy (Posts: 68; Member since: 10 Mar 2012)
when ever you take out a contract with any carrier once your contract is up that phone is completely yours so the network as to unlock it.This as always been the same well in the uk anyway
13. medicci37 (Posts: 957; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Not a apple fan, but it's nice 2 know that Cook isn't as arrogant & uncaring as his mentor.
14. ndrey (Posts: 41; Member since: 30 Nov 2012)
I've tried this. It's not possible any more. The only way to unlock IN CONTRACT devices is by using any paid service likehttp://att-iphone-unlock.com/ as they are proven leaders in this area