Smartphones with big screens are stupid, says Nokia
1. andro. (Posts: 1999; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Well judging my nokias status and sales in the smartphone recently i dont think anyone should take their comment seriously.
Android for instance has a wide range of phone screen sizes to suit all tastes from 2.5 inch right up to 5.3 inch. My Nokia has a gripe about this is puzzling
22. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
yes, nokia is taking the same style from microsoft, the babyhurtstyle :-)
58. messiah (Posts: 438; Member since: 19 Feb 2010)
they also thought that touch phones were a fad..... they lost that jump too.... dorks
3. Giggity (Posts: 147; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
Smartphones with bigger screens will reduce eyes strain compare to smartphones with smaller screen, but my preferred size would be around 4"- 4"5.
9. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Im all for bigger screens as the bezel shrinks. Right now i completely agree with 4-4.5 inch screens as my "sweet spot". But that is mostly due to the bezel size around them. As bezels shrink and go away, we can get even more screen in the same size device, which will be great.
Its not monster truck syndrome, its ease of use. I dont like putting my phone to my face and squinting my eyes to read a web page or document. Nokia is just shooting sour grapes.
15. Giggity (Posts: 147; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
Well, this too, keep the same ol' dimensions and reduce the bezel would work too.
57. gevvyd (Posts: 13; Member since: 17 Feb 2010)
especially texting on a 3.2 inch C6-01 screen....A pain in the f**king ass!!!! my worst buy in my entire life!!!
85. corps1089 (Posts: 492; Member since: 20 Jan 2010)
I'm for higher quality and definition than size. I wouldn't go more than about 4.3 to 4.5
Higher screen resolution will also reduce eye strain [like HD TVs reduce eye strain and can be viewed at closer ranges].
4. DrewMonroe (Posts: 21; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
nokia implies that other companies should incorporate the lenses of SLRs in a cellphone. sadly it doesn't realize that others manage to put the whole cinema and theatre in their devices literally =p
5. ryq24 (Posts: 731; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
phone with 5" or more screen should be called a tab and not a phone.
23. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
is it really important? only the everyone's need it important
78. Deicide (Posts: 82; Member since: 02 Jul 2011)
Soon 5in will be the norm. Look 2007 felt 3.5in was right, 2009 felt 3.7in was right, 2010 felt 4in. was right, 2011 felt 4.3in was right, late 2011 felt 4.5in was right, and now 2012 4.7+ is right. What will 2013 be? 4.9in~5.0in?
6. Evil_SaNz (Posts: 259; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Smartphone's main purpose is internet surfing. So the bigger, the better - it's more important for a smartphone to be thin than small, else seems a cigarette pack in the pocket.
79. Leo_MC (Posts: 1585; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
smartPHONE's main purpose is making phone calls...
82. kanagadeepan (Posts: 927; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
NO.. The phone whose main duty is making phone calls is feature-phones...
7. Jericho (unregistered)
i agree with you ryq24
8. jan25 (Posts: 470; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
I understand personal preferences and everything but I prefer phones with a display at 4.3 inch Max. I am already not comfortable using a borrowed Sensation but I am cursed with small hands so that doesn't count.
10. rycx365 (Posts: 37; Member since: 18 Mar 2011)
Smartphones with small screens are even more stupid, says me
11. ChiX017 (Posts: 308; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
But I think he has a point...li mean that's what Apple's been doing with the iPhone for years now, even though people always chant 'Bigger screens' iPhone's with their 3.5" screens have sold Millions...
39. GALAXY-S (Posts: 701; Member since: 07 Jun 2011)
you have to remember that its the Apple logo that sells the phone..
If apple made an iphone with 4-4.5 inch people will buy it like crazy too..
12. Captain_Doug (Posts: 997; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
It's not the screen size that matters to me, it's the form factor. That being said, I would much prefer a large screen to a small one. I do watch movies, play games, and more than that, it's useful when typing or navigating. Things are just easier and better looking. But if you do some math, you can fit a 5" screen (16x9) onto a device smaller than the Nexus, Rezound, etc. The screen size only comes out to be 2.45" by 4.36". Throw a tiny bezel on the sides and another little bit on top and bottom and you have yourself a device easy to hold in your hand but still very easy to see. I have friends with iphones or the smaller androids and I have to hold the device right next to my face. I want to be able to use the device from my lap, from the counter-top. You can't do that with anything under 3.7"
51. SeniorEd (Posts: 15; Member since: 16 Feb 2011)
I agree with your 5" screen example. In fact, the Galaxy S III is pretty much going to be that phone .... Very thin, or non existent, bezel on the sides and small on top and bottom, with a 4.8" screen. At least that is what the rumors say.
13. shadez10 (Posts: 427; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
i agree with nokia... instead of making huge huge screens why wont they focus on creating new technologies... for me the ideal smartphone screen should be 3.5" to 4".
and beyond that is just stupid... its almost unusable with 1 hand... -_-
17. jan25 (Posts: 470; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
I hate big screens, but I don't see how bigger screens stand in the way of "creating newvtechnologies "
45. shadez10 (Posts: 427; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
how about galaxy note?.. who's stupid now?..