Nokia chats about Gorilla Glass 3 for the Nokia Lumia 1020
Interviewed in New York was David Velasquez, Corning’s marketing and commercial operations director. Velasquez remembers how the launch of Gorilla Glass came about in 2007, just as the current touchscreen smartphone craze also was taking off. With the release of the Apple iPhone also taking place in 2007, handset manufacturers required a glass that would better protect touchscreen phones. "There is some serendipity there. We were in the right place, at the right time with the right product," said the executive.
The first Gorilla Glass was twice as strong and half the width of its top competitor. Early last year, Gorilla Glass 2 came to market and was 20% thinner with the same strength. Gorilla Glass 3 was first released earlier in 2013 and Corning looked all the way down to the molecular bond of the glass, making adjustments to strengthen the product even more.
Now, to produce a scratch on Gorilla Glass 3, you need three times the force. The Glass also offers a 40% reduction in 'lateral cracks' which asre the kind that can really do damage to the glass. Gorilla Glass 3 also requires a 40% increase in force in order to break the screen after lateral cracks appear.
Besides protecting against scratches and cracks, Gorilla Glass 3 also lets in more light than competitive products which helps when it comes to taking pictures, something that owners of the Nokia Lumia 1020 will do plenty of.
source: Nokia via WMPoweruser
1. SingDaFire (Posts: 74; Member since: 21 Jun 2013)
What ?... The Lumia 1020 is the first nokia to use gorilla glass?.. Maybe gorilla 3 i believe.. Correct it please...
2. Credo (Posts: 702; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
& also the second after the Samsung Galaxy S4 to use it ...
7. iamfury (Posts: 60; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
its written on the very first line that it's gorilla 3....!
11. akki20892 (Posts: 3746; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
But u can't hide from that, if Nokia use gorilla glass 1 it's not gonna break after drop that phone.
13. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Gorilla glass didn't help my Lumia 900 from shattering from a waist high drop. I'm not impressed by the glass, but the phone on the other hand...
14. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Gorilla Glass is over hyped and a crap product. Sapphire glass is what every flagship should be using.
22. ChiX017 (Posts: 308; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Yes n you would pay +$300 for each phone cause its expensive you know?!
3. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
what the hell> Gorilla Glass was used in N8 as well.
4. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1313; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
No other new features to discuss I guess. Next is the type of charger that came in the box.
8. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Its made out of the same poly carbonate that the s4 is made out of lol.
9. x88yunkw (Posts: 87; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
my friend accidentally dropped his s4, and that's it. Screen broken.
15. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Same exact glass is on the 1020, doubt it will do very well in drop test because gorilla glass 3 on s4 = fail.
20. akki20892 (Posts: 3746; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Glass on nokia phones not gonna break easily.
12. krimHD (Posts: 106; Member since: 23 May 2012)
really Sad...well its not like we don't know that would happen if it dropped
17. SIGPRO (Posts: 644; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
They should use Dragon Trail Glass that is way stronger!
19. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
and they say nokia is outdated... pffft
23. MSCCAG (Posts: 14; Member since: 12 Nov 2013)
Lumia 1020 case with bright orange color
It is necessary to have a leather protector,effect avoid the damage from the drop by accident.not only the camera lens. also the screen.
this design is a true shockproof case,totally soft.
Is made from blackberry-cn.com