Instagram on Windows Phone 8? It's not April 1st...yet…right?
For Facebook and Instagram fans it cuts deep too. In the Windows Phone Store we see the ever popular Instagram app just waiting to be downloaded, "your #2Instawithlove prayer has been answered!"
The description promises all the goodness that has made Instagram so popular, photo filtering, easy sharing, interaction with friends along with front and back camera support. Of course, the seasoned tech folks will notice that the claimed “instant” sharing with Twitter is a bit off base since Twitter blocked Instagram from directly sharing photos on the micro-blogging network. Plus, given that Facebook has not even developed a native app for Windows Phone, it would be a stretch to think that its recently acquired subsidiary would be first out of the gate with such an app.
However, the screen shots are exactly what you might expect a native Windows Phone app to look like. It's so convincing! You can try and download the app, buy you will be told that you don’t have permission (we tried too). Finally, all hopes are dashed when you reach the bottom of the description, “And Happy April 1st 2013!..” If you want to subject yourself further, check out the Windows Phone Store page here.
Well played Microsoft, well played.
source: @anontechleaks (Twitter)
Instagram for Windows Phone...not
1. Jyakotu (Posts: 823; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
OMG, why must this be a joke?! If this was real, I would switch to Windows Phone in a heartbeat! Instagram is the ONLY major social networking app missing from the Windows Phone Store that I want.
12. tusshharish (Posts: 342; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
you want to say that it will come with windows phone blue update on all wp8 device..................
14. StreetNerd (Posts: 720; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
it will come to WP with an exclusive filter
2. baldilocks (Posts: 541; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
Why does Windows feel the need to cut words off and make them spread across two screens? That just looks tacky.
5. sprockkets (Posts: 1314; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
It's to give you the visual cue there is more to the right.
But I agree, it looks stupid. And it keeps going to the right without stopping.
4. joey_sfb (Posts: 3132; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Not nice to put the joke on your fan base. A lot of windows phone users are waiting for the real instagram app.
6. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1052; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Exactly. That's not even funny. It's a big reason I'm probably going back to an android phone - lack of support.
7. naveenstuns (Posts: 172; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
It might become real tomorrow
15. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
I honestly have yet to find something I needed that WP8 doesn't support in some fashion. I've never used Instagram, so I've personally never needed an Instagram app. What are you needing support for (other than Instagram)?
8. illusionmist (Posts: 125; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
I think some other individual developer is pulling this, since I think WP doesn't really check if the publisher name is authentic or whatever.
10. lizardpro (Posts: 5; Member since: 01 Sep 2009)
That link looks like the beta link. It is for devs to give out to testers. That is why it won't let us download it. Looks like a tester leaked it. Also is it does say beta
11. TheAce (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
If you click the thing at the bottom that says "Download and install manually,"
a file named instagram.xap is downloaded. Not sure if it does anything, though. Pretty sure you can sideload it or something.
13. lizardpro (Posts: 5; Member since: 01 Sep 2009)
It looks to be a hoax dribbble.com/shots/488588-Instagram-WP7-Concept
16. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
How is this even funny? If this os Microsoft's April Fools joke, then they need a better sense of humor, so lame.
17. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1018; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
LOL SUFFER THEY MUST ALL SUFFER