Sony's design director talks Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Katsunuma discussed the difference between the Sony Xperia Z, which he says uses a plastic frame, and the Xperia Z Ultra which uses aluminum side plates. This allowed Sony to make it thinner than the Xperia Z. The latter is 7.9mm thick while the Xperia Z Ultra weighs in at 6.5mm thick. Another difference between the two high-end models revolves around the color purple. Both can be purchased in black, white and purple although the 6.44 inch model uses a solid purple instead of the glittery purple used on the Sony Xperia Z. The reason? It seems that a solid purple color just looks better on the larger model.
So why choose a 6.44 inch screen? Why not round it off to 6.45? Katsunuma said that the 6.44 inch screen happened to perfectly fit a body that would be the thickness and length of a passport. Sony was aiming for that size because many travelers put their passports inside a coat pocket and have it with them at all times while on the road. And by allowing the use of a regular pen to scribble on the glass, travelers using the device won't have to carry around a stylus. While the screen is not made of Gorilla Glass, it is supposedly just as tough.
1. mi55u (unregistered)
big bezel = ugly
5. istitch (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
if the bezel is too small, it wouldnt be practical in handling the smartphone, i mean like typing or navigating on screen.
16. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
this phone shoud be used with both hands so even if it has "zero" bezels,no problems
30. akki20892 (Posts: 3474; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i guess it has some new tech in camera.
17. taikucing (unregistered)
childish design & plastic = even uglier!
18. eisenbricher (Posts: 971; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Side bezels are perfect but yeah, too much space at the top and bottom. Even Galaxt Mega 6.3 looks much smaller compared to Xperia ZU.
3. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
somebody ask him about low ppi,thick bezels,lack of flash,small battery,and a whole list continues....
8. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Low ppi? No
But thick bezels, lack of flash, small battery....Yes!!
9. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
once you get used to 441ppi you can never make a downgrade!if it were tab it wouldve been ok coz i have flagship phones along with it which comes with dense pixels to consolideate.are you getting my point?
10. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
So, your laptop has 19200 X 10800 or something around that resolution to satisfy your need for 440pp?
11. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Are you mutant or bionic? Or something that has microscopic eye vision? You're not supposed to put the phone 10cm from your eyes. It's like saying that 4k on 32 inch - televisions aren't enough.
13. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
dude,i borrowed s4 from my friend for 1 day.after that its uncomfortable for me to use my 720p screen.thats what happens when you downgrade your ppi
22. cyborg009 (Posts: 92; Member since: 17 Sep 2011)
You are exaggerating.. unless you are seeing a 720p screen on a laptop and 1080p on mobile.. otherwise even 720p is good enough resolution till 4.5 to 5 inches.
I agree that a phone with 6.4' inch display should've better res than 1080p but still not a deal breaker.. Good thing is the display tech on this is better so viewing angles and colors look good.
No flash is a no go for me!
20. rgxVOiD (Posts: 434; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
411ppi, what screen size is that. Is it 6.44? I think not
28. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Galaxy mega 6.3 With smaller size and plastic body weight 199g vs Xperia ZU With bigger size metal and glass body weight 212g. 13 different only
i think Sony doing better job Here
19. taikucing (unregistered)
You think 342 PPI is low? Scumsung Galaxy Note II has lower PPI (267).
Perhaps you see your phone 1mm from your eyes?
29. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
full hd with 344ppi it's even better than iphone 5 and S3
21. rgxVOiD (Posts: 434; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
That's why they're releasing waterproof phone
23. pyradark (Posts: 772; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
that's why every sony phone survive!!
called that to your S4 so-so sale and other S4 family, maybe the S4 active can survive
24. tadaa (Posts: 247; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
With good looking phones. At least their flagship and lowest end phone does not look the same
27. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Lets have some comparison
since january 2013
Samsung announced about 39 devices vs Sony only 10 devices
25. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6497; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Just give me the damn z ultra already.
26. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5783; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
If you are in the U.S., be prepared for a bit of a wait. :-( Sony hasn't exactly set records for rollout speed in the U.S. in times past.